- Australian police won't charge Mel Gibson over tirade claim Updated: Sep-03-15 7:04 am
SYDNEY - Police do not intend to charge Mel Gibson over an allegation that the Oscar-winning director shoved and abused a newspaper photographer who snapped pictures of him and his new girlfriend in Sydney last month, officials said Thursday.
- 12-time Melbourne Cup-winning trainer Bart Cummings dies Updated: Aug-30-15 10:54 am
SYDNEY - Bart Cummings, one of Australia's most successful racehorse trainers who won the Melbourne Cup a record 12 times, has died at the age of 87.
- The Latest: Canada asks for release of Al-Jazeera defendant Updated: Aug-29-15 7:47 am
CAIRO - Here are the latest developments in Egypt's retrial of three Al-Jazeera English journalists (all times local):
- Alleged Syrian war recruiter loses Sydney court challenge Updated: Aug-27-15 12:47 am
SYDNEY - A Sydney man accused of recruiting foreign fighters to battle the Syrian regime lost a court challenge on Thursday to the Australian law that he was charged with breaking.
- Hugh Jackman plans Australian concert tour Updated: Aug-24-15 6:31 am
SYDNEY - Hugh Jackman is knocking an item off his bucket list.
- Shark seriously injures surfer off Australia's east coast Updated: Aug-22-15 6:40 am
SYDNEY - A shark seriously injured a surfer Saturday as a spate of attacks continued on Australia's central east coast.
- Ex-college basketball player to make history Down Under Updated: Aug-21-15 2:12 am
MELBOURNE, Australia - Jason Holmes will make a bit of American sporting history this weekend, when he becomes the first U.S. born-and-raised player to compete at the top level of Australian rules football.
- Australian 'Prisoner' star avoids jail for child sex abuse Updated: Aug-20-15 11:41 pm
MELBOURNE, Australia - Actress Maggie Kirkpatrick, who played a sadistic prison warden nicknamed "The Freak" in an Australian soap opera, avoided jail on Friday when she was sentenced for molesting a 14-year-old devoted fan of the series more than 30 years ago.
- 5 suspected jihadis attempt twice to leave Sydney for Syria Updated: Aug-20-15 5:01 am
CANBERRA, Australia - Five young men have become the largest single group of suspected jihadis to attempt to leave Australia for Syria and Iraq. But they were stopped twice on consecutive days last week by counterterrorism officials at Sydney International Airport, a minister said Friday.
- 91-year-old Sydney man charged with importing cocaine Updated: Aug-11-15 8:41 am
SYDNEY - A 91-year-old retired surgeon has been charged with importing cocaine hidden in soap into Australia, prompting police to warn travelers to beware they are not tricked into becoming drug mules.
- Diego Castro Gimenez to join Perth Glory in Australia league Updated: Aug-05-15 11:36 pm
PERTH, Australia - The Australian football club Perth Glory says it's signing Spanish winger Diego Castro Gimenez for the upcoming A-League season.