- Vermont woman pleads not guilty to killing 2 cousins, aunt Updated: Aug-25-15 4:37 pm
BARRE, Vermont - A Vermont woman accused of killing a state social worker and three relatives because she was upset about losing custody of her 9-year-old daughter pleaded not guilty Tuesday in the deaths of her relatives.
- Opiates seen behind boom in need for children's services Updated: Aug-24-15 2:14 pm
MONTPELIER, Vermont - Vermont's defender general says juvenile court dockets are "out of control," choked with cases filed by the state to take children away from their opiate-addicted parents. Vermont's chief administrative judge says "if this is the new norm, we're in trouble."
- Vermont releases statewide assessment test results Updated: Aug-24-15 12:01 pm
BARRE, Vermont - Vermont education officials are releasing the results of the first statewide assessment tests aligned with the Common Core standards.
- Prosecutor, witness in social worker death, copes with guilt Updated: Aug-23-15 4:22 pm
BARRE, Vermont - The prosecutor is drawn time and again to the parking lot where flowers and candles now mark where he tried to save a social worker's life. Going back, he says, helps him cope with the guilt he feels because he lived and she didn't.
- Education officials approve proposed school district merger Updated: Aug-19-15 3:22 am
BARRE, Vermont - The Vermont Board of Education has approved plans for the first school governance merger.
- New deputy secretary of education appointed Updated: Aug-13-15 11:14 am
BARRE, Vermont - Vermont has a new deputy secretary of education.
- Man seen with gun at Vermont gas station taken into custody Updated: Aug-12-15 8:55 pm
SOUTH BARRE, Vermont - A man seen with a gun at a Vermont gas station in South Barre has been taken into custody by police.
- Mechanic charged with manslaughter Updated: Aug-11-15 5:39 pm
BARRE, Vermont - Authorities say a Barre mechanic has been charged with manslaughter and reckless endangerment for passing a state inspection for a defective vehicle that later crashed, killing a woman.
- The Latest: More charges could take time, attorney says Updated: Aug-10-15 4:38 pm
BARRE, Vermont - The latest in the case of a Vermont woman who police say fatally shot a social worker because she was upset about losing custody of her 9-year-old daughter. Police believe she also killed two cousins and an aunt (all times local):
- Officials: Mom who lost custody kills kids' services worker Updated: Aug-07-15 11:06 pm
BARRE, Vermont - A woman who was upset about losing custody of her daughter used a hunting rifle to fatally shoot a child-welfare agency worker who had handled her case, authorities said.
- Rental property owners can get flooding help Updated: Aug-04-15 2:19 pm
MONTPELIER, Vermont - Owners of rental properties in Barre, Plainfield and surrounding areas damaged by flooding in July can get help from a loan program.