- Defendants seek dismissal of U.Va. swim team hazing lawsuit Updated: Dec-01-15 7:58 am
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Virginia - Five former University of Virginia swim team members are asking a federal judge to dismiss a lawsuit accusing them of hazing.
- Man sues police, says he was detained against will Updated: Nov-30-15 3:01 am
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Virginia - Attorneys have filed a lawsuit against the Albemarle County Police Department after a man claims police unlawfully raided his truck and detained him against his will.
- UVa looks to private donors to fund student financial aid Updated: Nov-29-15 4:50 pm
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Virginia - The University of Virginia is increasingly looking to private donors to cover tuition costs for low-income students amid shrinking state funding.
- Hokies give Beamer 1 more win over Virginia, 23-20 Updated: Nov-28-15 6:24 pm
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Virginia - Frank Beamer and his coaching staff aren't going anywhere for a few more weeks.
- Mistakes doom Virginia in 23-20 loss to Virginia Tech Updated: Nov-28-15 6:21 pm
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Virginia - Mike London sat down, sighed heavily, and began his postgame press conference as he has begun so many others in a six-year career at Virginia: "That's a tough way to lose a football game," he said Saturday.
- New pilot program aims to help dementia patients in Virginia Updated: Nov-28-15 4:28 pm
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Virginia - The University of Virginia and a local aging services group are teaming up to lead a pilot program to help dementia patients that officials hope will become a model for communities across the state.
- Brogdon scores 23 as No. 12 Virginia beats Lehigh 80-54 Updated: Nov-25-15 10:40 pm
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Virginia - Virginia coach Tony Bennett called Wednesday's visit by Lehigh "a game of cementing some habits," and after the Cavaliers got off to a slow start, Malcolm Brogdon and their defense took over.
- Charlottesville police chief announces retirement Updated: Nov-23-15 11:26 am
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Virginia - Charlottesville Police Chief Timothy J. Longo has announced his retirement.
- Duke rally falls short in 42-34 loss to Virginia Updated: Nov-21-15 9:03 pm
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Virginia - Duke coach David Cutcliffe has never been afraid to mix and match his quarterbacks to see what works, using both Anthony Boone and Thomas Sirk as goal-line specialists in recent years. So it was no surprise when Cutcliffe went to backup Parker Boehme with the Blue Devils mired in a three-game losing streak.
- Johns' career day helps Virginia beat Duke 42-34 Updated: Nov-21-15 8:50 pm
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Virginia - For one day, the coaching questions and uncertain future didn't matter for Virginia. Neither did the Cavaliers' recent run of poor form against Duke, nor their recent elimination from bowl consideration. For one day, everything was good.
- Incoming dean of U.Va. School of Law is 1st woman at helm Updated: Nov-21-15 1:20 pm
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Virginia - A legal historian specializing in civil rights has been selected as the 12th dean and the first woman to lead the School of Law at the University of Virginia.
- Virginia vigil held for missing transgender woman Updated: Nov-21-15 11:36 am
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Virginia - Dozens gathered in a Charlottesville park Friday night in hopes of heightening awareness of a transgender woman who has been missing for three years.
- Funding available to help increase for forestry practices Updated: Nov-19-15 3:31 am
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Virginia - The USDA's Natural Resources Conservation Services is making a $470,000 fund available to help increase adoption of forestry practices across the state.
- No. 6 Virginia beats Morgan State 86-48 in opener Updated: Nov-13-15 10:25 pm
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Virginia - Tony Bennett and his Virginia players have their eyes on a deep NCAA run behind fifth-year stars Malcolm Brogdon and Anthony Gill. The Cavaliers' opener brought encouraging signs from a player Bennett is counting on to support those two.
- Toscano stepping down as Virginia House minority leader Updated: Nov-13-15 2:46 pm
RICHMOND, Virginia - Democratic Virginia House Minority Leader Del. David J. Toscano has announced that he will step down from the position.
- Virginia announces signings of 4 to national letters Updated: Nov-12-15 7:23 pm
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Virginia - Virginia coach Tony Bennett has announced the signings of four players to national letters-of-intent for the 2016-17 season.
- Virginia Film Festival breaks box office, revenue records Updated: Nov-11-15 1:18 pm
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Virginia - The Virginia Film Festival says this year's event broke box office and revenue records.
- Louisville 1 win away from bowl eligibility after 0-3 start Updated: Nov-09-15 5:24 pm
LOUISVILLE, Kentucky - A bowl bid was the farthest thing from the minds of Louisville players during an 0-3 start that had the Cardinals wondering if they'd win a game.
- Fraternity files $25M defamation suit against Rolling Stone Updated: Nov-09-15 4:52 pm
RICHMOND, Virginia - The fraternity that was the focus of a debunked Rolling Stone article about a gang rape filed a $25 million lawsuit against the magazine Monday, saying the piece made the frat and its members "the object of an avalanche of condemnation worldwide."
- East Coast cities jockey for Deschutes Brewery facility Updated: Nov-05-15 12:28 pm
BEND, Oregon - News that Deschutes Brewery executives came courting in Roanoke, Virginia, this fall sparked a Facebook campaign aimed at sending much love to the Bend-based brewer, the nation's seventh-largest craft brewer and the 12th largest overall.
- 2015 Virginia Film Festival to kick off in Charlottesville Updated: Nov-05-15 2:16 am
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Virginia - Actress Meg Ryan and Academy-Award winning director Oliver Stone are the top guests at this year's Virginia Film Festival.
- Virginia selling properties acquired for dropped bypass Updated: Nov-01-15 12:56 pm
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Virginia - The Virginia Department of Transportation is selling properties it acquired for a bypass project that has been dropped.