- Australia warns children of foreign fighters risk charges Updated: May-26-15 8:37 pm
CANBERRA, Australia - An Australian boy who was photographed holding the severed head of a Syrian soldier could reportedly return to Australia with his mother and siblings, prompting the prime minister to warn Wednesday that children as well as adults who break terrorism laws face prosecution.
- California looks to Australia for tips on surviving drought Updated: May-25-15 9:32 pm
SYDNEY - California has turned to the world's driest inhabited continent for solutions to its longest and sharpest drought on record.
- Sydney siege inquest: Gunman secretive, defiant narcissist Updated: May-25-15 3:46 am
SYDNEY - The man who took 18 people hostage at a Sydney cafe last year was educated and erratic, secretive about his own life and public about his many grievances, and a self-obsessed fabulist whose life was spiraling downward in the lead-up to his deadly attack, lawyers told an inquest Monday.
- Sydney signs Senegal player Tavares for 2 more years Updated: May-20-15 10:56 pm
SYDNEY - Sydney FC has extended the contract of French-born Senegal international Mickael Tavares for a further two A-League seasons.
- FFA terminates Newcastle license over financial issues Updated: May-20-15 3:00 am
SYDNEY - Football Federation Australia has terminated the Newcastle Jets' A-League operating license hours after financially troubled owner Nathan Tinkler placed the club into voluntary administration with debts of 2.7 million Australian dollars ($2.14 million).
- Melbourne Victory win A-League title, beat Sydney FC 3-0 Updated: May-17-15 6:47 am
MELBOURNE, Australia - Albanian striker Besart Berisha added to his team-leading goal total in the biggest match of the season, helping the Melbourne Victory to a 3-0 win over Sydney FC in the A-League grand final Sunday.
- Asian champion Western Sydney cut 10 players in Australia Updated: May-15-15 3:37 am
SYDNEY - Asian champion Western Sydney has sacked 10 players after a poor domestic A-League season, including Socceroo striker Tomi Juric and Champions League hero and goalkeeper Ante Covic.
- A-League final: anybody got a ticket for Sydney vs Victory? Updated: May-14-15 8:33 pm
The Melbourne Victory will host Sydney FC in the A-League's grand final on Sunday in a stadium that, quite frankly, is only about half as big as they'd prefer.
- SOLD!: Iconic 2000 Olympic rings from Sydney Harbour Bridge Updated: May-14-15 1:41 am
SYDNEY - The five massive rings from the Sydney Harbour Bridge which were the focal point of celebrations during the 2000 Olympics have been sold for 21,000 Australian dollars ($17,000).
- Study reveals gay discrimination in sports Updated: May-09-15 8:56 pm
SYDNEY - One in four gay men said they had received verbal threats of harm or had been bullied while participating in sports, and around 80 percent of people said they had witnessed such discrimination, according to a survey of 9,500 respondents.
- Sydney FC advances to A-League grand final against Victory Updated: May-09-15 8:03 am
SYDNEY - Captain Alex Brosque scored goals minutes before and after halftime Saturday to lead Sydney FC to a 4-1 win over Adelaide United and a berth in the A-League grand final against the Melbourne Victory.
- Western Sydney extends contract of coach Popovic to 2018 Updated: May-07-15 11:51 pm
SYDNEY - Reigning Asian club champion Western Sydney has extended the contract of coach Tony Popovic to the end of the 2017-18 season despite a disappointing A-League campaign.
- Prince Harry ends monthlong embedment with Australian army Updated: May-07-15 1:47 am
SYDNEY - Hundreds of cheering Australians crowded around Sydney's Opera House on Thursday to bid adieu to Britain's Prince Harry as he wrapped up a month-long embedment with the Australian army.
- Melbourne City beats Wellington 2-0 in A-League playoff Updated: May-03-15 5:20 am
WELLINGTON, New Zealand - Melbourne City will meet top-ranked Melbourne Victory in a semifinal derby after beating Wellington 2-0 Sunday in a playoff match in Australian football's A-League.
- IOC president Bach discusses potential Australia bid Updated: Apr-29-15 6:41 am
CANBERRA, Australia - Australia would have a good chance of success if it bid to host the 2028 Olympic Games in Queensland state, International Olympic Committee President Thomas Bach said on Wednesday.
- Andrew Lesnie, 'Lord of the Rings' cinematographer, dies Updated: Apr-29-15 4:41 am
SYDNEY - Oscar-winning Australian cinematographer Andrew Lesnie, best known for his work on "The Lord of the Rings," has died, friends and colleagues said Wednesday. He was 59.
- Mark Bosnich pleads guilty to reckless driving Updated: Apr-28-15 12:50 am
SYDNEY - Former Manchester United goalkeeper Mark Bosnich has pleaded guilty in a Sydney court to a charge of reckless driving relating to an incident last year in which a cyclist was injured.
- Melbourne Victory finish A-League season in 1st place Updated: Apr-26-15 5:33 am
SYDNEY - Adelaide United will play Brisbane and Wellington will host Melbourne City in next weekend's first round of playoff matches in Australian football's A-League.