- Navy divers to help raise confederate warship artifacts Updated: May-24-15 12:07 pm
NORFOLK, Virginia - The Navy is preparing to send one if its premier diving teams to Georgia to help salvage a Confederate warship from the depths of the Savannah River.
- Norfolk to talk to Portsmouth deputies slated to lose jobs Updated: May-23-15 2:26 pm
NORFOLK, Virginia - The Norfolk Sheriff's Office wants to meet with deputies in nearby Portsmouth who are being laid off.
- Norfolk man visits The Pilot to drop off his own obituary Updated: May-23-15 10:40 am
NORFOLK, Virginia - A 93-year-old man walked into The Virginian-Pilot earlier this month carrying his own obituary - three typed pages outlining the mileposts of his life.
- USS Harry S. Truman leaves shipyard following maintenance Updated: May-22-15 3:20 pm
PORTSMOUTH, Virginia - The Navy says the nuclear-powered USS Harry S. Truman has finished seven months of maintenance at a Virginia shipyard.
- Gunn named editor of The Virginian-Pilot Updated: May-21-15 4:54 pm
NORFOLK, Virginia - Virginia's largest newspaper will soon have a new editor.
- Port of Virginia post April profit; passes 2016 budget Updated: May-21-15 6:55 am
NORFOLK, Virginia - Mounting cargo volume appears to be improving the Port of Virginia's bottom line and has port officials ready to reinvest more money into its facilities.
- Norfolk man found dead near I-64, police investigating Updated: May-21-15 6:41 am
NORFOLK, Virginia - Virginia State Police are investigating the death of a man whose body was found near Interstate 64 in Norfolk.
- Va. business owner collapses after being sentenced for fraud Updated: May-20-15 1:15 pm
NORFOLK, Virginia - A business owner on Virginia's Eastern Shore collapsed in the courtroom after she was sentenced for a fraud scheme.
- USS Washington leaves Japan, heads toward Newport News Updated: May-20-15 4:53 am
NEWPORT NEWS, Virginia - The USS George Washington has left Japan to begin a year-and-a-half long voyage home to Newport News, where the aircraft carrier was built about 25 years ago.
- Norfolk International Airport passenger traffic declines Updated: May-19-15 2:45 am
NORFOLK, Virginia - Norfolk International Airport is reporting a decrease in passenger activity for April.
- Va. Beach woman pleads guilty in investment fraud case Updated: May-16-15 12:29 pm
NORFOLK, Virginia - A Virginia Beach woman has pleaded guilty to running an investment fraud scheme.
- Virginia Zoo needs another elephant to keep 2 it already has Updated: May-14-15 10:02 am
NORFOLK, Virginia - The Virginia Zoo is in need of another elephant by next year. If not, it may lose the two it already has.
- Clarification: Military-Maternity Leave story Updated: May-13-15 11:46 am
NORFOLK, Virginia - In a story May 12, The Associated Press reported that extending paternity leave for Navy sailors would require legislative approval. The story should have specified that the Navy is only proposing extending paid maternity leave, not paternity leave. Both would require legislative approval.
- Marine convicted of 1 count of hazing; rank is reduced Updated: May-11-15 6:23 pm
NORFOLK, Virginia - A decorated Marine accused of humiliating and physically abusing those under his command has been convicted of one count of hazing and was sentenced to a reduction in rank, the military said Monday.
- Tesla to build its first supercharging station in Norfolk Updated: May-11-15 10:26 am
NORFOLK, Virginia - Tesla Motors has plans to build its first supercharging station in southeastern Virginia.
- Ex-Va. school worker gets probation in student sex case Updated: May-10-15 10:19 am
NORFOLK, Virginia - A former school security assistant has been sentenced to probation for charges in Norfolk that she had a sexual relationship with a 15-year-old student.
- Virginia Zoo holding contest to name newly born zebra Updated: May-09-15 4:35 pm
NORFOLK, Virginia - The Virginia Zoo is holding a Mother's Day contest to name the facility's new baby zebra.
- Last Coast Guard inspection team returning from Afghanistan Updated: May-09-15 10:50 am
NORFOLK, Virginia - After more than a decade of war in Afghanistan, the Coast Guard is finally bringing home the last of its inspection teams that help the military send cargo back to the U.S.
- SC woman pleads guilty to child prostitution charge Updated: May-08-15 3:25 am
NORFOLK, Virginia - A 37-year-old South Carolina woman has pleaded guilty to transporting a minor across state lines for prostitution.
- Navy, EPA settle environmental allegations at Norfolk base Updated: May-06-15 10:52 am
NORFOLK, Va, - Federal regulators say the Navy has settled allegations of environmental violations at Naval Station Norfolk.
- Va. leaders honor law enforcement who died in line of duty Updated: May-06-15 2:26 am
RICHMOND, Virginia - Virginia Gov. Terry McAuliffe and law enforcement leaders are paying tribute to a Norfolk police officer and a Spotsylvania County deputy sheriff who both died while on duty.
- Fire marshal says electrical short caused Norfolk explosion Updated: May-05-15 10:01 am
NORFOLK, Virginia - The Norfolk Fire Marshal's Office says a short in a damaged electrical line caused an April explosion that damaged a building.
- NOAA Hurricane Awareness Tour comes to Norfolk Updated: May-05-15 2:28 am
NORFOLK, Virginia - A federal hurricane awareness tour is coming to Norfolk.
- Pentagon accused of withholding information about sex crimes Updated: May-04-15 12:20 pm
WASHINGTON - In a scathing critique of the Defense Department's efforts to curb sexual assaults, a U.S. senator warned Monday that the true scope of sex-related violence in the military communities is "vastly underreported" and that victims continue to struggle for justice.
- Downtown Norfolk undergoing development resurgence Updated: May-02-15 11:04 am
NORFOLK, Virginia - On one of the most valuable pieces of waterfront real estate in downtown Norfolk, a once lively marketplace and marina sits almost entirely empty aside from a Hooters restaurant.