- Protests over Spanish court probe of Catalan secession poll Updated: Oct-13-15 3:23 pm
BARCELONA, Spain - Thousands of pro-Catalan independence supporters on Tuesday protested the start of a Spanish court investigation into the regional government's symbolic referendum on secession from Spain last year.
- King Felipe presides at parade marking Spain's national day Updated: Oct-12-15 12:10 pm
MADRID - King Felipe VI presided over a military parade celebrating Spain's National Day on Monday during which 3,400 soldiers in crisp uniforms marched in central Madrid while armed forces aircraft performed a flyby, leaving trails of red and yellow smoke representing the Spanish flag.
- Monchi's method: The soccer man everyone wants in Europe Updated: Oct-11-15 10:08 am
MADRID - He's known as Monchi. And his method for evaluating soccer talent has Europe's attention.
- Brazil loses without Neymar; Argentina falls with no Messi Updated: Oct-08-15 10:25 pm
RIO DE JANEIRO - Brazil showed Thursday it can't win against the best without Barcelona star Neymar, losing 2-0 at Chile as qualifying in South America opened for the 2018 World Cup in Russia.
- Messi to stand trial in Spain on 3 counts of tax fraud Updated: Oct-08-15 6:46 pm
MADRID - Lionel Messi will stand trial in Spain on three counts of tax fraud and could be sentenced to nearly two years in prison if found guilty.
- Spain: Catalonia train service halted due to cable theft Updated: Oct-08-15 5:31 am
MADRID - High-speed train service throughout the northeastern region of Catalonia bordering France was suspended for hours Thursday after thieves stole fiber-optic cable alongside the tracks that officials said was critical for maintaining train safety.
- No Messi, Neymar, Suarez and Rodriguez as qualifying opens Updated: Oct-07-15 3:48 pm
BUENOS AIRES, Argentina - Lionel Messi, Neymar, Luis Suarez and James Rodriguez will all be missing when 2018 World Cup qualifying gets underway in South America on Thursday.
- Barcelona falls 2-1 to Sevilla in Spanish league Updated: Oct-03-15 1:01 pm
MADRID - Barcelona lost 2-1 at struggling Sevilla on Saturday, missing the chance to take the provisional lead in the Spanish league.
- Villarreal looking to keep momentum going in Spain Updated: Oct-01-15 9:10 am
MADRID - Looking for its sixth win a row, Villarreal is the team to beat in Spain.
- Iniesta joins Messi on Barcelona's injured list Updated: Sep-29-15 5:34 pm
BARCELONA, Spain - Barcelona midfielder Andres Iniesta has hurt a leg muscle and will join Lionel Messi on the European champion's injured list.
- Barca fights back 2-1 over Leverkusen without injured Messi Updated: Sep-29-15 5:22 pm
BARCELONA, Spain - Barcelona needed two goals in the final 10 minutes in the absence of injured star Lionel Messi to come back for a 2-1 home win over Bayer Leverkusen and take the Group E lead in the Champions League on Tuesday.
- Haas F1 names Frenchman Romain Grosjean 1st driver Updated: Sep-29-15 2:03 pm
KANNAPOLIS, North Carolina - Gene Haas initially talked of hiring an American driver for his new Formula One team.
- Bayern Munich, Lewandowski at top of AP Global Football 10 Updated: Sep-29-15 12:35 pm
LONDON - Bayern Munich and Robert Lewandowski took the top spots in The Associated Press Global Football 10 polls on Tuesday.
- Ronaldinho parts ways with Rio club Fluminense Updated: Sep-29-15 11:56 am
RIO DE JANEIRO - Two-time FIFA player of the year Ronaldinho has left Rio de Janeiro club Fluminense after only two months.
- Barcelona hosts Bayer Leverkusen without Lionel Messi Updated: Sep-28-15 11:33 am
MADRID - Without Lionel Messi, it's time for Neymar to step up on the big stage.
- Barcelona to be tested without Messi in Champions League Updated: Sep-28-15 1:31 am
MADRID - Barcelona's first game without the injured Lionel Messi will be an important one in the Champions League.
- Spain: Pro-secession parties in Catalonia win landmark vote Updated: Sep-27-15 8:14 pm
BARCELONA, Spain - Pro-secession parties pushing for Spain's northeastern Catalonia region to break away and form a new Mediterranean nation won a landmark vote Sunday by capturing a regional parliamentary majority, setting up a possible showdown over independence with the central government in Madrid.
- Questions and answers about the Catalonia independence vote Updated: Sep-27-15 5:59 pm
BARCELONA, Spain - Parties pushing for independence from Spain won a majority of seats in Catalonia's regional Parliament in a ballot Sunday, but failed to secure more than 50 percent of the popular vote in an election they had hoped would give them a clear, unequivocal mandate for secession.
- Barcelona's Messi tears knee ligament, out 7-8 weeks Updated: Sep-26-15 5:09 pm
BARCELONA, Spain - Barcelona faces two long months without Lionel Messi after its star forward tore a ligament in his left knee during the defending champion's Spanish league match against Las Palmas on Saturday.
- Brazil court freezes almost $50 million in Neymar assets Updated: Sep-25-15 6:19 pm
RIO DE JANEIRO - A Brazilian court has frozen assets of Barcelona star Neymar, his family and related businesses valued at 188.8 million Brazilian reals ($48 million).
- Liga boss: Spanish league without Catalan clubs unimaginable Updated: Sep-24-15 12:51 pm
MADRID - The Spanish league would be unimaginable without Catalan clubs in it, La Liga's president said Thursday.
- Turan not optimistic about being allowed to replace Rafinha Updated: Sep-23-15 2:01 pm
BARCELONA, Spain - Barcelona player Arda Turan does not think FIFA will grant the club permission to register him early, thus enabling him to replace the injured midfielder Rafinha, his agent says.
- Barcelona to face America or Asian team in Club World Cup Updated: Sep-23-15 9:28 am
ZURICH - Barcelona will begin its quest for the Club World Cup title against either Club America of Mexico or the Asian Champions League winner.
- Sports, politics mix in Barcelona in Catalonia secession bid Updated: Sep-23-15 6:35 am
BARCELONA, Spain - Sports and politics are never far apart in Barcelona's Camp Nou football stadium. Moments after fans emitted a collective sigh last weekend over a narrowly missed strike by Lionel Messi, the chants rang through the stadium as they always do at the 17th minute of a home game: INDEPENDENCIA! INDEPENDENCIA! INDEPENDENCIA!
- Barcelona's Rafinha out 6 months after knee surgery Updated: Sep-22-15 10:00 am
BARCELONA, Spain - Barcelona says midfielder Rafinha will be sidelined for six months after having surgery on torn ligaments in his right knee.