- Poarch Creeks: Let's talk compact Updated: May-03-15 1:08 pm
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - For 15 years, the Poarch Band of Creek Indians has tried to persuade Alabama politicians to sit down and discuss a compact with the tribe.
- Alabama lawmaker readies proposal to allow lottery, casinos Updated: Apr-30-15 9:52 pm
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - Alabama would get a lottery and four casinos under draft legislation that the Republican leader of the state senate distributed to legislators and reporters on Thursday.
- Montgomery school district to vote on virtual school program Updated: Apr-28-15 5:56 am
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - The Montgomery County Board of Education will vote on whether or not to approve a new virtual school program.
- Supreme Court upholds payday loan database Updated: Apr-27-15 8:05 pm
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - The Alabama Supreme Court on Friday ruled that the state Banking Department can create a payday loan database to enforce an existing $500 limit on how much people can borrow at one time from the short-term lenders.
- Alabama, federal officials to discuss drug abuse concerns Updated: Apr-27-15 7:58 pm
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - Officials from several state agencies are planning to meet this week to discuss concerns over heroin, prescription drug abuse and use of synthetic marijuana.
- Dogfighting a serious business in central Alabama Updated: Apr-27-15 2:49 pm
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - Joe Denham doesn't go to work without a pistol holstered to his hip. Most of the time he works alone, and not on a main highway where someone could see if he were being attacked.
- Bill limiting location could force abortion clinics to close Updated: Apr-23-15 7:58 pm
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - Legislation introduced this week in the state House of Representatives would close at least one of Alabama's four abortion clinics, and possibly others, by prohibiting the clinics from being located near schools.
- Montgomery man held on $1 million bond for Spice trafficking Updated: Apr-23-15 5:59 am
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - A Montgomery man is being held on bond for more than $1 million for charges related to Spice trafficking.
- Connye the baby giraffe makes her debut at Montgomery Zoo Updated: Apr-23-15 5:56 am
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - A baby giraffe has made her debut this week at an Alabama zoo.
- Shelter trying to find new homes for 16 rescued puppies Updated: Apr-23-15 3:58 am
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - A Montgomery animal shelter is trying to adopt out 16 puppies rescued from a puppy mill after a raid.
- Ala. medicinal marijuana bill barely passes Senate committee Updated: Apr-22-15 7:53 pm
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - A Senate committee on Wednesday narrowly approved a bill to allow medicinal marijuana in Alabama- a sweet victory for advocates of pot as medicine but one that could be short-lived.
- House committee blocks bill to reduce driver's license fees Updated: Apr-22-15 7:22 pm
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - A February hike in the price for an Alabama driver's license is likely to stay in place now that a House committee has blocked an effort to reverse it.
- 5 people injured in late-night shooting in Montgomery Updated: Apr-20-15 7:34 am
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - A late-night shooting has left five people injured in Montgomery.
- Fight over legislative districts returns to district court Updated: Apr-18-15 2:43 pm
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - The fight over Alabama's legislative districts is shifting back to Montgomery after a divided U.S. Supreme Court said a lower court must take another look at whether GOP lawmakers relied too heavily on race when they drew new district lines.
- Ala. woman, son sentenced in meth dealing operation Updated: Apr-16-15 4:38 pm
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - Federal prosecutors in Montgomery say a woman and her son have been sentenced to prison for their roles in a meth dealing operation.
- 1 inmate dies, 1 wounded in stabbings at Alabama prisons Updated: Apr-16-15 12:10 pm
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - One inmate was killed and another wounded in two separate stabbings in Alabama prisons on Wednesday, authorities said.
- Martin Luther King Jr. mural sparks Alabama graffiti mystery Updated: Apr-16-15 8:35 am
- Montgomery student fatally struck by tractor trailer Updated: Apr-15-15 6:10 pm
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - Montgomery schools officials say a student has died after being hit by a tractor trailer.
- Alabama Arise calls for new taxes in Alabama Updated: Apr-14-15 9:47 pm
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - One of Alabama's largest advocacy groups for the poor urged lawmakers on Tuesday to approve Gov. Robert Bentley's tax proposal to avoid further weakening the state's already tattered safety net.
- Alabama Senate approves education budget Updated: Apr-14-15 9:43 pm
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - The Alabama Senate on Tuesday approved a nearly $6 billion education budget that steers more money to the state's prekindergarten program.
- Spice linked to numerous hospitalizations in Montgomery area Updated: Apr-14-15 5:00 pm
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - More than three dozen people were recently treated in local hospitals for medical issues linked to the synthetic drug known as spice, authorities in Montgomery county said earlier this week.
- Montgomery officials debate ways to commemorate bus boycott Updated: Apr-14-15 5:04 am
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - Montgomery officials say they have begun planning how to celebrate the 60th anniversary of a bus boycott often cited as the start of the civil rights movement.
- Autaugaville man pleads guilty to 2014 shooting death Updated: Apr-13-15 3:07 pm
PRATTVILLE, Alabama - An Alabama man has pleaded guilty to shooting another man in the back multiple times at a party.
- Montgomery police restructure into sectors Updated: Apr-11-15 11:41 am
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - The Montgomery police department has started a restructuring that will divide policing duties into sectors.
- Senator asks 11th Circuit for update on arrested Ala judge Updated: Apr-11-15 11:37 am
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - The chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee is seeking an update on the personnel action involving an Alabama federal judge arrested on a spousal abuse charge in Atlanta now that an investigation into the case apparently is complete.