- Iraqi militias train young teens to face the threat of IS Updated: Jul-28-15 10:41 am
BAGHDAD - In the steamy Baghdad night, sweat poured down the faces of the Iraqi teens as they marched around a school courtyard, training for battle against the Islamic State group.
- Top Iraq Shiite cleric calls for protection of army families Updated: Jul-24-15 7:55 am
BAGHDAD - Iraq's top Shiite cleric on Friday called on the government in Baghdad to do more to protect the families of Iraqi forces fighting the Islamic State group, saying they are an "easy prey" for extremists bent on revenge attacks.
- Defense Secretary Carter meeting with Kurds in Iraq Updated: Jul-24-15 7:35 am
IRBIL, Iraq - U.S. Defense Secretary Ash Carter held talks Friday with Iraqi Kurdish leaders in their regional capital of Irbil, seeking insights to their military successes against the Islamic State.
- Armed citizens guard recruiters after Tennessee shootings Updated: Jul-22-15 5:41 pm
COLUMBUS, Ohio - Gun-toting citizens are showing up at military recruiting centers around the country, saying they plan to protect recruiters following last week's killing of four Marines and a sailor in Chattanooga, Tennessee.
- Iraqis brave searing heat in finals days of Ramadan Updated: Jul-16-15 12:56 pm
BAGHDAD - Iraqi policeman Ziad Radi is no stranger to hot weather, but his sun-blasted face is testament that even for seasoned Iraqis, the weather on Thursday was almost too hot to bear.
- Iraq closes border crossing with Jordan until further notice Updated: Jul-16-15 11:59 am
BAGHDAD - Iraq closed its border with Jordan until further notice, in part to deprive Islamic State militants of taxes they impose on cargo trucks driving through their territory, a senior Iraqi military official said Thursday.
- Dubai's Emirates to resume flights to northern Iraqi city Updated: Jul-15-15 5:10 am
DUBAI, United Arab Emirates - The Middle East's biggest airline says it plans to resume flights to the northern Iraqi city of Irbil after suspending them amid concerns about deteriorating security earlier this year.
- Senators quiz military chiefs, criticize US fight against IS Updated: Jul-07-15 3:48 pm
WASHINGTON - Facing blistering criticism from Republican senators, Defense Secretary Ash Carter acknowledged on Tuesday that the U.S. has only 60 trainees in a program to prepare and arm thousands of moderate Syrian rebels in the fight against Islamic State militants.
- Iraqi musicians play ancient oud to soften din of war Updated: Jul-03-15 3:22 am
BAGHDAD - In a Baghdad workshop plastered with black-and-white photos from a more peaceful time, Mahmoud Abdulnabi hand-carves a wooden oud, a string instrument with ancient roots that has fallen silent in much of the war-torn country.
- Iraq: Attacks inside, around Baghdad kill at least 7 people Updated: Jun-29-15 8:26 am
BAGHDAD - Officials say attacks inside and around Baghdad have killed at least seven people.