- Phillip Lucas appointed AP reporter in Birmingham, Alabama Updated: May-28-15 11:37 am
ATLANTA - Phillip Lucas, a journalist who has helped The Associated Press coordinate and cover significant stories across the South and beyond, has been hired to work as a reporter for the news cooperative in Birmingham, Alabama.
- Atlanta man accused of killing wife found dead Updated: May-28-15 5:47 am
ATLANTA - The Paulding County Sheriff's Office says a man accused of killing his wife has been found dead near a southwest Atlanta park.
- Hawks point to bright future even after playoff rout by Cavs Updated: May-27-15 10:53 pm
ATLANTA - The season didn't end like they wanted.
- Hawks' Korver has surgery to repair ankle ligament damage Updated: May-27-15 10:20 pm
- Georgia man pleads guilty to seeking to join Islamic State Updated: May-27-15 5:28 pm
AUGUSTA, Georgia - A 37-year-old Georgia salesman pleaded guilty Wednesday to federal charges that he supported terrorists, saying he bought a one-way ticket overseas to join the Islamic State group.
- Police: Woman who gave workers kidnap note is alive and well Updated: May-27-15 4:34 pm
ATLANTA - Atlanta police say they've found a woman who disappeared after giving employees of a fast-food restaurant a note saying she was being held against her will and needed help.
- Man accused of killing 4 in Atlanta area pleads not guilty Updated: May-27-15 3:35 pm
ATLANTA - A man accused of killing three men and a hairdresser walking to her car has pleaded not guilty in a death penalty case.
- Dispute over MLK Bible, Nobel prize headed for mediation Updated: May-27-15 11:44 am
ATLANTA - A legal battle over the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr.'s traveling Bible and 1964 Nobel Peace Prize is headed for court-ordered mediation, and lawyers for both sides said Wednesday they hope for a lasting resolution to issues that have long divided the civil rights icon's heirs.
- Man sentenced in death of metro Atlanta cab driver Updated: May-27-15 5:59 am
LAWRENCEVILLE, Georgia - A man has been sentenced in the 2014 shooting death of a metro Atlanta taxi driver.
- Cellphone thieves targeting college students in Atlanta Updated: May-26-15 6:59 am
ATLANTA - Atlanta police are investigating a string of cellphone robberies near college campuses.
- Correction: Unattended Child Campaign story Updated: May-25-15 3:50 pm
ATLANTA - In a story May 23 about an event to launch a campaign to raise awareness of the dangers of leaving children in unattended vehicle, The Associated Press reported erroneously that the event was set for Wednesday (May 27). It is scheduled for June 3.
- Police arrest man after car involved in 2 police chases Updated: May-25-15 12:55 pm
ATLANTA - Officials said a state trooper fired at a suspect during a chase, but no one was injured.
- Foltynewicz pitches into 8th, Braves beat Brewers 2-1 Updated: May-24-15 5:56 pm
ATLANTA - Atlanta rookie Mike Foltynewicz had command of his pitches, and that gave him the edge he needed to top Jimmy Nelson and the Milwaukee Brewers.
- Police investigate suspicious death of security guard Updated: May-24-15 4:16 pm
EAST POINT, Georgia - Police are investigating the suspicious death of a security guard found with a gunshot wound south of Atlanta.
- Mayor: Plan for bullet train likely stopped in its tracks Updated: May-24-15 3:15 pm
CHATTANOOGA, Tennessee - Chattanooga is looking into the possibility of building light commuter rail throughout the city, Mayor Andy Berke said.
- DeKalb fire officials color coding hydrants Updated: May-24-15 9:05 am
DECATUR, Georgia - A metro Atlanta fire department is repainting hydrants to give crews an idea of how much water is available when they arrive on the scene of a fire.
- Hawks' Kyle Korver out for the playoffs with sprained ankle Updated: May-23-15 4:32 pm
ATLANTA - Already facing a daunting task after losing the first two games at home in the Eastern Conference final, the Atlanta Hawks were dealt another major blow Saturday when 3-point specialist Kyle Korver was ruled out for the rest of the playoffs because of a severely sprained right ankle.
- Augusta man returns to his passion for puppets Updated: May-23-15 4:12 pm
AUGUSTA, Georgia - The back room of Keith Bailey's Harrisburg home is filled with fabric in an array of colors and materials.
- Reversal of Great Migration? Counties seeing racial shifts Updated: May-23-15 3:14 pm
CONYERS, Georgia - Numerous counties in metro Atlanta have seen a large racial shift this century, akin to a reversal of the 20th century's Great Migration, when millions of African-Americans moved to the North.
- James leads Cavs to 94-82 win over Hawks, 2-0 series lead Updated: May-23-15 12:23 am
ATLANTA - Forget the Big Three.
- Hawks lose Korver to right ankle sprain against Cavs Updated: May-22-15 10:43 pm
- Hawks' DeMarre Carroll starts vs. Cavaliers in Game 2 Updated: May-22-15 8:26 pm
- Brewers' Smith suspended 8 games for rosin, sunscreen on arm Updated: May-22-15 7:26 pm
ATLANTA - Milwaukee Brewers manager Craig Counsell didn't see a shiny substance on reliever Will Smith's right arm until it was too late.
- TSA urging holiday weekend travelers to plan ahead Updated: May-22-15 7:05 pm
ATLANTA - Officials are urging Memorial Day Weekend travelers to give themselves extra time as large crowds are expected to pass through the Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport.
- Alex Wood misses start because of stomach virus Updated: May-22-15 5:33 pm