- Italy drops illegal-detention hypothesis in deadly shipwreck Updated: May-19-15 9:19 am
CATANIA, Sicily - Authorities won't seek charges of illegal detention against two alleged smugglers in connection with a Mediterranean shipwreck believed to have killed more than 800 migrants, a prosecutor said Tuesday.
- In Italy, seized knock-off shoes go to help new migrants Updated: May-12-15 7:49 am
CATANIA, Sicily - When migrants arrive in Italy, exhausted after days of perilous travel in overcrowded boats, some of the first things they receive are gleaming sneakers that stand out incongruously against their grimy and threadbare clothes.
- Migrants in Italy toil to put food on Europeans' plates Updated: May-10-15 2:16 am
SYRACUSE, Sicily - Colorful plastic boxes lie evenly spaced on a freshly turned field, ready to be filled with potatoes destined for the plates of diners across Europe. The 14 men lining up to pluck them from the rich soil of eastern Sicily are almost all newcomers to a continent where many eye them with a mix of pity and suspicion.
- Police break up US-Italy drug ring run out of NYC pizzeria Updated: May-07-15 1:35 pm
ROME - By night, the Calabrian immigrant family served up piping-hot pizza. After hours, Italian and U.S. authorities say, the restaurant in the New York borough of Queens was busy filling other orders - allegedly running a cocaine trafficking ring that spanned three continents.
- Teen survivor tells of panic during deadly migrant rescue Updated: May-06-15 3:18 pm
NICOLOSI, Sicily - Calloused and stained, Baboucar Lowe's hands tell the story of a difficult life, one that nearly ended at 17 when the rubber dinghy he was on deflated within sight of a rescue ship, drowning dozens of migrants trying to reach Europe.
- Cash handoffs, extortion fuel Mediterranean trafficking Updated: Apr-27-15 1:53 pm
PALERMO, Sicily - Fleeing war, persecution and poverty, migrants desperate to reach Europe are paying thousands of dollars apiece to become pawns in a multimillion-dollar trafficking network that stretches from the Sahara to Sweden.
- Italy court OKs arrest of suspected smuggler captain, crew Updated: Apr-24-15 4:55 pm
CATANIA, Sicily - A judge in Sicily on Friday confirmed the arrest warrants against the suspected captain and crew member of the smuggling boat that capsized in the Mediterranean's worst ever migrant disaster.
- After rescue, a long, agonizing wait for migrants in Italy Updated: Apr-24-15 2:10 am
MINEO, Sicily - Silla Zelia, a 23-year-old from Ivory Coast, is stuck in Italy's largest migrant center with nowhere to go after her asylum application was twice rejected and she lost contact with her family in Abidjan.
- Rubber dinghies, old fishing boats feed Europe migrant rush Updated: Apr-23-15 3:39 pm
MADRID - The hottest commodity in the saga of migrants risking death to reach European shores: decrepit wooden fishing boats. And Italy is asking the United States to supply drones that can identify them before they're packed with refugees and sent across the Mediterranean.
- Volunteers step in to fill void in European migrant crisis Updated: Apr-22-15 3:13 pm
ABOARD THE PHOENIX - From the bridge of their 130-foot refitted yacht, Christopher and Regina Catrambone are stepping in to fill the void they say has been left by an ineffective European response to the Mediterranean migrant crisis.