- Mining company's stock dives as Brazil sues in dam tragedy Updated: May-04-16 10:20 am
LONDON - Shares in miner BHP Billiton tumbled after Brazil's federal prosecutor launched a $43 billion civil suit for a dam break that killed 19 people and caused the worst environmental disaster in the country's history.
- Feds set short red snapper season in Gulf; Alabama differs Updated: Apr-27-16 6:36 pm
MOBILE, Alabama - The federal government says private recreational anglers will have only nine days to fish for red snapper in the Gulf of Mexico this summer, but at least one Gulf state said Wednesday that won't apply in its waters.
- Regulators relax monitoring of decade-old Gulf oil leak Updated: Apr-26-16 4:53 pm
BATON ROUGE, Louisiana - Federal regulators have relaxed a pollution monitoring requirement for a company responsible for a decade-old oil leak in the Gulf of Mexico, a slow-motion spill that could last another century.
- Oklahoma firm announces Gulf rig closure, layoffs Updated: Apr-22-16 8:56 am
BATON ROUGE, Louisiana - Helmerich & Payne International Drilling Company has notified the state that it anticipates dozens of workers at a rig in the Gulf of Mexico will lose their jobs because of a canceled contract.
- Offshore drilling opponents take chants into federal meeting Updated: Apr-18-16 6:42 pm
KENNER, Louisiana - About 50 opponents of continued oil and gas leases in the Gulf of Mexico rallied on a suburban New Orleans sidewalk Monday, then brought their chants into a federal open house about potential impacts of continuing the lease program for five more years.
- The Latest: Drilling protesters: 'The Gulf is not for sale!' Updated: Apr-18-16 5:03 pm
NEW ORLEANS - The Latest on public meeting about continued Gulf of Mexico offshore oil leasing (all times local):
- A bust hits the Oil Patch as rest of nation enjoys cheap gas Updated: Apr-17-16 11:42 am
HOUMA, Louisiana - It might sound strange, but the penny-pinching folks in Louisiana's Oil Patch can't wait for the price of gasoline to go back up.
- Oil spill fraud nets convictions for Keys father, daughter Updated: Apr-16-16 3:01 am
KEY WEST, Florida - A Florida Keys man and his daughter have been convicted of making fraudulent claims for losses stemming from the 2010 Gulf of Mexico oil spill.
- Stricter offshore drilling rules issued, upsetting industry Updated: Apr-14-16 4:25 pm
NEW ORLEANS - The Obama administration issued new rules Thursday to make offshore oil and natural gas drilling equipment safer and to reduce risks in digging wells, but the oil industry and its supporters in Congress say they are costly and questioned their need.
- The Latest: Feds issue new, tougher offshore drilling rules Updated: Apr-14-16 2:01 pm
NEW ORLEANS - The Latest on new federal rules on offshore oil and gas drilling safety (all times local):
- Environmental groups oppose proposed dams near Pascagoula Updated: Apr-12-16 5:39 am
JACKSON, Mississippi - Environmental groups are calling on a federal agency to reject a potential dam-construction project near the Pascagoula River in southeast Mississippi.
- Coast Guard crews rescue teen adrift in Gulf of Mexico Updated: Apr-11-16 10:19 am
TARPON SPRINGS, Florida - A 17-year-old girl has been rescued after she became separated from relatives while on a kayaking trip off the coast of Tarpon Springs.
- Florida island bird mystery has new twist: Snake cannibalism Updated: Apr-11-16 3:05 am
SEAHORSE KEY, Florida - A Florida island where nesting birds mysteriously disappeared last year is experiencing another confounding event: Snakes are cannibalizing each other.
- Red snapper season could be an all-time low in Alabama Updated: Apr-09-16 12:38 pm
FAIRHOPE, Alabama - A house representative says Alabama anglers could be faced with the most restrictive red snapper quota ever in the Gulf of Mexico.
- New maps say New Orleans is much less vulnerable to floods Updated: Apr-08-16 4:52 pm
NEW ORLEANS - New federal maps say New Orleans is much less vulnerable to flooding than it was before Hurricane Katrina struck more than 10 years ago.
- Scalise to take peers on tour of Gulf's offshore drilling Updated: Apr-08-16 12:04 pm
NEW ORLEANS - House Majority Whip Steve Scalise is taking a batch of congressmen on a tour of the Gulf of Mexico's offshore oil and gas industry.
- $4 million fine for energy company's offshore violations Updated: Apr-07-16 2:53 pm
NEW ORLEANS - Federal prosecutors in New Orleans say an energy company was fined $4 million for violating federal laws governing safety and the environment on offshore facilities in the Gulf of Mexico.
- Teen dies, another recovering after fishing trip accident Updated: Apr-07-16 8:20 am
CAMERON, Louisiana - State wildlife officials say one man died and another is recovering after a fishing trip turned tragic when the pair's 18-foot aluminum boat took on water about 10 miles offshore south of Cameron Parish.
- The Latest: 10 months' probation for ex-BP rig supervisor Updated: Apr-06-16 3:04 pm
NEW ORLEANS - The Latest on the sentencing of a former BP rig supervisor on a misdemeanor pollution charge in connection with the 2010 Gulf of Mexico oil spill (all times local):
- 23.5M acres off Texas up for oil, gas leases in August Updated: Apr-05-16 3:06 pm
NEW ORLEANS - The federal government will offer 23.5 million acres off of Texas for oil and gas leases in August.
- US judge OKs $20B settlement from 2010 BP oil spill Updated: Apr-04-16 11:29 pm
NEW ORLEANS - A federal judge in New Orleans granted final approval Monday to an estimated $20 billion settlement over the 2010 BP oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico, resolving years of litigation over the worst offshore spill in the nation's history.
- Body found on beach ID'd as that of teen missing in Gulf Updated: Apr-04-16 8:38 pm
CORPUS CHRISTI, Texas - Authorities say a body found on Padre Island National Seashore has been identified as a North Texas teen who disappeared in rough waters in the Gulf of Mexico at Corpus Christi last week.
- The Latest: States, environmentalists weighing in on BP pact Updated: Apr-04-16 7:02 pm
NEW ORLEANS - The Latest on a $20 billion settlement in the 2010 BP oil spill (all times local):