- Study: Lake Erie would offer plenty of food for Asian carp Updated: May-06-15 6:10 pm
TRAVERSE CITY, Michigan - Runaway growth of algae in Lake Erie since the early 2000s has made the shallowest of the Great Lakes even more vulnerable to an invasion by greedy Asian carp, federal scientists said Wednesday.
- Briefing planned on Lake Erie nutrient reduction initiative Updated: May-05-15 1:28 pm
DUNDEE, Michigan - Federal officials are holding a public briefing on a program designed to prevent runoff of nutrients into Lake Erie that scientists blame for outbreaks of toxic bacteria that have fouled drinking water in southeastern Michigan and northwestern Ohio.
- Coast Guard in Buffalo hosting Armed Forces Week festivities Updated: May-02-15 7:34 am
BUFFALO, New York - A U.S. Coast Guard helicopter and ice-breaking cutter that patrol the Great Lakes will be in Buffalo to help kick off the 55th annual Western New York Armed Forces Week.
- Invasive mussels found on boat hauled to Oregon from Ohio Updated: Apr-26-15 11:34 am
ONTARIO, Oregon - Oregon wildlife official say they've found a boat being hauled from Ohio infested with invasive mussels.
- Avalanche to use San Antonio as top minor league team Updated: Apr-17-15 3:00 pm
DENVER - The Colorado Avalanche will use San Antonio as their top minor league team beginning next season.
- Lake Erie Monsters new AHL partner of Columbus Blue Jackets Updated: Apr-17-15 1:23 pm
COLUMBUS, Ohio - The Columbus Blue Jackets have reached an agreement with the Lake Erie Monsters to have the Cleveland-based team serve as the NHL club's American Hockey League affiliate.
- State forecasts good year for fishing on Lake Erie Updated: Apr-11-15 11:02 am
COLUMBUS, Ohio - Ohio's Department of Natural Resources is forecasting a good fishing season for Lake Erie.
- Scientists study mystery of Lake Erie toxic bacteria Updated: Apr-10-15 4:05 am
ANN ARBOR, Michigan - Scientists are trying to figure out why some algae-like bacteria in Lake Erie become toxic while others don't.
- Crews still cleaning Lake Erie oil spill off Cleveland Updated: Apr-09-15 3:10 am
CLEVELAND - Crews are still working around the clock to clean up an oil spill in Lake Erie off Cleveland.
- Ohio sues over US plans to dump toxic sediment in Lake Erie Updated: Apr-07-15 8:56 pm
CLEVELAND - Ohio sued the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers on Tuesday over the federal agency's plan to charge the state $1.4 million to dispose toxic sediment dredged from Cleveland Harbor and the Cuyahoga River into containment facilities rather than Lake Erie.
- Summit aims to boost understanding of Fort Wayne rivers Updated: Apr-07-15 9:11 am
FORT WAYNE, Indiana - Dan Wire is more than aware of the public perception of the rivers that flow through Fort Wayne.