- Friction over Sri Lanka shows at Commonwealth meet Updated: Nov-14-13 10:24 am
- Australian senator denounces Sri Lanka Updated: Nov-11-13 3:38 am
- Aussie PM asked to join Colombo summit boycott Updated: Nov-10-13 9:01 pm
- Call for Australian boycott of Sri Lanka summit Updated: Nov-10-13 7:22 pm
- Sri Lankan students protest closing universities Updated: Nov-08-13 7:13 am
COLOMBO, Sri Lanka - Sri Lanka's president lashed out at criticisms of his nation's human rights record, saying Thursday that the government deals with any complaints of abuses committed during or after its bloody 27-year civil war. Pro-government protesters, meanwhile, attacked the headquarters of the main opposition party.
CANBERRA, Australia - An Australian senator accused the Sri Lankan government of trying to hide crimes against humanity and called on her government to boycott an international summit in Colombo after she was detained by authorities there.
CANBERRA, Australia - Australia's prime minister was under mounting pressure Monday to join his Indian and Canadian counterparts in boycotting a British Commonwealth summit in Sri Lanka this week over concerns about the island nation's human rights record.
CANBERRA, Australia - An Australian senator has called on her government to boycott a summit of British Commonwealth leaders in Sri Lanka this week after she and a New Zealand lawmaker were detained by authorities there.
COLOMBO, Sri Lanka - About 2,000 Sri Lankan university students blocked traffic as they shouted slogans outside the capital's main railroad station Friday to protest a government decision to close state universities during a summit of leaders from Commonwealth countries next week.