- Vermont systems monitor Lake Champlain water for algae Updated: Aug-01-15 11:23 am
MONTPELIER, Vermont - The 22 water systems in Vermont that draw from Lake Champlain are participating in a program to regularly monitor for a potentially toxic blue-green algae that shut down service to 400,000 customers in Ohio last summer.
- Cops: Woman drowns while trying to rescue daughter, 2nd girl Updated: Jul-31-15 10:49 am
EVANS, New York - Authorities in western New York say a 51-year-old woman drowned while trying to rescue her 11-year-old daughter and another girl from the rough waters of Lake Erie.
- Toledo will test water daily for possibly harmful toxin Updated: Jul-31-15 4:05 am
TOLEDO, Ohio - Officials in Toledo say they'll do daily water testing for the dangerous toxin that led to a water crisis in the region a year ago.
- Correction: Lake Erie Algae story Updated: Jul-29-15 9:38 am
TOLEDO, Ohio - In a story July 28 about toxins in lakes, The Associated Press reported erroneously on the affiliation of Milt Miller. He is restoration manager for Grand Lake St. Marys, not Lake Erie.
- Authorities: Man drowns in Lake Erie in northeast Ohio Updated: Jul-29-15 4:58 am
EUCLID, Ohio - Authorities say a struggling swimmer drowned after he went underwater and didn't resurface in Lake Erie in northeast Ohio.
- Michigan farm, environmental leaders call for algae action Updated: Jul-28-15 6:06 pm
LANSING, Michigan - Agricultural and environmental leaders in Michigan have issued a joint appeal for concerted action to block the toxic algae blooms that shut down drinking water systems in western Lake Erie last summer and that are threatening to return this year.
- Authorities: Missing 4-year-old boy's body found in lake Updated: Jul-25-15 6:08 pm
SHEFFIELD LAKE, Ohio - Authorities say the body of a 4-year-old boy has been recovered from Lake Erie after a massive search in northern Ohio.
- Lawsuits filed against Lake Erie island town, police chief Updated: Jul-22-15 2:26 pm
PUT-IN-BAY, Ohio - Two police officers have filed lawsuits against the Lake Erie island resort town of Put-in-Bay and its police chief accused of blocking an investigation into the officers' sexual assault claims.
- Lawmakers want programs to curb Great Lakes farm pollution Updated: Jul-21-15 5:51 pm
WILLIS, Michigan - Two members of Congress introduced legislation Tuesday that encourages states in the Great Lakes region to develop voluntary programs aimed at reducing farm pollution that causes harmful algae blooms.
- State issues toxic algae warning for western Ohio lake Updated: Jul-15-15 12:18 pm
CONOVER, Ohio - Officials have issued a toxic algae bloom warning for Kiser Lake in western Ohio.
- Study: Warming water may pose danger to Lake Erie perch Updated: Jul-15-15 11:11 am
COLUMBUS, Ohio - Climate change may be harming yellow perch, the most popular sport fish in Lake Erie.