- Ohio EPA appoints official to manage Lake Erie water quality Updated: Aug-25-15 6:46 am
TOLEDO, Ohio - Ohio's environmental chief is creating a new team to oversee water quality issues in Lake Erie.
- Farmers can seek funds to prevent runoff that causes algae Updated: Aug-20-15 4:05 am
EAST LANSING, Michigan - Farmers in southeastern Michigan still have time to apply for federal assistance with measures to reduce nutrient runoff from their land that winds up in Lake Erie and promotes algae growth.
- Ohio deputies suspended over Lake Erie boat ride to Canada Updated: Aug-19-15 8:02 am
PORT CLINTON, Ohio - A sheriff in northern Ohio has suspended three deputies who he says took the department's boats across Lake Erie to marinas in Canada.
- Project documents Lake Erie shipwrecks, special habitats Updated: Aug-18-15 11:50 am
ERIE, Pennsylvania - With a small splash, the foot-long remotely operated vehicle dove below the surface of Lake Erie to the wreck of the S.K. Martin.
- Editorials from around Ohio Updated: Aug-10-15 5:20 pm
Excerpts of recent editorials of statewide and national interest from Ohio newspapers:
- Public health advisory issued for northwest Ohio park beach Updated: Aug-09-15 3:52 am
TOLEDO, Ohio - A high level of algal toxin has triggered a public health advisory for a Lake Erie state park beach in northwest Ohio.
- Survey of western Lake Erie planned to assess fish status Updated: Aug-08-15 9:23 am
MONROE, Michigan - Michigan scientists will conduct a trawl survey to assess fish populations of western Lake Erie.
- Feds support anti-algae program in southern Michigan Updated: Aug-07-15 4:02 am
TRAVERSE CITY, Michigan - A program designed to reduce nutrient runoff into a Lake Erie tributary stream in southern Michigan is picking up federal support.
- Vermont systems monitor Lake Champlain water for algae Updated: Aug-01-15 11:23 am
MONTPELIER, Vermont - The 22 water systems in Vermont that draw from Lake Champlain are participating in a program to regularly monitor for a potentially toxic blue-green algae that shut down service to 400,000 customers in Ohio last summer.
- Cops: Woman drowns while trying to rescue daughter, 2nd girl Updated: Jul-31-15 10:49 am
EVANS, New York - Authorities in western New York say a 51-year-old woman drowned while trying to rescue her 11-year-old daughter and another girl from the rough waters of Lake Erie.
- Toledo will test water daily for possibly harmful toxin Updated: Jul-31-15 4:05 am
TOLEDO, Ohio - Officials in Toledo say they'll do daily water testing for the dangerous toxin that led to a water crisis in the region a year ago.