- Sticking to its plan, Atletico Madrid keeps surprising Updated: Apr-28-16 7:14 am
MADRID - It's getting harder and harder to bet against Atletico Madrid.
- Bayern loses 1-0 to Atletico in Champions League semifinal Updated: Apr-27-16 6:19 pm
MADRID - An early goal by youngster Saul Niguez gave Atletico Madrid a gritty 1-0 victory over Bayern Munich in the first leg of their Champions League semifinal on Wednesday.
- Atletico Madrid coach Simeone banned for 3 matches Updated: Apr-27-16 10:49 am
MADRID - Diego Simeone will not be able to coach Atletico Madrid for the remaining three matches of the Spanish league season as his team fights with Barcelona for the title.
- Suarez and Barcelona lead AP Global Football 10 Updated: Apr-26-16 2:52 pm
LONDON - Eight goals in two games for Barcelona sent Luis Suarez straight to the top of the Associated Press Global Football 10 on Tuesday.
- Nadal wins Barcelona Open, equals clay-court record Updated: Apr-24-16 4:37 pm
BARCELONA, Spain - Rafael Nadal beat defending champion Kei Nishikori 6-4, 7-5 to win the Barcelona Open for the ninth time on Sunday, equaling Guillermo Vilas' record of 49 career clay-court titles.
- Barcelona shows it's still very much alive in Spanish league Updated: Apr-21-16 3:51 pm
MADRID - That's more like it.
- Neymar to play for Brazil at Rio Olympics, not Copa America Updated: Apr-20-16 7:01 pm
MADRID - Neymar will play for Brazil at the Rio de Janeiro Olympics but will skip the Copa America, Barcelona said Wednesday.
- Emirati officer wins appeal over filming Messi's passport Updated: Apr-20-16 4:49 am
DUBAI, United Arab Emirates - An Emirati police officer has won an appeal of his prison sentence over posting a video online of him holding Barcelona star Lionel Messi's passport.
- Luis Enrique tries to restore Barcelona's confidence Updated: Apr-19-16 10:30 am
MADRID - Looking to find a way to end its freefall, Barcelona coach Luis Enrique has his hopes pinned on starting strong against Deportivo in La Coruna.
- Spanish league heats up after unlikely Barcelona collapse Updated: Apr-18-16 11:27 am
MADRID - Not even the most avid fans in Madrid could see this one coming.
- Rafael Nadal glad he won 9th Monte Carlo title the hard way Updated: Apr-17-16 4:56 pm
MONACO - Rafael Nadal is glad he won a ninth Monte Carlo Masters title the hard way, after defeating Frenchman Gael Monfils 7-5, 5-7, 6-0 in an error-strewn final Sunday.
- Keeping his cool as coach, Zidane keeps Madrid season alive Updated: Apr-15-16 6:26 am
MADRID - The hot-tempered France playmaker is gone. The level-headed Real Madrid leader is back.
- Atletico will be just as tough a CL draw as Real Madrid Updated: Apr-14-16 12:43 pm
- Students protest over Spain's education law, university fees Updated: Apr-14-16 10:22 am
MADRID - Thousands of high school students have staged demonstrations in cities across Spain to protest over the country's education law, changes in the duration of university degrees and university fee hikes.
- Once unbeatable Barcelona moves on after collapse Updated: Apr-14-16 6:35 am
MADRID - Once unbeatable Barcelona is wondering where it all went wrong.
- Atletico Madrid eliminates Barcelona from Champions League Updated: Apr-13-16 6:50 pm
MADRID - Lionel Messi, Luis Suarez and Neymar all failed to deliver as holder Barcelona was dumped out of the Champions League quarterfinals on Wednesday in a stunning 2-0 defeat by Spanish rival Atletico Madrid.
- Cristiano Ronaldo answers critics with goals, records Updated: Apr-13-16 11:02 am
MADRID - Cristiano Ronaldo is letting the goals speak for themselves.
- Quotes from voters in this week's AP Global Football 10 Updated: Apr-12-16 1:38 pm
LONDON - Ubiratan Leal, trivela.com, Brazil
- Madrid rests players in Liga to focus on Wolfsburg Updated: Apr-08-16 4:45 pm
MADRID - Real Madrid coach Zinedine Zidane is resting players for Saturday's Spanish league match against Eibar, with the goal of overturning his team's stunning loss at Wolfsburg in the Champions League.
- Luis Enrique worried about Barcelona's match at Sociedad Updated: Apr-08-16 4:32 pm
BARCELONA, Spain - It's not a visit to the Santiago Bernabeu that is worrying Barcelona coach Luis Enrique. Nor a trip to the Vicente Calderon.
- Atletico outraged, feels referee bias in favor of Barcelona Updated: Apr-06-16 11:52 am
MADRID - Atletico Madrid players feel there is a referee bias in favor of Barcelona in their Champions League quarterfinal because the titleholder is more popular and powerful.
- Suarez nets 2, Barca comes back to beat 10-man Atletico 2-1 Updated: Apr-05-16 6:57 pm
BARCELONA, Spain - Luis Suarez scored two second-half goals to lead Barcelona to a 2-1 comeback victory over 10-man Atletico Madrid in the first leg of their Champions League quarterfinal on Tuesday.
- Spanish league denounces anti-gay insults at Ronaldo Updated: Apr-05-16 11:10 am
MADRID - The Spanish league has denounced anti-gay slurs directed toward Real Madrid forward Cristiano Ronaldo during Saturday's match at Barcelona.
- Spanish authorities probing Messi over offshore accounts Updated: Apr-04-16 2:27 pm
MADRID - Spanish tax authorities said Monday they are investigating allegations of tax irregularities involving soccer player Lionel Messi after documents released by an international probe of offshore accounts.
- Barca faces rival Atletico in Champions League quarterfinals Updated: Apr-04-16 2:02 am
MADRID - The Spanish rivalry between Barcelona and Atletico Madrid returns to the Champions League, this time with gritty Atletico filled with confidence and powerful Barcelona struggling.