- Miami-Dade, Broward officials oppose Scott's hospital plan Updated: May-29-15 7:40 pm
MIAMI - Gov. Rick Scott is having a hard time getting officials in the state's largest counties to back his proposal that would require cuts for many public hospitals and instead funnel money to for-profit ones.
- Canadian diplomat: Son charged in killings no troublemaker Updated: May-29-15 5:03 pm
MIAMI - A senior Canadian diplomat testified Friday that her teenage son was never in trouble or violent before his alleged involvement in a drug-related shootout that left her other son dead.
- New lab can create hurricane conditions on demand Updated: May-29-15 6:31 am
MIAMI - Researchers trying to figure out what makes some hurricanes strengthen into catastrophic monsters have a new lab that allows them to generate tropical storm conditions with the flip of a switch.
- AP Source: Contract talks between Wade, Heat at impasse Updated: May-28-15 6:31 pm
MIAMI - For the first time, the relationship between Dwyane Wade and the Miami Heat seems murky at best.
- Obama: TX, OK storms a reminder to prepare for disasters Updated: May-28-15 5:57 pm
MIAMI - President Barack Obama said Thursday that deadly flooding in Texas and Oklahoma is a reminder that the U.S. needs to toughen its response to the effects of natural disasters. He said climate change is affecting both the pace and intensity of storms.
- Obama visits shrine to honor Cuban Americans Updated: May-28-15 2:44 pm
MIAMI - President Barack Obama has visited a shrine in Miami to honor Cuban Americans.
- Obama meets with family of reporter killed by Islamic State Updated: May-28-15 2:03 pm
MIAMI - President Barack Obama has met with the family of an American journalist who was killed last year by the Islamic State group.
- Miami police offer new bicycles in exchange for guns Updated: May-28-15 3:05 am
MIAMI - The Miami Police Department is offering to trade guns for new bicycles.
- US, Swiss target top soccer officials in corruption probe Updated: May-27-15 7:38 pm
ZURICH - The U.S. government launched an attack on what it called deep-seated and brazen corruption in soccer's global governing body Wednesday, pulling FIFA executives out of a luxury Swiss hotel to face racketeering charges and raiding regional offices in Miami.
- Florida coasts have grown, but hurricane damage risk hasn't Updated: May-27-15 7:15 pm
MIAMI - Since eight hurricanes whipped through Florida during back-to-back seasons a decade ago, causing $33 billion in insurance claims, the state's coastal communities have added an additional 1.5 million people and almost a half-million new houses, an Associated Press analysis shows.
- Police confirm body found off Miami coast is missing woman Updated: May-27-15 7:11 am
MIAMI - Police have confirmed the remains of a woman found in Biscayne Bay off Miami are that of a missing 26-year-old woman.
- Group of Florida lawyers taking trip to Cuba Updated: May-27-15 3:06 am
MIAMI - A contingent of Florida lawyers is heading to Cuba to learn about the communist island's legal and regulatory systems, as well as its economy and politics.
- Miami's Thompson on a roll heading into NCAA Tournament Updated: May-26-15 5:30 pm
CORAL GABLES, Florida - David Thompson technically tied for last place among all Division I players last season in home runs, considering he had none.
- 5 Things to Know in Florida for May 27 Updated: May-26-15 5:27 pm
Your daily look at news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about today.
- Police: 3 children hurt when waterspout uproots bounce house Updated: May-26-15 4:43 am
MIAMI - Police say two of the three children tossed onto a South Florida beach from a bounce house sent flying by a waterspout have been sent home from a hospital with minor injuries, hours after the inflatable was sent airborne.
- 30 more arrested for fire, water damage home insurance fraud Updated: May-26-15 3:05 am
MIAMI - Authorities say 30 more people have been arrested in an ongoing South Florida insurance fraud investigation involving staged fires and water damage at dozens of homes.
- Founder of Miami Fashion week selling shares Updated: May-26-15 3:04 am
MIAMI - The founder of Miami Fashion Week is selling her stake in the company.
- At least 3 missing in Florida waters, 1 off Mississippi Updated: May-25-15 9:41 pm
MIAMI - Rough surf churned up dangerous conditions from swimmers and complicated rescue efforts along Florida beaches over a holiday weekend in which at least four people went missing in boating and swimming incidents, authorities said.
- Miami, Orlando schools ditch Styrofoam trays Updated: May-25-15 3:05 am
MIAMI - The school districts in Miami and Orlando are removing Styrofoam trays from school lunchrooms and replacing them with compostable plates made of recycled newsprint.
- Awaiting ruling, Matusz pitches in Orioles' loss to Miami Updated: May-24-15 6:18 pm
MIAMI - For a lefty in limbo, Brian Matusz pitched well Sunday.
- Jennings' moves pay off and Marlins beat Orioles 5-2 Updated: May-24-15 5:53 pm
MIAMI - Two innings in a row, new Miami Marlins manager Dan Jennings went to the mound to switch pitchers. Each time, the new reliever escaped a jam to help close out a 5-2 victory Sunday against Baltimore.
- Haitian Caribbean Book Fair showcases culture in Miami Updated: May-24-15 3:04 am
MIAMI - Haitian-American author Edwidge Danticat says a book fair in Miami's Little Haiti helps the community hold onto its culture as the neighborhood becomes gentrified.
- Orioles reliever leaves game after umps inspect his forearm Updated: May-24-15 12:54 am
MIAMI - The Baltimore Orioles' bullpen was already stretched thin in the 12th inning when left-hander Brian Matusz was ejected for using a sticky substance that was on his right arm.
- Judge orders release for man sentenced to life as a teen Updated: May-23-15 4:28 pm
MIAMI - A Miami man sentenced to life in prison as a juvenile in the slaying of an ice cream vendor's wife has been freed after serving 44 years in prison.
- Judge orders release for man sentenced to life as a teen Updated: May-23-15 11:01 am
MIAMI - A South Florida man sentenced to life in prison as a juvenile in the slaying of an ice cream vendor's wife has been freed after serving 44 years in prison.