- At least 14 hurt in deck collapse at North Carolina beach Updated: Jul-05-15 12:01 am
EMERALD ISLE, North Carolina - A deck collapsed at a North Carolina beach house as a family got set to take a group photo Saturday evening, leaving at least 14 people injured with two of those in critical condition, authorities said.
- Man charged in stabbing death of brother in Burlington Updated: Jul-04-15 2:14 pm
BURLINGTON, North Carolina - Authorities say a 38-year-old man stabbed his brother to death and left him in a street in Burlington.
- Police shoot robbery suspect; man found dead inside store Updated: Jul-04-15 1:49 pm
DURHAM, North Carolina - Authorities say a Durham police officer has shot a suspect leaving the scene of an armed robbery after he killed an employee inside the store.
- NC legislators want Medicaid reform before expansion Updated: Jul-04-15 12:04 pm
RALEIGH, North Carolina - Despite a key win in the Supreme Court and pressure from liberal activists, North Carolina's legislative leaders said this past week that they have no plans to expand the state's Medicaid rolls through President Barack Obama's 2010 health care law.
- Shootout leaves 1 dead, 1 charged with murder in Whiteville Updated: Jul-04-15 11:40 am
WHITEVILLE, North Carolina - Authorities say a man shot and killed another man in a shootout in a parking lot after they left a Whiteville nightclub.
- Crime has mayor place small town under state of emergency Updated: Jul-04-15 11:35 am
CONWAY, North Carolina - The mayor of a small Northampton County town has declared a state of emergency because of recent shootings.
- NC Central ready for scrutiny for new student union project Updated: Jul-04-15 11:26 am
DURHAM, North Carolina - North Carolina Central University is getting ready to finish a proposal to build a new student union, mindful that the officials are putting proposals under more scrutiny to make sure student fees aren't unfairly increased.
- Sheriff suspends reserve deputy who fired on chase from home Updated: Jul-04-15 11:17 am
HENDERSONVILLE, North Carolina - The Henderson County sheriff says he has suspended a reserve deputy who fired a shot at a vehicle during a police chase as it passed by his house.
- Current slows for business on James River near Lynchburg Updated: Jul-04-15 10:10 am
LYNCHBURG, Virginia - The City of Lynchburg was birthed by a business on the James River.
- NC starts 2-year observance of Revolutionary War period Updated: Jul-04-15 6:18 am
RALEIGH, North Carolina - North Carolina is starting a two-year observance of the state's Revolutionary and colonial-era historic sites with a program called "It's Revolutionary!"
- Hurricanes hire Mark Morris as minor-league coach Updated: Jul-03-15 3:44 pm
RALEIGH, North Carolina - The Carolina Hurricanes have hired veteran coach Mark Morris to coach their AHL affiliate in Charlotte.
- Change of venue sought for officer charged in shooting death Updated: Jul-03-15 12:54 pm
CHARLOTTE, North Carolina - Lawyers for the Charlotte-Mecklenburg police officer accused in the shooting death of an unarmed black man say their client can't get a fair trial in the county.
- Former Scoutmaster gets 6 months in 1980s molestation case Updated: Jul-03-15 12:44 pm
WINSTON-SALEM, North Carolina - A former Scoutmaster will spend six months in prison and have to register as a sex offender for decades after pleading guilty to molesting two boys in a Winston-Salem Boy Scout troop 30 years ago.
- Turner takes leading role on UNC's veteran offensive line Updated: Jul-03-15 12:36 pm
CHAPEL HILL, North Carolina - The way coach Larry Fedora sees it, Landon Turner is the perfect leader for North Carolina's offensive line.
- Man charged with killing fiancee 7 months after her death Updated: Jul-03-15 12:36 pm
JACKSONVILLE, North Carolina - Onslow County deputies say they have charged a man with murder nearly seven months after his 58-year-old fiancee was found dead in their Jacksonville home.
- Man found shot to death in his Onslow County home Updated: Jul-03-15 12:23 pm
HUBERT, North Carolina - Onslow County deputies say a man shot to death in his home near Hubert appears to have been targeted by his killer.
- Authorities: 3 charged in connection with strangling man Updated: Jul-03-15 12:17 pm
FAYETTEVILLE, North Carolina - Authorities say a 49-year-old Fayetteville man was beaten, tied up, and was left in a closet for as long as two days before he was strangled with a belt.
- Police say armed man at NC mall is soldier Updated: Jul-03-15 9:26 am
FAYETTEVILLE, North Carolina - Authorities say a Fort Bragg soldier has been charged with creating a panic at a North Carolina mall after appearing there with an assault rifle and other military gear.
- African-American man who taught Carter family to be honored Updated: Jul-03-15 4:04 am
BURNSVILLE, North Carolina - The African-American man who is credited with sharing his skills and music with the "First Family of Country Music" is getting an historical marker.
- First-round pick Kaminsky signs contract with Hornets Updated: Jul-02-15 8:50 pm
CHARLOTTE, North Carolina - First-round draft pick Frank Kaminsky has signed a contract with the Charlotte Hornets.
- Kentucky clerk sued for not issuing gay-marriage licenses Updated: Jul-02-15 7:40 pm
LOUISVILLE, Kentucky - Four Kentucky couples are suing a clerk who is refusing to issue gay-marriage licenses - or any marriage licenses at all - following the U.S. Supreme Court decision that same-sex couples have a legal right to marry.
- North Carolina shark attack victim says fortunate to survive Updated: Jul-02-15 6:13 pm
RALEIGH, North Carolina - The latest survivor in a record-breaking string of seven North Carolina shark attacks said Thursday he's very fortunate to be alive and thankful for the emergency help he received after struggling ashore.
- Greensboro council changes approved by NC legislators Updated: Jul-02-15 5:59 pm
RALEIGH, North Carolina - The North Carolina General Assembly approved a reconfigured City Council for Greensboro on Thursday in the latest effort by GOP lawmakers in charge of the legislature to alter or rein in powers of local governments.
- NC DENR backs off 3-year cyanide grace period for Alcoa site Updated: Jul-02-15 4:47 pm
RALEIGH, North Carolina - North Carolina's environment agency is backing away from a proposal to wait three years before requiring new limits on the cyanide pouring off a closed Alcoa Corp. smelter site into waters used for fishing, swimming and drinking.
- Winston-Salem police officer charged in fatal May wreck Updated: Jul-02-15 4:27 pm
WINSTON-SALEM, North Carolina - A Winston-Salem police officer is facing charged after a 68-year-old man died when his pickup truck collided with a police cruiser.