- Al-Qaida-linked tribesmen ban popular drug in southern Yemen Updated: May-15-15 8:46 am
SANAA, Yemen - Tribesmen allied with al-Qaida's branch in Yemen have imposed a ban on the nation's widely popular plant called qat, which is a mild narcotic, in a southern city overrun by the militants last month.
- US, Saudi Arabia announce 5-day ceasefire in Yemen 'soon' Updated: May-07-15 9:13 am
RIYADH, Saudi Arabia - Saudi Arabia and the United States said Thursday a renewable, five-day cease-fire in Yemen's war would start soon to facilitate aid to millions of civilians in need, if Iran-backed rebels and their allies also agree to stop fighting.
- Analysis: Despite Saudi strikes, Yemen rebels remain dug in Updated: May-06-15 3:40 am
SANAA, Yemen - More than a month of relentless airstrikes by a coalition led by Saudi Arabia has inflicted painful damage on Shiite rebels in Yemen, but they show little sign of collapse.
- In the face of IS successes, al-Qaida adapts, grows stronger Updated: May-04-15 9:13 am
CAIRO - When al-Qaida overran the Yemeni port city of Mukalla last month, the group's commanders immediately struck a deal to share power with the area's tribesmen. No jihadi banners were raised. Al-Qaida even issued a statement denying rumors that it had banned music at parties or men wearing shorts.
- Hundreds of families trapped by fighting in Yemen's Aden Updated: May-02-15 6:41 am
SANAA, Yemen - Hundreds of families are trapped in their homes by weeks of fierce fighting in the center of the southern city of Aden, running short of supplies - their only lifeline coming from volunteers making dangerous runs across the city's harbor in rickety boats bearing food and medicine.
- Administration worries grow over Saudi campaign in Yemen Updated: May-01-15 3:53 pm
WASHINGTON - The Obama administration is growing increasingly wary about the Saudi-led military intervention in Yemen and how to restore peace to a country wracked by sectarian divisions, endemic poverty and the al-Qaida offshoot posing the greatest threat to the American homeland.