- UAB coasts to 104-67 win over Florida Atlantic Updated: Feb-06-16 10:27 pm
BIRMINGHAM, Alabama - Chris Cokley scored 14 points to lead seven Alabama-Birmingham players in double figures for a 104-67 win over Florida Atlantic on Saturday night.
- Norton scores 15 points, UAB holds off FIU 74-69 Updated: Feb-04-16 11:07 pm
BIRMINGHAM, Alabama - Nick Norton scored 15 points and Alabama-Birmingham held off Florida International 74-69 on Thursday night.
- Birmingham mayor issues 'ban the box' order for city jobs Updated: Feb-04-16 7:25 pm
BIRMINGHAM, Alabama - Birmingham Mayor William Bell has issued an executive order to protect applicants for city jobs from automatic disqualification over their criminal records.
- The Latest: Suspected tornado damages Army post in Georgia Updated: Feb-03-16 7:20 pm
The Latest on the winter storm system affecting a broad swath of the Midwest and Southern U.S. (all times local):
- Tornado damage to homes, trees reported in western Alabama Updated: Feb-02-16 7:42 pm
ALICEVILLE, Alabama - A large tornado reported in rural western Alabama left a trail of damage Tuesday evening as powerful storms moved into the state.
- The Latest: Damage reported in Aliceville, storm moving east Updated: Feb-02-16 7:03 pm
BIRMINGHAM, Alabama - The Latest on severe weather in Alabama (all times local):
- 2 charged with capital murder in Alabama robbery, slaying Updated: Feb-02-16 5:30 pm
LIPSCOMB, Alabama - Authorities have arrested two men on capital murder charges in a robbery and slaying last summer in Lipscomb.
- UAB, medical center to raise hourly minimum wage to $11 Updated: Feb-01-16 5:24 pm
BIRMINGHAM, Alabama - The University of Alabama at Birmingham and its affiliated hospital system are planning to raise the hourly minimum wage for employees next month.
- Northwest Alabama at risk for severe weather Tuesday Updated: Feb-01-16 8:51 am
BIRMINGHAM, Alabama - The National Weather Service says residents of northwest Alabama are at risk for severe weather on Tuesday.
- Wal-Mart's shutdown creates new food deserts Updated: Jan-27-16 2:43 pm
FAIRFIELD, Alabama - Wal-Mart's decision to shutter 154 stores across the country means that, starting Thursday, residents without cars in a neighborhood near a historically black college outside Birmingham, Alabama, will have to cross dangerous roadways on foot to get fresh produce and meat. Come Friday, folks in Coal Hill, Arkansas, will need to drive 15 miles to get to the nearest supermarket and pharmacy. Low-income neighbors of Wichita State University in Kansas, too, will be losing quick access to fresh groceries.
- Self-taught painter, sculptor Thornton Dial dies Updated: Jan-26-16 4:25 pm
McCALLA, Alabama - Self-taught artist Thornton Dial, who transformed discarded junk into sculpture and painted in bright colors and bold lines, has died at his home in Alabama. He was 87.
- Woman pleads guilty to killing Birmingham beauty shop owner Updated: Jan-25-16 4:31 am
BIRMINGHAM, Alabama - A 27-year-old woman has avoided a trial, and potential death sentence, by pleading guilty to a lesser charge in the 2014 slaying of a Birmingham beauty shop owner.
- Food truck gives the needy free lunch and a social circle Updated: Jan-23-16 2:44 pm
CHATTANOOGA, Tennessee - Mary Blackmon strolls up to the crowd around the food truck with the bearing of a queen. Even bundled up for a bitterly cold morning, she is clearly a beauty and is greeted like one with hugs and kisses and loads of "lookin' good!"
- Alabama carries out 1st execution in more than 2 years Updated: Jan-21-16 8:38 pm
ATMORE, Alabama - A man convicted of the 1992 rape and beating death of a woman received a lethal injection Thursday evening in Alabama's first execution in more than two years.
- Office manager admits stealing more than $500,000 from job Updated: Jan-20-16 5:33 pm
BIRMINGHAM, Alabama - Federal authorities say the office manager of a Birmingham surgical practice admitted stealing more than half a million dollars from her employer.
- Man stabbed with kitchen knife during apartment fight Updated: Jan-19-16 8:03 am
BIRMINGHAM, Alabama - Birmingham police are investigating a gun and knife fight between two men that left one of them dead.
- Man fatally shot during domestic argument with girlfriend Updated: Jan-17-16 12:01 pm
BIRMINGHAM, Alabama - Police say a woman accused in the shooting death of her boyfriend during a domestic argument at a home in Birmingham was taken into custody.
- South African artist Jonathan Butler headlines concert at UA Updated: Jan-16-16 11:08 am
TUSCALOOSA, Alabama - A South African musician will headline a concert held at the University of Alabama as one of the many events to celebrate the life and work of Rev. Martin Luther King Jr.
- Teen accused in man's shooting death charged with murder Updated: Jan-15-16 7:08 pm
HOOVER, Alabama - A teen has been charged with murder in the shooting death of a military veteran outside his suburban Birmingham home, police said Friday.
- Regions Bank announces 260 layoffs in first quarter Updated: Jan-15-16 6:10 pm
BIRMINGHAM, Alabama - Regions Bank officials say the company is planning to eliminate 260 positions in the first quarter of 2016.
- Wal-Mart to close 8 express stores, 1 supercenter in Alabama Updated: Jan-15-16 1:10 pm
BIRMINGHAM, Alabama - Eight Wal-Mart Express stores and a Wal-Mart supercenter in suburban Birmingham are slated to close by the end of the month as part of the retailer's plan to close 269 locations companywide.
- Historic Birmingham theater shines after restoration Updated: Jan-15-16 1:05 pm
BIRMINGHAM, Alabama - The curtains were hung, the stage was set and the performers were ready. Birmingham's newly restored Lyric Theatre was ready for her long-awaited close-up.
- Police: Teen faces charges in restaurant killing, robbery Updated: Jan-15-16 6:12 am
PLEASANT GROVE, Alabama - A Birmingham teenager is accused of gunning down a customer at a Pleasant Grove restaurant and robbing at least one other restaurant that same evening.
- Presidential candidate Bernie Sanders to visit Birmingham Updated: Jan-14-16 3:47 pm
BIRMINGHAM, Alabama - The Alabama Secretary of State's office says presidential candidate Bernie Sanders is scheduled to make a campaign stop in Birmingham.
- Ryan Phillips named AP legislative relief staffer in Georgia Updated: Jan-14-16 2:52 pm
ATLANTA - Ryan Phillips, a journalist with experience covering business and politics, has been hired by The Associated Press to help cover the 2016 legislative session in Georgia.