- New York holds manufacturers liable for fouled water Updated: Feb-11-16 3:06 pm
ALBANY, New York - New York regulators say Saint-Gobain Performance Plastics and Honeywell International are required to pay for the investigation and cleanup of a toxic chemical in an upstate village's drinking water.
- NY Gov: Let teens get HIV treatment without parental OK Updated: Feb-11-16 3:02 pm
ALBANY, New York - Teens in New York don't need their parent's consent before seeking treatment for most sexually transmitted diseases. Gov. Andrew Cuomo says it's time to change the law so that HIV infections are treated the same way.
- Yankees to dedicate plaque to Mariano Rivera on Aug 14 Updated: Feb-11-16 3:01 pm
NEW YORK - The Yankees will dedicate a plaque for retired relief pitcher Mariano Rivera in Monument Park at Yankee Stadium on Aug. 14 before a game against Tampa Bay.
- NYPD has used cell tracking technology 1,000 times since '08 Updated: Feb-11-16 2:53 pm
NEW YORK - The New York Police Department has used secretive cellphone tracking technology more than 1,000 times since 2008, according to data released Thursday by the New York Civil Liberties Union.
- Judge lifts order blocking Chautauqua venue reconstruction Updated: Feb-11-16 2:49 pm
MAYVILLE, New York - A New York judge's ruling will allow the Chautauqua Institution to move ahead with plans to demolish and rebuild its historic open-air theater.
- Review: In 'How to Be Single,' a rom-com quest for me time Updated: Feb-11-16 2:44 pm
Momentarily untied from "50 Shades of Grey" and its planned sequels, Dakota Johnson is again looking for love in "How to Be Single," a mild and fittingly discombobulated ode to singlehood that plays like a "Sex and the City" spinoff.
- In terror case, judge rejects inmate's mistreatment claims Updated: Feb-11-16 2:34 pm
NEW YORK - A judge has rejected the medical malpractice claims of a New York City-born man serving a 15-year prison sentence for supporting al-Qaida.
- Illinois News Digest Updated: Feb-11-16 2:30 pm
Good afternoon. Here's a look at how AP's general news coverage is shaping up in Illinois at 1:30 p.m. Questions about coverage plans are welcome and should be directed to the AP-Chicago bureau at 312-781-0500 or email@example.com. Herbert McCann is staffing the desk. AP-Chicago News Editor Hugh Dellios can be reached at 312-920-3624 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Man convicted in death of officer hit by another driver Updated: Feb-11-16 1:57 pm
MINEOLA, New York - A suburban New York man was convicted Thursday in the death of a police officer responding to a crash on the Long Island Expressway even though the officer was struck and killed by another motorist.
- 5 indicted in 2015 New York City gas explosion that killed 2 Updated: Feb-11-16 1:50 pm
NEW YORK - A building owner and four others were arrested Thursday on manslaughter, negligent homicide and other charges in connection with a gas explosion last year that killed two people and leveled three Manhattan buildings.
- Western NY-based company to expand, add 1,400 jobs upstate Updated: Feb-11-16 1:40 pm
ALBANY, New York - A Buffalo-based pharmaceutical company that makes cancer drugs plans to expand its headquarters and open a new manufacturing facility in western New York, creating an estimated 1,400 jobs over 10 years.
- New York City Council speaker seeks criminal justice reforms Updated: Feb-11-16 1:27 pm
NEW YORK - The speaker of the New York City Council vowed Thursday to push for criminal justice reforms, including the elimination of hundreds of thousands of outstanding warrants, to unclog the court system and shrink the inmate population to the point that officials could consider eventually closing the troubled Rikers Island jail.
- Westbound Thruway lanes reopen after weather-related crashes Updated: Feb-11-16 1:16 pm
BRUTUS, New York - A 30-mile stretch of the Thruway's westbound lanes in central New York has reopened after being closed by several weather-related crashes each involving multiple vehicles.
- Police: Cop killed wife, son, torched home then shot himself Updated: Feb-11-16 1:10 pm
COLONIE, New York - A police officer with no prior history of domestic violence fatally shot his wife and one of their sons, and then set the family's suburban Albany house on fire before killing himself, according to authorities who said Thursday they're baffled by the veteran cop's actions.
- Cuomo welcomes Italian president to NY, plans trade mission Updated: Feb-11-16 12:23 pm
NEW YORK - New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo says he will lead a trade trip to Italy, a country that he says has a special relationship with his state and the nation.
- Morgan Stanley to pay $3.2B over contributors to '08 crisis Updated: Feb-11-16 12:17 pm
ALBANY, New York - Morgan Stanley will pay $3.2 billion in a settlement over bank practices that contributed to the 2008 financial crisis, including misrepresentations about the value of mortgage-backed securities, authorities announced Thursday.
- Discussions underway on Woodstock 50th anniversary concert Updated: Feb-11-16 11:59 am
POUGHKEEPSIE, New York - One of the organizers of the original 1969 Woodstock music festival says talks are underway to stage a 50th anniversary concert.
- NY man, 70, charged with murder in death of wife of 51 years Updated: Feb-11-16 10:24 am
GLOVERSVILLE, New York - A 70-year-old man has been charged with murder in the death of his wife of 51 years inside their upstate New York apartment.
- Tennis legend King praises women's rights icon at NY event Updated: Feb-11-16 8:01 am
ROCHESTER, New York - Tennis legend Billie Jean King has treated the audience at a Rochester speaking event to a few souvenirs.
- NYPD investigating assault on Hasidic man in Brooklyn Updated: Feb-11-16 7:53 am
NEW YORK - New York City police are investigating the assault on a 25-year-old Hasidic man in Brooklyn.
- 2 chimney repair workers accused of breaking into LI homes Updated: Feb-11-16 7:31 am
WANTAGH, New York - Two chimney repair workers have been arrested for allegedly breaking into three Long Island homes and stealing jewelry and cash.
- CityTime computer specialist gets 3 years' probation Updated: Feb-11-16 6:44 am
NEW YORK - A computer specialist who admitted his role in a scheme involving New York City's CityTime computerized payroll system has been sentenced to three years' probation.
- 2 killed in 2-vehicle collision on icy Rochester street Updated: Feb-11-16 6:32 am
ROCHESTER, New York - Police in Rochester say two people have died after their car slid into the path of another vehicle on a street covered in snow and ice.
- Long Island lawyer denies homicide charges in fatal crash Updated: Feb-11-16 4:28 am
MINEOLA, New York - A Long Island lawyer has denied accusations he was driving drunk and on drugs in a fatal September crash that killed a 21-year-old mechanic.
- Bronx man gets 18 years to life in 2014 strangling death Updated: Feb-11-16 4:25 am
NEW YORK - A 35-year-old man is heading to prison for strangling a New York City woman and tossing her mutilated body off a pier.