- 'All Lives Matter' march draws more than 20,000 in Alabama Updated: Aug-29-15 2:40 pm
BIRMINGHAM, Alabama - More than 20,000 people including actor Chuck Norris marched the streets of Alabama to bring awareness and raise funds for persecuted Christians in the Middle East.
- Birmingham couple opens their home to share love of music Updated: Aug-29-15 1:58 pm
BIRMINGHAM, Alabama - For Birmingham native Matt Waldrep, there are only two things to know about Birmingham's music scene: The first is that Birmingham has good art, and the second is that Birmingham deserves good art. Everything else, he says, revolves around making sure neither is lost.
- Movie debuting about abused dog named 'Gucci' Updated: Aug-28-15 9:11 am
FLORENCE, Alabama - Doug James smiles when reminiscing about his "rock star" best friend.
- Museum honoring black baseball players to open in Birmingham Updated: Aug-28-15 5:09 am
BIRMINGHAM, Alabama - A museum honoring black baseball players who formed their own league during segregation is set to open in Birmingham.
- Birmingham Zoo closes aviary after bacteria found in bird Updated: Aug-27-15 11:14 am
BIRMINGHAM, Alabama - The Birmingham Zoo has temporarily closed a bird aviary after tests found a bacterial infection that can cause respiratory problems in birds and humans, zoo officials said.
- Police say man charged in connection with slaying of woman Updated: Aug-26-15 8:05 am
BIRMINGHAM, Alabama - Authorities say a man has been charged in connection with the slaying of a 20-year-old Birmingham woman found shot to death on a bridge.
- Reward being offered for tips in Birmingham gun store theft Updated: Aug-26-15 7:22 am
BIRMINGHAM, Alabama - Authorities say they're offering up to $5,000 in reward money for tips to that lead to the arrest and conviction of suspects in the recent burglary of a Birmingham gun store.
- Birmingham approves $1.9M to add 45 new police vehicles Updated: Aug-26-15 4:32 am
BIRMINGHAM, Alabama - Birmingham police are planning to add more than 45 new vehicles to the department's fleet.
- Birmingham, Microsoft launch partnership in tech education Updated: Aug-25-15 12:28 pm
BIRMINGHAM, Alabama - The City of Birmingham is partnering with Microsoft Corp. to support education and entrepreneurship in the technology industry.
- House fire claims life of woman, 57, near Birmingham Updated: Aug-25-15 8:47 am
FORESTDALE, Alabama - Authorities say a house fire near Birmingham has claimed the life of a 57-year-old woman.
- Councilman wants Birmingham suburb to employ its own police Updated: Aug-25-15 4:09 am
PINSON, Alabama - A Birmingham suburb of about 7,100 residents is considering a proposal to start its own police department.
- Alabama death row inmate: State ignoring claims of innocence Updated: Aug-24-15 3:04 pm
BIRMINGHAM, Alabama - The latest Alabama inmate seeking freedom from death row maintains the state is wrongly ignoring his claims of innocence while his health fails behind bars, one of his attorneys said Monday.
- Police probing sex assault reported at Birmingham church Updated: Aug-24-15 11:26 am
BIRMINGHAM, Alabama - Birmingham police say a man is accused of walking into the women's room at a local church and sexually abusing a teenage girl.
- US Marshals arrest man in June murder of woman Updated: Aug-22-15 4:43 pm
BIRMINGHAM, Alabama - Federal authorities say they have arrested a man accused in the June murder of an Alabama woman.
- Ex-mayoral aide sentenced in money laundering scheme Updated: Aug-20-15 6:07 pm
BIRMINGHAM, Alabama - A former Birmingham mayoral aide has been sentenced to prison in a money laundering scheme.
- BP settlement money flows to governments in far-flung places Updated: Aug-20-15 3:34 pm
BATON ROUGE, Louisiana - Clusters of landlocked municipalities more than 100 miles from the Gulf Coast have secured millions of dollars in BP money through settlements designed to compensate local governments for lost tourism dollars and other economic damage from the company's 2010 oil spill, according to records obtained by The Associated Press.
- WBC champion Deontay Wilder set to face Johann Duhaupas Updated: Aug-20-15 3:18 pm
BIRMINGHAM, Alabama - WBC heavyweight champion Deontay Wilder will fight Frenchman Johann Duhaupas in the first prime-time heavyweight title bout televised by NBC in 20 years.
- Police: Man apparently shot, killed by young son in accident Updated: Aug-19-15 7:29 pm
HOOVER, Alabama - A 2-year-old boy apparently shot and killed his father in what police in Alabama on Wednesday called a horrible accident.
- Birmingham approves minimum wage increase to $10.10 Updated: Aug-18-15 7:16 pm
BIRMINGHAM, Alabama - The Birmingham City Council passed an ordinance Tuesday to set a minimum hourly wage in the city and increase it to $10.10-an-hour by July 2017.
- Birmingham City Council giving $500,000 to UAB Updated: Aug-18-15 6:55 pm
BIRMINGHAM, Alabama - Birmingham city leaders have approved of allocating $500,000 to the University of Alabama-Birmingham to fulfill a pledge it made when the school's football program was reinstated.
- Ala Media Group cuts jobs in 3 cities Updated: Aug-18-15 6:53 pm
BIRMINGHAM, Alabama - Alabama Media Group is laying off at least 15 people all together at its three main hubs in Birmingham, Huntsville and Mobile in a move announced Tuesday.
- Birmingham City Council to vote on $10.10 minimum wage Updated: Aug-18-15 4:34 am
BIRMINGHAM, Alabama - The Birmingham City Council is set to consider the establishment of a $10.10 minimum wage in the city.
- Alabama Gov. Bentley endorses Kasich of Ohio for president Updated: Aug-17-15 5:49 pm
BIRMINGHAM, Alabama - Alabama Gov. Robert Bentley on Monday endorsed Ohio Gov. John Kasich for the Republican presidential nomination, saying he has the executive-level experience and compassion necessary to lead.
- Loaded gun found in carry-on at Birmingham airport Updated: Aug-17-15 5:42 pm
BIRMINGHAM, Alabama - Federal transportation officials say authorities found a loaded gun in a passenger's carry-on bag at the Birmingham-Shuttlesworth International Airport.
- US Steel idling Alabama mill; about 1,100 jobs affected Updated: Aug-17-15 3:56 pm
FAIRFIELD, Alabama - U.S. Steel Corp. said Monday that it will close its Fairfield Works mill, one of the largest remaining pieces from Birmingham's years as a Southern steel-making giant.