- Third graders wait as Mississippi to set reading test score Updated: May-05-15 3:49 pm
PASCAGOULA, Mississippi - On a rain-drenched day in April, students at Pascagoula's Cherokee Elementary sweated out a computerized 50-question multiple choice test. Third grader Lacey Peeler admitted she was a little nervous about the high stakes attached to the test.
- USM provost Wiesenburg returns to Marine Science faculty Updated: May-05-15 11:09 am
HATTIESBURG, Mississippi - University of Southern Mississippi Provost Denis Wiesenburg has resigned from his position as Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs.
- Jackson County to vote on tourism tax Updated: May-05-15 10:59 am
PASCAGOULA, Mississippi - Jackson County supervisors have decided to go ahead with a special election June 23 for a 2 percent tourism tax on hotel and motel rooms, rather than wait for the November general election.
- 4 Mississippi escape caught in Louisiana Updated: May-05-15 10:43 am
HOUMA, Louisiana - Terrebonne Parish sheriff's deputies have arrested four of seven men who escaped from a Mississippi jail Sunday night.
- High school student accused of wrestling with officer Updated: May-05-15 6:56 am
RIDGELAND, Mississippi - A Ridgeland high school student has been accused of wrestling with an officer a few days after being accused of streaking.
- Names released in Pontotoc County slayings Updated: May-05-15 6:31 am
ECRU, Mississippi - Authorities have released the names of the two people found dead after an incident that led investigators to a home in the Shady Grove community outside Ecru on Sunday morning.
- Hattiesburg considers sewer rate adjustments Updated: May-05-15 6:11 am
HATTIESBURG, Mississippi - Hattiesburg officials are rewriting its sewer ordinance to clarify rates and tighten collections.
- Jackson County jail should be completed by September Updated: May-05-15 5:40 am
PASCAGOULA, Mississippi - Construction officials say the new $30 million dollar Jackson County jail will be move in ready by Sept. 18.
- Texan arrested in Mississippi admits having cocaine Updated: May-05-15 5:26 am
GULFPORT, Mississippi - A 25-year-old Texas man found in Mississippi with two kilos of cocaine has pleaded guilty to interstate travel in aid of drug racketeering enterprises.
- New Jersey's Gov. Christie heading to Mississippi, Louisiana Updated: May-05-15 1:11 am
TRENTON, New Jersey - New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie is heading south for a handful of events on behalf of his political action committee.
- Superintendent to launch own review of Common Core standards Updated: May-04-15 7:35 pm
JACKSON, Mississippi - Mississippi education officials will conduct their own voluntary review of the Common Core academic standards, even after Gov. Phil Bryant vetoed a bill that would have created an outside panel to examine the standards.
- Wildlife rescue group: Increasing number of animals need aid Updated: May-04-15 2:05 pm
GAUTIER, Mississippi - The Wildlife Care and Rescue Center in Jackson County says a growing number of wildlife is in need of help.
- Trading out old, saving money: Police get 2 new motorcycles Updated: May-04-15 1:38 pm
TUPELO, Mississippi - The Tupelo Police Department got such a great deal, it added two new bikes to its motorcycle unit.
- Tupelo revitalization project waiting for contract approval Updated: May-04-15 12:31 pm
TUPELO, Mississippi - An item on this week's Tupelo City Council agenda could be a major step in revitalizing parts of West Jackson Street.
- New project in US South promotes music "triangle" Updated: May-04-15 10:20 am
CLARKSDALE, Mississippi - Blues. Jazz. Country. Rock n' roll. Gospel. Southern Gospel. Cajun-zydeco. Soul/ R&B. Bluegrass.
- Lowndes Co. voters consider $44M school district bond issue Updated: May-04-15 9:55 am
COLUMBUS, Mississippi - Lowndes County citizens will go to the polls May 12 to vote on a proposed bond issue for the school district worth $44 million.
- Delta-Energy to begin operations in 5 weeks Updated: May-04-15 9:49 am
NATCHEZ, Mississippi - Company officials say Delta-Energy should start operations in Natchez within a month to five weeks.
- 2 Michigan men admit role in Mississippi drug conspiracy Updated: May-04-15 9:43 am
GULFPORT, Mississippi - Two Michigan men have pleaded guilty to their roles in a conspiracy to distribute more than 5 kilos of cocaine and 1 kilo of heroin in South Mississippi.
- New law enforcement complex replaces decades-old jail Updated: May-04-15 6:19 am
COLLINS, Mississippi - Covington County law enforcement officials have opened a new jail facility to help with overcrowding and give officers additional space to work.
- Mississippi man back in Adams County to face trial Updated: May-04-15 6:11 am
NATCHEZ, Mississippi - After a more than two-year delay, a Louisiana man is back in Adams County custody and on track to be tried for a 2012 killing.
- Harrison Co. residents collect 300,000 pounds of waste Updated: May-04-15 5:28 am
GULFPORT, Mississippi - Mississippi Power has hosted its 20th annual Bring It! Hazardous Waste Collection Day for Harrison County residents.
- Southern Pine Electric returning deposits to its members Updated: May-04-15 4:04 am
TAYLORSVILLE, Mississippi - The Southern Pine Electric Power Association says members with good payment histories will be getting their deposits back.
- 3 new miniature golf courses in works for Harrison County Updated: May-03-15 7:47 pm
BILOXI, Mississippi - Three miniature golf courses are in the works in Harrison County. If all three open, they'll bring competition the pastime hasn't seen on the Mississippi Coast since Hurricane Katrina hit in 2005.
- Analysis: Community college fight attracts little attention Updated: May-03-15 6:19 pm
JACKSON, Mississippi - Mississippi's Community College Board should be thankful that the state's College Board got crossways with University of Mississippi Chancellor Dan Jones.
- Caught on camera: 2 men steal trailer from state office Updated: May-03-15 4:52 pm
JACKSON, Mississippi - Authorities say two men have been caught on a surveillance camera stealing a trailer from a Mississippi Housing Authority office.