- Top NY lawmaker's arrest sends session, Senate into disarray Updated: May-05-15 3:22 am
ALBANY, New York - The arrest of a powerful New York lawmaker on federal corruption charges threw one of America's most powerful statehouses into disarray, destabilizing the state's Senate while complicating an already contentious legislative agenda.
- Police officers remember fallen comrades at Albany events Updated: May-05-15 3:04 am
ALBANY, New York - Police officers from around New York state are remembering their fallen comrades.
- Special election in New York City for Grimm, Assembly seats Updated: May-05-15 2:20 am
NEW YORK - A high-profile congressional seat is up for grabs as voters in Staten Island and certain sections of Brooklyn on Tuesday take part in a special election.
- Bullpen struggles as Yankees lose 3-1 to Blue Jays Updated: May-04-15 11:44 pm
- Obama on protests: 'There are consequences to indifference' Updated: May-04-15 11:41 pm
NEW YORK - In a deeply personal response to outbreaks of racially motivated protests, President Barack Obama on Monday blamed a lack of opportunity in minority communities and harsher treatment of black and Hispanic men by police for fueling a sense of "unfairness and powerlessness."
- Holtby's shutout, Beagle's goal lift Caps over Rangers 1-0 Updated: May-04-15 11:35 pm
WASHINGTON - Braden Holtby stood in a corner of the Washington Capitals' locker room, his arms folded across his chest, his voice low and monotone, his demeanor as steady and calm as when he was protecting the net.
- Martin gets tiebreaking hit, Blue Jays beat Yankees 3-1 Updated: May-04-15 11:02 pm
TORONTO - Russell Martin delivered a timely pinch hit - and gave Toronto's R.A. Dickey his first win of the season.
- Retired jail guard cleared in fatal NYC subway shooting Updated: May-04-15 10:19 pm
NEW YORK - The Brooklyn district attorney has decided not to file charges against a retired correction officer who fatally shot a man during a confrontation at a subway station.
- NYC boosts transportation funding, but agency now wants more Updated: May-04-15 9:25 pm
NEW YORK - The city will announce this week it's bolstering its capital contribution to the Metropolitan Transportation Authority - but, mere days before that increase is unveiled, the MTA is asking for more.
- Yankees sleep over in Boston before trip to Toronto Updated: May-04-15 9:14 pm
TORONTO - The New York Yankees decided to sleep over in Boston after sweeping the Red Sox and get some extra rest before crossing into Canada.
- 'Exceptional' NYPD officer dies from gunshot wound to head Updated: May-04-15 8:08 pm
NEW YORK - A 25-year-old police officer shot in the head while attempting to stop a man suspected of carrying a handgun died Monday from his injuries, the third New York City officer slain on duty in five months.
- Museums in NYC, Boston honored for science education Updated: May-04-15 7:25 pm
NEW YORK - The National Science Board is honoring museums in New York and Boston for their work in educating the public about science.
- Mets say they are bringing up catcher Johnny Monell Updated: May-04-15 6:00 pm
NEW YORK - The Mets say they plan to put catcher Johnny Monell on the major league roster before Tuesday night's game against Baltimore.
- Cuban wrestlers to face USA in Times Square Updated: May-04-15 5:41 pm
NEW YORK - The Cuban national wrestling team will face off against the U.S. in an exhibition in New York's Times Square later this month.
- Special election in New York City for Grimm, Assembly seats Updated: May-04-15 4:13 pm
NEW YORK - Voters in Staten Island and certain sections of Brooklyn are getting another chance to make their political preferences known as a special election is held Tuesday to fill a vacancy in the state Assembly and another in Congress after a Republican's tax evasion conviction.
- Macerich will nominate 2 new directors as proxy fight ends Updated: May-04-15 2:43 pm
NEW YORK - Mall operator Macerich said Monday it settled a proxy fight with two investment funds, and will nominate two new directors to its board while dropping a "poison pill" measure that helped it stave off an attempted takeover.
- Jury in Etan Patz '79 missing-boy case gets new aid: printer Updated: May-04-15 11:40 am
NEW YORK - Jurors in the New York murder trial involving the 1979 disappearance of 6-year-old Etan Patz (AY-tahn payts) have asked for dozens of exhibits, hours of read-back testimony and a spreadsheet to organize their thoughts. Now they're getting a new tool - a printer.
- NYC harassment case against marathon bombers' sister dropped Updated: May-04-15 11:20 am
NEW YORK - New York prosecutors have dropped a harassment case against a sister of the Boston Marathon bombers, saying allegations she threatened to "put a bomb" on a perceived romantic rival couldn't be proved.
- New McCullough book celebrates the Wright Brothers Updated: May-04-15 11:13 am
NEW YORK - David McCullough's latest work of history followed a spontaneous path, from a book about many Americans in Paris in the 20th century to the biography of just two.
- SBA says loans available for those affected by NYC blast Updated: May-04-15 11:07 am
NEW YORK - The federal Small Business Administration says New Yorkers affected by the March 26 building explosion can apply for low-interest loans.
- 3 congregants killed in semi, church van crash identified Updated: May-04-15 10:38 am
WAWARSING, New York - State police have identified three congregants of a New York City church who were killed when a tractor-trailer slammed into the van they were riding in after attending a religious retreat.
- Ellis Island expands its story of US immigration history Updated: May-04-15 10:27 am
NEW YORK - Not all of the stories at Ellis Island's immigration museum are about someone's great-grandfather arriving as a boy from Europe at the start of the 20th century.
- Georgia O'Keeffe flower painting going to NYC auction Updated: May-04-15 9:14 am
NEW YORK - A Georgia O'Keeffe flower painting that the artist kept for herself is among the highlights of an upcoming auction of American art.
- NYPD retraining focuses on talking arrestees into handcuffs Updated: May-04-15 9:07 am
NEW YORK - Two New York City cops approach a gray sedan with a suspected drunken driver slumped over the wheel. They ask him to get out, and that's when the trouble begins.
- Uber marks fourth anniversary in NYC, touts expanded service Updated: May-04-15 6:13 am
NEW YORK - The car service company Uber is celebrating its fourth anniversary in New York City.