- Melbourne Victory joins Shanghai in 2nd round; Suwon exits Updated: May-03-16 6:23 pm
MELBOURNE, Australia - Melbourne Victory scored twice in the first 17 minutes and held off Japan's Gamba Osaka 2-1 to secure a place in the second round of the Asian Champions League on Tuesday.
- Adelaide beats Western Sydney 3-1 in A-League final Updated: May-01-16 4:54 am
ADELAIDE, Australia - Substitute Pablo Sanchez scored in the last minute to clinch Adelaide United's 3-1 win over Western Sydney in the grand final of Australian football's A-League Sunday, giving the Reds their first title and leaving the Wanderers runners-up for the third time in four years.
- Diego Castro wins top individual award in Australian soccer Updated: Apr-26-16 8:03 am
SYDNEY - Perth Glory winger Diego Castro has won the top individual honor in Australia's A-League.
- Australian teen pleads not guilty to plotting terror attack Updated: Apr-25-16 10:31 pm
SYDNEY - A teenager pleaded not guilty on Tuesday to plotting a terrorist attack on an Australian Veteran's Day ceremony.
- Western Sydney beat Brisbane 5-4 in A-League semi Updated: Apr-24-16 6:05 am
SYDNEY - Dario Vidosic scored in the 12th minute of extra time to give the Western Sydney Wanderers a 5-4 win over Brisbane on Sunday in an extraordinary semifinal in Australian football's A-League.
- Melbourne City beats Perth 2-0 to reach A-League semifinals Updated: Apr-17-16 5:32 am
MELBOURNE, Australia - Melbourne City will play Adelaide United in next weekend's semifinals of Australian football's A-League after beating Perth 2-0 Sunday in the first round of the playoffs.
- Australian veteran injured by Islamic radical cellmate Updated: Apr-10-16 3:00 am
SYDNEY - An Australian state has ordered a review of how radicalized prisoners are managed after a teenage inmate reportedly carved an Islamic State motto on his army veteran cellmate's forehead, officials said Sunday.
- Hopoate's Mormon faith comes first: no Sunday NRL matches Updated: Apr-06-16 10:35 pm
Like many Mormon athletes before him, Australian rugby league star Will Hopoate felt he had to choose between playing matches on a Sunday, or make himself unavailable.
- In Australia, surfing soothes asylum-seekers' fears of sea Updated: Apr-05-16 1:07 am
SYDNEY - They gather under the blazing sun and blue skies of an Australian beach, looking out at the water that once symbolized so much misery: Terrifying boat trips marked by sickness and death and the constant dread that their own lives might be nearing the end. But today, the sea will become their unlikely savior.
- Australian writer Bob Ellis dies in Sydney of cancer aged 73 Updated: Apr-03-16 9:03 pm
CANBERRA, Australia - Australian author, journalist and speech writer for the center-left Labor Party Bob Ellis died at his Sydney home of liver cancer on Sunday, his son said. He was 73 years old.