- Ex-in-law testifies from Kazakhstan in Boston Marathon trial Updated: May-06-15 5:56 pm
BOSTON - A former brother-in-law of Boston Marathon bomber Dzhokhar Tsarnaev testified Wednesday from Kazakhstan about the role of a conservative Muslim convert who steered Tsarnaev's older brother toward a stricter version of Islam.
- Chechen leader ready to give evidence in Nemtsov murder case Updated: Apr-30-15 10:19 am
MOSCOW - Chechnya's leader says he is ready to give evidence in the investigation into the murder of Russian opposition leader Boris Nemtsov.
- Russia defends plan to house World Cup teams in Chechnya Updated: Apr-29-15 6:26 am
MOSCOW - World Cup organizers in Russia have defended the possibility of housing teams for the 2018 World Cup in the country's volatile North Caucasus regions, including Chechnya.
- Chechen leader to men: Fire on unauthorized federal troops Updated: Apr-23-15 3:38 pm
MOSCOW - In defiance of those in Moscow eager to curb his powers, Chechnya's strongman leader told his security forces to open fire on Russian federal troops if they tried to operate in the region without his approval.
- Leader of al-Qaida-linked group in Russia's Caucasus killed Updated: Apr-20-15 12:07 pm
MAKHACHKALA, Russia - Russian special forces have killed the leader of an al-Qaida-linked group operating in the Caucasus region of southern Russia, the national counterterrorism agency said Monday.
- Masked police raid Moscow offices of oil tycoon's group Updated: Apr-16-15 1:20 pm
MOSCOW - Masked police on Thursday raided the Moscow offices of a civil society organization funded by former oil tycoon Mikhail Khodorkovsky.
- The Latest: Putin wants refund if French don't deliver ship Updated: Apr-16-15 8:05 am
MOSCOW - 2:56 p.m. (1156 GMT; 7:56 EDT
- Chechen commander in Ukraine drawn into Russian intrigue Updated: Apr-12-15 5:23 am
LYSYCHANSK, Ukraine - From a dimly lit room at his base in eastern Ukraine, the commander of a battalion of Chechens fighting Russia-backed rebels looked shaken as TV broadcast news of Russian opposition leader Boris Nemtsov's slaying. Adam Osmayev hailed Nemtsov as a "true hero" both for condemning Russia's war against separatists in Chechnya and for decrying Russian intervention in the current conflict in Ukraine.
- Russian warns of Islamic State's influence in Russia Updated: Apr-10-15 10:01 am
MOSCOW - A senior Russian intelligence official on Friday warned of the potential influence of the Islamic State group inside Russia, primarily among the Muslims in the North Caucasus provinces.
- Fire engulfs mosque in Russia's Dagestan, no one hurt Updated: Apr-10-15 7:20 am
MAKHACHKALA, Russia - Fire has engulfed the main mosque in a town in the southern Russian republic of Dagestan.
- Tsarnaev relative in Russia says she believes he's innocent Updated: Apr-09-15 7:53 am
GROZNY, Russia - A U.S. jury found Dzhokhar Tsarnaev guilty of the Boston Marathon bombing, and his own lawyer admitted it in court, but a relative said Thursday that she remains convinced that he and his now-dead elder brother had no reason to carry out such a terrorist attack.