- Astronaut's visit excites Ketchikan students Updated: May-24-15 4:56 pm
KETCHIKAN, Alaska - It takes approximately eight minutes and 52 seconds for a shuttle carrying astronauts to the International Space Station to get to space, according to astronaut Steve Swanson, who visited Ketchikan earlier this month. A shuttle reaches speeds of 5 miles a second in breaching the earth's atmosphere.
- State calls for appeals against Vallenar Bay timber sale Updated: May-20-15 7:04 am
KETCHIKAN, Alaska - Appeals for Alaska Department of Natural Resources' Division of Forestry decision to sell timber from the Vallenar Bay unit of the Southeast State Forest on Gravina Island are due by May 27.
- Male cat nurtures kittens abandoned in southeast Alaska Updated: May-15-15 8:56 pm
ANCHORAGE, Alaska - Six abandoned kittens named after the kids in "The Brady Bunch" TV series are getting a nurturing boost from an unlikely source - a male cat with a slight neurological disorder.
- Users of nation's largest forest urged to fire wise Updated: May-15-15 2:35 pm
KETCHIKAN, Alaska - Officials with the nation's largest forest are warning people to be cautious with fire for the next few days.
- US Senator wants to change federal 'rural' label process Updated: May-14-15 11:32 am
KETCHIKAN, Alaska - A U.S. senator for Alaska has introduced legislation that would reverse a 2007 federal decision designating Saxman a nonrural community, making residents ineligible for subsistence hunting and fishing on federal land.
- Alaska Editorials Updated: May-11-15 6:27 pm
Here is a sampling of editorial opinions from Alaska newspapers:
- Ketchikan volunteer rescue group gets new dog Updated: May-10-15 3:43 pm
KETCHIKAN, Alaska - The Ketchikan Volunteer Rescue Squad now has another asset to use when called out for search and rescue missions. However, unlike resources such as locator beacons and aerial and water vehicles, the new asset isn't above playing fetch and being pet on the head in her downtime.
- Fight Club seeks end to police requirement at 'Fight Night' Updated: May-08-15 7:05 am
KETCHIKAN, Alaska - A Ketchikan group that stages mixed martial arts, boxing and kickboxing fights is seeking to drop a requirement that paid police officers be on hand.
- Ketchikan family erects 40-foot cross along ocean beach Updated: May-07-15 7:04 am
KETCHIKAN, Alaska - A Ketchikan man says his family erected a giant white cross along a Ward Cove beach as a "thank-you note to God."
- Floatplane capsizes in Ketchikan; all evacuated safely Updated: May-06-15 7:04 am
KETCHIKAN, Alaska - A commercial floatplane with a pilot and four passengers capsized in Ketchikan but all escaped without harm.
- State health officials confirm case of shellfish poisoning Updated: May-04-15 3:29 pm
KETCHIKAN, Alaska - Officials have confirmed a case of paralytic shellfish poisoning from a mixture of clams harvested from a beach north of Ketchikan.
- Ketchikan-area lawmakers push for island-wide tobacco tax Updated: Apr-27-15 12:55 pm
KETCHIKAN, Alaska - Ketchikan local government officials are pushing for an island-wide tobacco tax that would include e-cigarettes.