- Painful options for some Brooklyn subway riders amid repairs Updated: May-05-16 11:06 am
NEW YORK - The lone subway tunnel connecting some of Brooklyn's hippest, youngest neighborhoods to New York City's commercial heart in Manhattan will either be closed entirely for 18 months or see extremely limited service for three years under two possible plans for repairing damage caused by Superstorm Sandy.
- NYPD participates in trending social media dance-off Updated: May-05-16 11:05 am
NEW YORK - Officers from the New York Police Department are shaking their booties in response to a challenge to participate in a trending social media dance-off.
- New York home to idiosyncratic works from actor-playwrights Updated: May-05-16 10:47 am
NEW YORK - It's been an exciting season for theater in New York, with some solid revivals, thoughtful new plays and lively comedies. And then there's the show where a guy's ax gets stuck in an invisible tree.
- 'Space Invaders' among 6 inducted to video game hall of fame Updated: May-05-16 10:43 am
ROCHESTER, New York - A video game that had players zapping space aliens with lasers and another that put them in covered wagons in 1848 have been inducted into the World Video Game Hall of Fame, along with four other games recognized for their influence on gaming and pop culture.
- Man indicted for fatal shooting inside Buffalo barber shop Updated: May-05-16 10:21 am
BUFFALO, New York - A 26-year-old man has been arraigned on second-degree murder charges in the fatal shooting of another man inside a Buffalo barber shop in March.
- Masked armed men tie up residents, ransack NY home Updated: May-05-16 10:06 am
ROOSEVELT, New York - Authorities say six masked armed robbers ransacked a Long Island home after they tied up two residents and shut them in a closet.
- Officer kills larger dog that mauled smaller one Updated: May-05-16 9:41 am
NEW YORK - The NYPD says an officer shot and killed a larger dog that was mauling a smaller one.
- Sexist statue site to be restored as plaza honoring women Updated: May-05-16 9:00 am
NEW YORK - A Queens site where a sculpture once stood that some derided as sexist will be turned into a plaza honoring women.
- For sale: Snack bar near famous NY racetrack. Price: $1.2M Updated: May-05-16 8:54 am
SARATOGA SPRINGS, New York - A snack bar next door to Saratoga Race Course is on the market for more than $1 million.
- Police: New York worker killed in tree grinder accident Updated: May-05-16 8:51 am
GUILDERLAND, New York - Officials say a man on his first day on the job cutting down trees in an Albany suburb has died after he became entangled in a tree grinding machine.
- Fire at Hudson Valley condo complex displaces 40 residents Updated: May-05-16 7:35 am
HYDE PARK, New York - Authorities are investigating the cause of a fire that has left 40 residents of a Hudson Valley condominium complex displaced from their homes.
- Bronx DA: Defendant will get prison, sex offender status Updated: May-05-16 7:34 am
NEW YORK - Authorities say a man who's pleaded guilty in the strangulation of a 15-year-old girl will get 25 years in prison and will be registered as a sex offender.
- Actor Danny Glover to get award at Adirondack historic site Updated: May-05-16 7:11 am
LAKE PLACID, New York - Actor Danny Glover will receive a human rights award at a historic site in the Adirondacks honoring abolitionist John Brown.
- Man gets 25 years to life for killing shoe repair shop owner Updated: May-05-16 6:54 am
GOSHEN, New York - A man has been sentenced to serve 25 years to life in the November 2014 beating death of a 77-year-old shoe repair shop owner inside his upstate New York business.
- 3 teens recovering after being shot on Rochester streeet Updated: May-05-16 6:49 am
ROCHESTER, New York - Police in Rochester say three teenagers are being treated for minor injuries they suffered after being hit by gunfire on a city street.
- Troopers: Teacher drags 2nd-grader, throws boy over counter Updated: May-05-16 6:44 am
MINETTO, New York - A central New York teacher has been accused of dragging a disruptive second-grader to the principal's office and throwing the boy over a counter.
- Rochester man convicted in 2015 beating death of girlfriend Updated: May-05-16 6:36 am
ROCHESTER, New York - A 34-year-old Rochester man charged with fatally beating his girlfriend last year out of jealousy that she may have been seeing someone else has been convicted of manslaughter.
- Philadelphia cop injured in ambush awarded 'Man of the Year' Updated: May-05-16 6:36 am
PHILADELPHIA - A Philadelphia police officer wounded during an ambush while he was sitting in his patrol car in January has received a "Man of the Year" award in New York City.
- NYC moves ahead with affordable housing plans for elderly Updated: May-05-16 6:16 am
NEW YORK - New York City is moving ahead with plans to build nearly 500 apartments for low-income tenants, most of them elderly.
- NY judge gives long-sought Alabama man prison for murder Updated: May-05-16 5:59 am
NEW YORK - A judge in New York has sentenced an Alabama resident to prison for shooting a man in the face outside a New Year's Eve party in 1991.
- NYC workplace protections take effect for family caregivers Updated: May-05-16 5:56 am
NEW YORK - Workplace protections are now in place for New York City residents who also have caregiving responsibilities at home.
- New York spending over $1 million to enhance prison safety Updated: May-05-16 5:54 am
ALBANY, New York - New York state is expanding its use of technology to beef up prison safety.
- Some charges dismissed for driver in fatal Long Island crash Updated: May-05-16 3:47 am
MINEOLA, New York - Some charges against a New York City driver accused in a Long Island crash that killed a cab driver have been dismissed.
- Man to get 25-year sentence in NYC teen's 2012 rape, killing Updated: May-05-16 3:46 am
NEW YORK - Prosecutors say a man has admitted he raped and strangled a 15-year-old Bronx girl and will be sentenced later this month to serve 25 years in prison.
- Ohio high court: Man can seek damages from Cleveland Indians Updated: May-05-16 3:40 am
COLUMBUS, Ohio - Ohio's high court says a New York man who was hit by a foul ball at a baseball game and blinded in one eye can seek damages from the Cleveland Indians.