- Mandela's body lies in state for second day Updated: Dec-12-13 8:14 am
- Desmond Tutu home robbed; was at Mandela memorial Updated: Dec-11-13 12:32 pm
- Behind eulogies, US deeply conflicted on Mandela Updated: Dec-11-13 6:48 am
- Obama shakes hands with Cuba's Raul Castro Updated: Dec-10-13 5:45 pm
- South African president booed at Mandela memorial Updated: Dec-10-13 11:14 am
- Recalling life under apartheid in South Africa Updated: Dec-09-13 7:37 pm
- High-powered traveling companions on Air Force One Updated: Dec-09-13 4:46 pm
- As student, Obama drew inspiration from Mandela Updated: Dec-09-13 4:25 pm
- Israeli leader backs out of Mandela funeral Updated: Dec-09-13 2:14 pm
- Ex-US President Carter heading to Mandela memorial Updated: Dec-07-13 5:32 pm
- Mandela's 1st township home shows lack of progress Updated: Dec-07-13 12:02 pm
- Major events in the life of Nelson Mandela Updated: Dec-06-13 3:16 am
- What you might not have known about Nelson Mandela Updated: Dec-05-13 7:59 pm
- Gracious and tough, Mandela was fun to cover Updated: Dec-05-13 7:54 pm
- How Mandela changed everything with a rugby jersey Updated: Dec-05-13 6:49 pm
- Glance at Mandela's co-defendants in Rivonia trial Updated: Dec-05-13 6:30 pm
- Major events in the life of Nelson Mandela Updated: Dec-05-13 5:26 pm
- Highway toll takes toll on ruling SAfrican party Updated: Dec-03-13 10:31 am
- Czech fugitive appears in South African court Updated: Nov-25-13 12:52 pm
- South African carjackers favor downtown spot Updated: Nov-22-13 12:36 pm
- South Africa cemeteries to microchip tombstones Updated: Nov-15-13 10:14 am
PRETORIA, South Africa - For a second day, droves of mourners filed past the body of Nelson Mandela on Thursday as it lay in state in South Africa's capital, Pretoria.
JOHANNESBURG - Retired Archbishop Desmond Tutu's home was robbed while he was away to attend the memorial honoring Nelson Mandela, police said Wednesday, marking the third time in recent years thieves have targeted him.
WASHINGTON - The Nelson Mandela eulogized to the world by President Barack Obama as "a giant of history" and the "last great liberator of the 20th century" seemed a different person from the one the United States held at arm's length, to put it diplomatically, for much of his life and career.
HAVANA - It was the briefest of moments, just seconds, two presidents shaking hands and exchanging pleasantries amid a gaggle of world leaders together to honor the late Nelson Mandela.
JOHANNESBURG - At Nelson Mandela's memorial, the crowd applauded dignitaries and even cheered the last apartheid-era president. But spectators booed South African leader Jacob Zuma, embarrassing him on an international stage and reflecting challenges that the ruling party, once led by Mandela, faces ahead of elections next year.
JOHANNESBURG - My mother was furious. The operators of the gas station in rural, racist South Africa had taken her money to fill the car, but would not give her the key to the toilets. They were for whites only.
ABOARD AIR FORCE ONE - As Air Force One made its way from Washington to Johannesburg Monday, a president, a former president and a possible future president were all traveling aboard.
WASHINGTON - The comparisons are perhaps inevitable. President Barack Obama and former South African leader Nelson Mandela each served as their nation's first black president, living symbols of struggles to overcome deep-seated racial tensions. Each was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize.
JERUSALEM - Fresh off a series of scandals over his high-flying lifestyle and expensive habits, Israel's prime minister says he will skip Nelson Mandela's funeral on Tuesday due to the high cost of the trip.
JOHANNESBURG - A silver and blue plaque with the words "Mandela's Place" mounted on the brick wall of a small, dilapidated row house is the only recognition of the world-famous statesman who once lived there: Nelson Mandela.
July 18, 1918 - Born to Hendry Mphakanyiswa, a Thembu chief, and Nosekeni Qunu in the Umtata district of the Transkei, at a time when virtually all of Africa was under European colonial rule.
The world knows Nelson Mandela as a man who forever changed the course of modern history and who will surely continue to leave his mark long after his death Thursday at the age of 95.
NEW YORK - The thing about Nelson Mandela was that he made the rest of us want to be almost as noble as he.
JOHANNESBURG - He emerged into bright winter sunshine, stepped onto the lush field and pulled on a cap. His long-sleeve green rugby jersey was untucked and buttoned right up to the top, a style all his own. On the back, a gold No. 6, big and bold.
JOHANNESBURG - Most of the seven men sentenced with Nelson Mandela to life in prison for sabotage and plotting to overthrow the white government were arrested in July 1963 during a police raid on their headquarters, a farm in the Johannesburg suburb of Rivonia.
July 18, 1918 - Born to Hendry Mphakanyiswa, a Thembu chief, and Nosekeni Qunu in the Umtata district of the Transkei, at a time when virtually all of Africa was under European colonial rule
JOHANNESBURG - After years of delay, protests and legal action, a tolling system finally came into force Tuesday on a large part of the freeway network of South Africa's richest province, Gauteng, amid threats by opponents to continue the fight against the tolls which they warn could cost the ruling African National Congress votes in next year's elections.
JOHANNESBURG - In a newspaper cartoon, a Czech fugitive with alleged links to Johannesburg's deadly underworld scolds the Grim Reaper for wanting a vacation.
JOHANNESBURG - The carjackers were swift and methodical. They were also creatures of habit. On three occasions this month, armed criminals who apparently knew their victims were carrying cash or valuables pounced at the same intersection in Johannesburg while CCTV security cameras recorded the brazen heists.
JOHANNESBURG - Amid a rash of tombstone thefts from cemeteries in Johannesburg, a company will be offering relatives of the deceased a high-tech solution: microchips that can be inserted into the memorial that will sound an alarm and send a text message to their cell phones if it is disturbed.