- Planners OK quarry on Mount Rushmore route; opponents appeal Updated: Feb-09-16 3:26 pm
RAPID CITY, South Dakota - A proposed expansion of a limestone quarry that's in a scenic area on the main tourist route to Mount Rushmore National Memorial has won approval from Pennington County planners, but opponents have appealed the decision.
- Man killed by reservation officer was halfway house escapee Updated: Feb-09-16 8:27 am
RAPID CITY, South Dakota - A man who was shot and killed during a struggle with a tribal police officer on the Rosebud Indian Reservation was a federal robbery convict who escaped from a Rapid City halfway house in December.
- Ellsworth Air Force Base No. 2 in sex assault convictions Updated: Feb-08-16 3:57 pm
RAPID CITY, South Dakota - Ellsworth Air Force Base near Rapid City had the second most sexual assault convictions out of 72 military installations that were surveyed in a recent federal report.
- New $18 million hospital planned for Custer, South Dakota Updated: Feb-08-16 10:53 am
CUSTER, South Dakota - Rapid City Regional Health says it expects to open a new $18 million hospital and clinic in Custer in about two years.
- 89-year-old WW II veteran receives medal 70 years later Updated: Feb-06-16 11:42 am
RAPID CITY, South Dakota - An 89-year-old U.S. Navy veteran who served during World War II finally has received his medal 70 years after his service to the country.
- Woman claims discrimination for not being American Indian Updated: Feb-05-16 3:17 pm
RAPID CITY, South Dakota - A woman is suing the parent company of a Rapid City halfway house, alleging she was discriminated and retaliated against while she was employed by the facility because she is not American Indian.
- Ellsworth officials 'committed' to being good neighbors Updated: Feb-04-16 11:53 am
RAPID CITY, South Dakota - Officials at Ellsworth Air Force Base in South Dakota say they're committed to being good neighbors to the pilots and communities in their newly expanded training zone.
- Ranchers ask for more Air Force flight information Updated: Feb-03-16 7:40 pm
A South Dakota livestock organization is petitioning U.S. Air Force officials to provide more information to ranchers who monitor their herds and land by air in a newly expanded training zone.
- Pennington County Commission chairman takes smaller pay hike Updated: Feb-01-16 11:19 am
RAPID CITY, South Dakota - The chairman of the Pennington County Commission says he is accepting only a fraction of the 20 percent pay raise commissioners voted for themselves last month.
- Out-of-court settlement reached in lawsuit over wildfire Updated: Feb-01-16 9:06 am
RAPID CITY, South Dakota - South Dakota-based Black Hills Power has reached an out-of-court settlement with landowners who accused the utility of negligently causing a wildfire.
- 2 indicted in death of woman on Pine Ridge Reservation Updated: Jan-28-16 8:56 am
RAPID CITY, South Dakota - A federal grand jury has indicted a man and a woman from Pine Ridge in the death of a woman on the Pine Ridge Indian Reservation.
- South Dakota base holds service for airman killed overseas Updated: Jan-28-16 8:14 am
RAPID CITY, South Dakota - Soldiers, family and friends gathered at Ellsworth Air Force Base this week to remember an airman killed in the line of duty in Afghanistan.
- Man pleads guilty to manslaughter in Rapid City shooting Updated: Jan-27-16 8:45 am
RAPID CITY, South Dakota - A man accused of fatally shooting his cousin in Rapid City over Memorial Day weekend last year has pleaded guilty to manslaughter in a deal with prosecutors.
- State now helping with prosecution of county commissioner Updated: Jan-26-16 11:23 am
RAPID CITY, South Dakota - The state attorney general's office is now helping with the prosecution of a Pennington County commissioner who's fighting government oversight of septic systems.
- Rapid City students advance to National Science Bowl finals Updated: Jan-25-16 3:27 pm
RAPID CITY, South Dakota - A team of students from Rapid City Stevens High School has advanced to the National Science Bowl finals in Washington, D.C.
- Couple closing bookstore in downtown Rapid City Updated: Jan-24-16 12:10 pm
RAPID CITY, South Dakota - A bookstore in downtown Rapid City is closing after less than two years due to generally slow sales.
- 6 soldiers from the SD Guard return home to Rapid City Updated: Jan-24-16 2:16 am
RAPID CITY, South Dakota - Six soldiers from the South Dakota Army National Guard returned home to Rapid City on Saturday from an eight-month deployment to Afghanistan.
- Woman missing for nearly 3 weeks found dead near Pine Ridge Updated: Jan-23-16 4:23 pm
PINE RIDGE, South Dakota - The FBI says the body of a 24-year-old mother of two missing from the Pine Ridge Indian Reservation for nearly three weeks has been found.
- Police: 3 men rob Sioux Falls convenience store at gunpoint Updated: Jan-23-16 11:31 am
SIOUX FALLS, South Dakota - Authorities in Sioux Falls say that three men robbed a convenience store at gunpoint early Saturday.
- 9 bands to be inducted into SD Rock and Roll Hall Updated: Jan-21-16 6:09 am
SIOUX FALLS, South Dakota - The South Dakota Rock and Roll Music Association will induct nine bands into its Hall of Fame this April.
- Bond reduced for 3 of 4 suspects in alleged trooper assault Updated: Jan-20-16 6:54 am
RAPID CITY, South Dakota - Bond has been reduced for three of the four suspects in the alleged assault of a South Dakota Highway Patrol trooper.
- SD's Black Hills Corp. buying Arkansas-based SourceGas Updated: Jan-19-16 2:16 am
RAPID CITY, South Dakota - Rapid City-based Black Hills Corp. says its utility subsidiary has received approval from the Arkansas Public Service Commission to purchase SourceGas Holdings LLC.
- Police identify man found dead in Rapid City detox facility Updated: Jan-18-16 6:33 pm
RAPID CITY, South Dakota - Police have identified a 46-year-old man who was found dead last week in a detox facility in Rapid City.
- Ellsworth AFB houses new indoor training facility for dogs Updated: Jan-16-16 3:08 pm
RAPID CITY, South Dakota - An obstacle course inside a renovated aircraft hangar at Ellsworth Air Force Base is helping some members of the military get ready for duty.
- Rapid City officials consider ban on animal trapping Updated: Jan-16-16 1:35 pm
RAPID CITY, South Dakota - Officials in Rapid City are considering the possibility of banning animal trapping within city limits.