- Europe's migrant crisis brings new death by land and sea Updated: Aug-28-15 4:28 pm
VIENNA - Death and desperation mounted in Europe's migrant crisis Friday as Austrian police said 71 people appeared to have suffocated in the back of an abandoned truck, while an estimated 200 people were feared drowned off Libya when two overloaded boats capsized.
- Correction: Iran-Nuclear story Updated: Aug-28-15 2:00 pm
VIENNA - In a story Aug. 19 about an arrangement over alleged past nuclear weapons work between Iran and the International Atomic Energy Agency, The Associated Press erroneously referred to Parchin as a "nuclear site. In fact, it's a military site where some believe nuclear work occurred.
- Correction: Iran-Nuclear story Updated: Aug-28-15 1:08 pm
VIENNA - In a story Aug. 19 about an arrangement over alleged past nuclear weapons work between Iran and the International Atomic Energy Agency, The Associated Press reported erroneously referred to Parchin as a "nuclear site." In fact, it is a military site where some believe nuclear weapons work may have occurred.
- Balkan summit on migrants overshadowed by migrant deaths Updated: Aug-27-15 11:13 am
VIENNA - Austrian Chancellor Werner Faymann had just finished telling other European leaders that there was an urgent need to crack down on human traffickers when the news came: at least 20 migrants - possibly up to 50 - have been found dead in a truck just miles away.
- Shakhtar beats Rapid Vienna to qualify for group stage Updated: Aug-25-15 4:46 pm
LVIV, Ukraine - Ukraine's Shakhtar Donetsk overcame a rocky start to qualify for the Champions League group stage Tuesday, drawing 2-2 with Austrian side Rapid Vienna for a 3-2 aggregate win.
- Austria's Alaba, Leitgeb return for Euro 2016 qualifiers Updated: Aug-25-15 6:36 am
VIENNA - Austria midfielders David Alaba and Christoph Leitgeb will return from injuries for next month's Euro 2016 qualifiers against Moldova and Sweden.
- Shakhtar's Stepanenko out of hospital following head injury Updated: Aug-20-15 5:56 am
VIENNA - Shakhtar Donetsk midfielder Taras Stepanenko has been released from hospital and was traveling back to Ukraine with his team on Thursday, a day after hurting his head in a Champions League playoff game at Rapid Vienna.
- Shakhtar beats Rapid Vienna 1-0 in Champions League playoff Updated: Aug-19-15 5:37 pm
VIENNA - Shakhtar Donetsk beat Rapid Vienna 1-0 in the first leg of their Champions League playoff Wednesday, positioning itself for reaching the group stage for a sixth straight season.
- Austria investigating extremist on suspicion of murder Updated: Aug-14-15 11:43 am
VIENNA - The Austrian prosecutor's office is investigating an Islamic extremist on suspicion of murder after a video was posted showing him shooting a kneeling man to death in Syria.
- Neo-Nazis shut out of Austrian academy that rejected Hitler Updated: Aug-13-15 7:31 am
VIENNA - Hungarian neo-Nazis hoping to visit the Austrian art academy that rejected Hitler more than a century ago received the same response Thursday- no admittance.
- Former Austria captain Ivanschitz joins Seattle Sounders Updated: Aug-04-15 2:30 pm
VIENNA - Former Austria captain Andreas Ivanschitz is joining Seattle Sounders FC in the MLS after Spanish club Levante terminated its contract with the attacking midfielder.