- Magnitude-4.1 quake hits Hawaii's Big Island Updated: Feb-12-16 4:45 pm
HONOLULU - A magnitude-4.1 earthquake has jolted the southern flank of Hawaii's Kilauea volcano.
- 2nd fatal Big Island officer-involved shooting in days Updated: Feb-10-16 3:26 pm
HILO, Hawaii - Police officers on the Big Island have shot and killed a fugitive for the second time in less than a week.
- Lab seeks donations to help restore trees damaged by fungus Updated: Feb-10-16 9:12 am
HILO, Hawaii - A University of Hawaii conservation laboratory has set up an online crowdfunding page to help deal with a fungus that has infected hundreds of thousands of Hawaii's most important trees.
- Mayor: state of emergency for Big Island dengue outbreak Updated: Feb-08-16 9:59 pm
HILO, Hawaii - Hawaii County Mayor Billy Kenoi is declaring the island's ongoing dengue fever outbreak a state of emergency.
- Bills aim to combat invasive albizia trees Updated: Feb-06-16 12:50 pm
HILO, Hawaii - Two lawmakers are pushing legislation that would deal with invasive albizia trees, thousands of which fell and caused damage during Tropical Storm Iselle in August 2014.
- Lawmakers urge state to hire more vector control workers Updated: Jan-28-16 3:07 am
HILO, Hawaii - Big Island lawmakers are calling for the state to put more money into controlling populations of animals and insects that spread disease.
- Hawaii state Senator Gilbert Kahele died at 73 Updated: Jan-26-16 8:47 pm
HONOLULU - Hawaii state Sen. Gilbert Kahele, recalled as a big-hearted gentleman who cared deeply for his district, has died.
- The Latest: Hawaii lawmakers recall Sen. Kahele's big heart Updated: Jan-26-16 6:23 pm
HONOLULU - The latest on the death of Hawaii state Sen. Gilbert Kahele, who represented parts of the Big Island (all times local):
- State agency wants Mauna Kea observatories to pay more rent Updated: Jan-26-16 5:32 am
HILO, Hawaii - The Office of Hawaiian Affairs is calling on the state to raise the rent for observatories on Mauna Kea.
- State to move forward with plans for new Puna library Updated: Jan-26-16 5:13 am
HILO, Hawaii - The state is set to start the planning phase for a new public library for underserved residents in the rapidly growing Puna district.
- Coffee company details plans for Big Island land Updated: Jan-19-16 8:06 am
HILO, Hawaii - A coffee company is planning for its future a year after buying thousands of acres on Hawaii's Big Island.
- Dengue fever prompts Hawaii campground, trail, road closures Updated: Jan-15-16 10:22 pm
HONOLULU - Hawaii officials closed a Big Island road, campground and hiking trail in an effort to stop the spread of a dengue fever outbreak that has sickened 223 residents and visitors as of Friday.