- University of Hawaii part of highway project mitigation deal Updated: Apr-27-15 12:41 pm
HILO, Hawaii - Plans to widen the highway from Kona International Airport to Kealakehe Parkway will include $800,000 in mitigation funds to study Native Hawaiian archaeology and anthropology.
- Hawaii Innocence Project seeks review in Dana Ireland death Updated: Apr-26-15 8:40 pm
HILO, Hawaii - The Hawaii Innocence Project is calling for a review of a man convicted in a notorious 1991 rape, kidnapping and murder case.
- Big Island prison goes into lockdown after attempted escape Updated: Apr-25-15 7:11 pm
HILO, Hawaii - Big Island prison guards locked down their facility after four inmates attempted to escape Saturday.
- Kilauea lava lake at highest level to date, still rising Updated: Apr-24-15 8:47 am
HILO, Hawaii - The lava lake in Halema'uma'u Crater is at its highest level to date, offering unique up-close views to tourists who are already drawn to the site.
- University of Hawaii at Hilo adds campus security measures Updated: Apr-19-15 7:49 pm
HILO, Hawaii - The University of Hawaii at Hilo is taking steps to improve safety on campus that will include doubling the number of security cameras, according to its new security department director.
- 6-month sentence for stealing ailing Pahoa girl's donations Updated: Apr-14-15 2:05 pm
HILO, Hawaii - A Pahoa man has been sentenced to six months in jail for stealing a jar containing donations for a girl who needs a heart transplant.
- Big Island battalion chiefs sue county over pay, benefits Updated: Apr-13-15 3:29 pm
HILO, Hawaii - Hawaii County is being sued by 14 current and former battalion chiefs who argue their pay and benefits packages are not keeping pace with counterparts and subordinates covered by a collective bargaining agreement.
- Hawaii County police fire shots at drivers twice in 2 days Updated: Apr-12-15 8:56 pm
HILO, Hawaii - A Hawaii County police officer fired a shot Saturday at a suspect in a car, the second police shooting in two days.
- USS Chung-Hoon sailors waiting off the Big Island Updated: Apr-10-15 9:29 pm
HILO, Hawaii - A Pearl Harbor-based destroyer is waiting off the coast of the Big Island in hopes of visiting Hilo for the Merrie Monarch Festival.
- Man gets 10 years for robbing camping tourists by knifepoint Updated: Apr-09-15 4:07 pm
HILO, Hawaii - A man convicted of robbing two tourists by knifepoint while they camped on the Big Island two years ago has been sentenced to 10 years in prison.
- Hawaii veterans wait longer for care on outer islands Updated: Apr-09-15 12:11 pm
HONOLULU - Delays for medical appointments at Veterans Affairs facilities are shorter than the national average across much of Hawaii, but that's not true of outer islands.