- Dr. Beach gives extra credit for no smoking beaches in 2016 Updated: Sep-04-15 8:56 am
MIAMI - After 25 years of ranking beaches, the professor known as "Dr. Beach" is starting his list of best beaches over from scratch in 2016. And he'll be giving extra credit to beaches that ban smoking.
- Officials say Kauai still in drought despite recent rains Updated: Sep-04-15 8:05 am
LIHUE, Hawaii - Kauai is still under drought conditions, despite greener pastures and recent rainfall connected to Tropical Storm Ignacio.
- Department of Transportation sues IT firm over contract Updated: Sep-04-15 7:54 am
HONOLULU - The Hawaii Department of Transportation has filed a lawsuit seeking tens of millions of dollars in damages from an information technology consulting company that was overseeing a new computer system for the state Highways Division that never worked.
- Max Wittek leads Hawaii over Colorado 28-20 Updated: Sep-04-15 7:00 am
HONOLULU - Max Wittek delivered in his debut for Hawaii.
- US submarine force in the Pacific gets new commander Updated: Sep-03-15 8:04 pm
PEARL HARBOR, Hawaii - The U.S. Navy on Thursday installed a new commander to lead its submarine force in the Pacific at a time when growing Chinese operations in places like the South China Sea are boosting U.S. demand for the eavesdropping capabilities of the underwater vessels.
- Honolulu City Council overrides mayor's veto of sit-lie ban Updated: Sep-03-15 8:34 am
HONOLULU - Honolulu is expanding its ban on sitting and lying down in public to more pedestrian malls, despite Mayor Kirk Caldwell's veto.
- Oahu teacher treated for heat exhaustion from hot classroom Updated: Sep-03-15 7:31 am
HONOLULU - An Oahu elementary school teacher has been treated for dehydration and heat exhaustion which she says was caused by her hot classroom.
- US officials mark 70th anniversary of WWII's official end Updated: Sep-03-15 4:07 am
PEARL HARBOR, Hawaii - U.S. officials and veterans gathered on a decommissioned battleship in Pearl Harbor on Wednesday to mark the 70th anniversary of World War II's end.
- Honolulu offers free Hawaiian language, hula, crafts classes Updated: Sep-02-15 4:25 pm
HONOLULU - The City and County of Honolulu is offering free Hawaiian language, hula and crafts classes in Waikiki.
- California man could face life in prison for meth possession Updated: Sep-02-15 3:41 pm
LIHUE, Hawaii - A California man could spend life in prison for bringing a large amount of methamphetamine to Hawaii.
- State audit finds Hawaii Health Connector wasted $11 million Updated: Sep-02-15 7:40 am
HONOLULU - The Hawaii Health Connector is being criticized for the second time by the state auditor for wasting taxpayer dollars.
- Crews warn Honolulu homeless encampment about upcoming sweep Updated: Sep-01-15 10:11 pm
HONOLULU - Residents of a Honolulu homeless encampment that had grown to about 300 people have been warned that city crews are planning to clear part of the area.
- UH football ticket sales at record low as kickoff nears Updated: Sep-01-15 8:23 am
HONOLULU - As the University of Hawaii football team prepares for its first game of the season Thursday against Colorado, ticket sales are at a record low.
- Suspected killer arrested on Oahu to be extradited Updated: Sep-01-15 7:28 am
HONOLULU - A 19-year-old man arrested on an out-of-state warrant has agreed to return to Tennessee.
- Big surf pounds Hawaii as hurricane skirts to the north Updated: Sep-01-15 3:40 am
HILO, Hawaii - Big surf began to pick up around Hilo on Hawaii's Big Island Monday evening as weakening Hurricane Ignacio moved to the north of the state with 100 mph winds.
- NextEra defends plans, commits to Hawaii energy goals Updated: Aug-31-15 11:31 pm
HONOLULU - Florida-based company NextEra Energy is defending its plans to acquire Hawaiian Electric, saying that it is committed to Hawaii's renewable energy goals.
- Kauai lawmaker pleads no contest in campaign finance case Updated: Aug-31-15 8:49 pm
HONOLULU - State Rep. James Tokioka is pleading no contest to filing an incomplete and inaccurate campaign committee report.
- 3 Maui police officers recognized for saving woman from fire Updated: Aug-31-15 7:41 am
WAILUKU, Hawaii - The Maui Police Department has awarded three officers Silver Medals of Valor for their part in pulling a woman from her burning home in May.
- No little fire ants found in Honolulu after treatment Updated: Aug-31-15 7:40 am
HONOLULU - The Department of Agriculture appears to have won the battle against one of the world's most invasive species in some Honolulu neighborhoods.
- Kauai utility will test "fence" of light to protect seabirds Updated: Aug-30-15 3:10 pm
HONOLULU - The Kauai Island Utility Cooperative is testing a visual "fence" of light to help protect endangered seabirds.
- Sailor shot overseas is keen to redeploy Updated: Aug-30-15 8:08 am
HONOLULU - Navy Senior Chief Raina Hockenberry was a couple of paces behind Army Maj. Gen. Harold Greene on a visit to an Afghan military academy near Kabul when the bullets started to fly.
- Makena property quietly sells for $41 million Updated: Aug-30-15 8:07 am
WAILUKU, Hawaii - Until recently, the record-setting, nearly $41.8 million sale of a 4.23-acre residential property in Makena has been hush-hush, supposedly shrouded in secrecy and tied up in binding confidentiality agreements.
- Diving researchers find sunken military vessel Updated: Aug-29-15 2:37 pm
JOINT BASE PEARL HARBOR-HICKAM, Hawaii - Researchers made a surprising find when diving in the waters off Hawaii: a large US naval tanker that had been sitting unseen in 80 feet of water for nearly 60 years.
- Reviving history: Papaaloa store reopens Updated: Aug-29-15 8:08 am
HILO, Hawaii - Heading into Papaaloa from Hilo on Route 19, the only hint that there is anything new at Mile 24 is a discreet sign set low to the ground, featuring an orange-toned drawing of a building, and indicating the driver should take the next right turn.
- Keeping the lights burning on Onihi Lane Updated: Aug-29-15 8:08 am
LIHUE, Hawaii - Gwen Carveiro said Lawrence was already talking about his plans for this year.