- Police: Birmingham woman fatally shot in domestic dispute Updated: May-30-15 12:33 pm
BIRMINGHAM, Alabama - Birmingham police say an Ensley woman has died in a domestic dispute.
- Ala judge: Death row inmate got 'raw deal' in murder trial Updated: May-30-15 10:28 am
BIRMINGHAM, Alabama - An Alabama inmate who has spent almost 30 years on death row for a murder he denies committing has an unusual supporter in his bid for freedom: A state judge who once represented the man's co-defendant while working as a defense lawyer.
- Ex-Birmingham Southern recruit files fraternity hazing suit Updated: May-29-15 6:14 pm
BIRMINGHAM, Alabama - A former Birmingham-Southern College football recruit who said he was hazed and injured while he was trying to join a fraternity has filed a lawsuit against the college and the organization.
- Former Serra Nissan sales manager sentenced for fraud Updated: May-29-15 5:23 am
BIRMINGHAM, Alabama - A federal judge has sentenced a former sales manager at Serra Nissan in Birmingham to two-and-a-half years in prison for his role in a scheme at the car dealership to falsify auto loan documents.
- Phillip Lucas appointed AP reporter in Birmingham, Alabama Updated: May-28-15 11:37 am
ATLANTA - Phillip Lucas, a journalist who has helped The Associated Press coordinate and cover significant stories across the South and beyond, has been hired to work as a reporter for the news cooperative in Birmingham, Alabama.
- Summit seeks solution to veteran homelessness in Ala Updated: May-28-15 9:22 am
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - A summit at Alabama State University was designed for federal, state and local agencies, so they could discuss working to end veteran homelessness. But that didn't stop Delano Caldwell from showing up for answers.
- Man arrested after wreck that killed detective's mother Updated: May-27-15 7:25 am
BIRMINGHAM, Alabama - Police say a 26-year-old man has been charged after leaving the scene of a hit-and-run that killed the mother of a Birmingham police detective.
- 2-alarm fire destroys apartment building in Birmingham Updated: May-26-15 6:17 am
BIRMINGHAM, Alabama - A 2-alarm fire has destroyed an apartment building in Birmingham and left several people displaced.
- Birmingham police: Naked man broke windows at homes, church Updated: May-25-15 3:31 pm
BIRMINGHAM, Alabama - Police say a naked man with apparent mental health issues set his mattress on fire and then broke windows at nearby homes and a church in Birmingham.
- Freed from death row: 'I refuse to give them my joy' Updated: May-23-15 11:14 am
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - In his first day free, after nearly 30 years on Alabama's death row, Ray Hinton said he kept asking a question to his childhood friend.
- Jury deadlocks in trial of man charged in officer's death Updated: May-22-15 1:55 pm
BIRMINGHAM, Alabama - A judge declared a mistrial Friday in the case of a man charged with capital murder in the death of an off-duty Birmingham police officer.
- UAB president says no decision made on football program Updated: May-21-15 3:11 pm
BIRMINGHAM, Alabama - UAB President Ray Watts said he hasn't made a decision on whether to reinstate football, bowling and rifle.
- Inmate convicted of robbery leaves job site in Hoover Updated: May-18-15 6:37 pm
HOOVER, Alabama - State prison officials say an inmate convicted of robbery is considered an escapee after leaving a job site near Birmingham.
- Trial begins for man accused of killing Birmingham officer Updated: May-17-15 6:29 am
BIRMINGHAM, Alabama - The murder trial of a man accused of killing an off-duty Birmingham police officer starts Monday.
- Ala. delivery van driver carjacked, police search for 3 men Updated: May-15-15 11:07 am
BIRMINGHAM, Alabama - Police say the driver of a pharmaceutical delivery van was carjacked by three men in Alabama, including one posing as a police officer.
- Man dies following shooting in Birmingham Updated: May-15-15 8:07 am
BIRMINGHAM, Alabama - A man has died after a shooting in Birmingham.
- Bethany College president takes job in Alabama Updated: May-14-15 2:01 pm
LINDSBORG, Kansas - Bethany College President Edward F. Leonard III is resigning to become president of an Alabama college.
- Birmingham-Southern College appoints new president Updated: May-14-15 6:58 am
BIRMINGHAM, Alabama - Birmingham-Southern College has announced a new president.
- Gun fight breaks out outside funeral for homicide victim Updated: May-14-15 4:56 am
BIRMINGHAM, Alabama - Birmingham police say a man was shot in a fight outside the funeral of recent triple homicide victim.
- Birmingham police investigating attack on 86-year-old man Updated: May-14-15 1:46 am
BIRMINGHAM, Alabama - Birmingham police are investigating after an elderly man was injured during an apparent robbery.
- Ala. police probe shooting near funeral for shooting victim Updated: May-13-15 4:53 pm
BIRMINGHAM, Alabama - Birmingham police say they're investigating a shooting that happened across the street from the funeral for a shooting victim in the city's Smithfield neighborhood.
- New superintendent for Birmingham City Schools selected Updated: May-13-15 5:49 am
BIRMINGHAM, Alabama - The Birmingham City school system has hired a new superintendent.
- UAB Hospital honored for stroke treatment Updated: May-12-15 5:06 am
BIRMINGHAM, Alabama - The University of Alabama at Birmingham hospital has been recognized as a leader in stroke treatment.
- Ala. mental health organizations rally to fight agency cuts Updated: May-11-15 8:58 pm
BIRMINGHAM, Alabama - Mental-health service workers and recipients rallied across Alabama on Monday, asking lawmakers not to cut millions in funding for the Alabama Department of Mental Health.
- Birmingham police investigating shooting death of man Updated: May-10-15 4:34 pm
BIRMINGHAM, Alabama - Birmingham police are investigating the killing of man who was found with gunshot wounds on the front porch of a home.