- Germany, France see ghosts of WWI in Ukraine Updated: Apr-14-14 8:08 am
- Cost of fighting warming 'modest,' says UN panel Updated: Apr-13-14 5:46 pm
- UN climate report balances science and politics Updated: Apr-12-14 9:35 am
- Artificial cooling tricky topic for climate panel Updated: Apr-10-14 11:01 am
- Suu Kyi, Germany's Merkel discuss Myanmar's future Updated: Apr-10-14 9:29 am
- German prosecutors release collector's art Updated: Apr-09-14 8:25 am
- Germany salvages companies' power discounts Updated: Apr-08-14 2:07 pm
- UN climate panel chair calls for 'enlightenment' Updated: Apr-07-14 2:52 pm
- Tragic past, rebirth in Berlin's Jewish community Updated: Apr-07-14 12:17 pm
- New French finance minister coy on deficit hopes Updated: Apr-07-14 7:35 am
- Married couples separated by German language test Updated: Apr-06-14 5:08 am
- Climate meeting to discuss future of fossil fuels Updated: Apr-05-14 5:22 am
- Acclaimed photographer Anja Niedringhaus dies Updated: Apr-04-14 7:05 pm
- Absent Ai Weiwei stages major show in Berlin Updated: Apr-02-14 11:13 am
- Lesbian-only cemetery being inaugurated in Berlin Updated: Apr-01-14 10:37 am
- Germany returns looted Guardi painting to Poland Updated: Mar-31-14 3:41 pm
- Germany arrests 3 over hard-line Syria group ties Updated: Mar-31-14 7:13 am
- China's Xi presides over business deals in Germany Updated: Mar-28-14 2:28 pm
- Ukraine spotlights Germany's nuclear power switch Updated: Mar-27-14 1:33 pm
- Obama honors American WWI dead at Flanders Field Updated: Mar-25-14 1:09 pm
- Report: Etihad to raise stake in Air Berlin Updated: Mar-22-14 7:26 am
- Disputed art to remain at Berlin museum Updated: Mar-20-14 9:13 am
- Tymoshenko leaves Berlin hospital; heading home Updated: Mar-19-14 9:31 am
- German FM hopeful on Ukraine observer mission Updated: Mar-19-14 9:11 am
- Merkel backs Italy's new PM on economic reforms Updated: Mar-17-14 3:02 pm
BERLIN - Senior French and German officials have warned that the surge in nationalism fueling the crisis in Ukraine echoes the ideas that gripped Europe a century ago and led to World War I.
BERLIN - The cost of keeping global warming in check is "relatively modest," but only if the world acts quickly to reverse the buildup of heat-trapping gases in the atmosphere, the head of the U.N.'s expert panel on climate change said Sunday.
BERLIN - After racing against the clock in an all-night session, the U.N.'s expert panel on climate change was putting the final touches Saturday on a scientific guide to help governments, industries and regular people take action to stop global warming from reaching dangerous levels.
BERLIN - It's Plan B in the fight against climate change: cooling the planet by sucking heat-trapping CO2 from the air or reflecting sunlight back into space.
BERLIN - German prosecutors on Wednesday released more than 1,000 artworks found at the Munich apartment of a reclusive collector, days after he agreed to cooperate with authorities in determining which pieces were seized by the Nazis. However, works whose Nazi-era history is still being probed will remain in custody.
BERLIN - Germany said Tuesday that it will reduce the number of companies allowed to receive discounts on their electricity bills as part of an effort to satisfy European Union concerns.
BERLIN - The head of the United Nations scientific panel on climate change urged diplomats and scientists to show "enlightenment" Monday, as they began a weeklong meeting aimed at spelling out in plain terms what options the world has if it wants to prevent catastrophic global warming.
The epicenter of the Holocaust, the city where Hitler signed the death warrants of 6 million Jews, seems an unlikely candidate for the world's fastest growing Jewish community.
BERLIN - France's new finance minister has stressed the need to strike a balance between stronger economic growth and fulfilling Paris' deficit-cutting commitments.
BERLIN - Michael Guhle met the love of his life on the beach of a little fishing village in Vietnam. Thi An Nguyen was selling freshly cooked mussels and fruit to the German tourist and they immediately clicked. Soon the Berlin nursing home worker was saving up all of his money and vacation days to visit Nguyen.
BERLIN - After concluding that global warming almost certainly is man-made and poses a grave threat to humanity, the U.N.-sponsored expert panel on climate change is moving on to the next phase: what to do about it.
Anja Niedringhaus faced down some of the world's greatest dangers and had one of the world's loudest and most infectious laughs. She photographed dying and death, and embraced humanity and life. She gave herself to the subjects of her lens, and gave her talents to the world, with images of wars' unwitting victims in Afghanistan, Iraq, Bosnia and beyond.
BERLIN - A prison cell, a pair of jade handcuffs and an installation built with rubble from a demolished studio: Dissident artist Ai Weiwei is drawing heavily on his troubles with the Chinese authorities at a spectacular new show in Berlin.
BERLIN - A new burial area for lesbians only is being inaugurated this weekend in a two-century-old cemetery in the German capital.
BERLIN - An 18th-century painting looted by the Nazis for Adolf Hitler's 'Fuehrer Museum' was handed back to Poland on Monday, a move Germany hopes will revive thorny talks over a vast trove of historical documents that Berlin wants to recover from Poland.
BERLIN - German authorities arrested three people in raids Monday against suspected supporters of a hard-line Islamic group in Syria, a move meant to curb the possible risks posed by extremists returning from Syria's civil war.
BERLIN - Chinese President Xi Jinping presided over the signing of a string of deals with automakers and others as he started a visit to Germany on Friday, while Chancellor Angela Merkel prodded him on the importance of free speech.
BERLIN - The crisis in Ukraine has added an extra dose of uncertainty to German Chancellor Angela Merkel's biggest domestic project: shifting the country from nuclear to renewable energy sources.
WAREGEM, Belgium - Pvt. Wesley Creech could no longer hide the darkness of his thoughts as he longed for his wife Carzetta and 5-month-old daughter Marie: "If I never see you and Marie any more in this life I hope to meet you in a Better Place," he wrote in a letter on Aug. 24, 1918 - as the American army moved fast to repel the Germans on the Western Front during World War I.
BERLIN - German weekly WirtschaftsWoche reports that Etihad plans to increase its stake in Air Berlin to 49.9 percent.
BERLIN - A medieval treasure trove at the center of a long-running ownership dispute should stay with a Berlin museum and not be given to the heirs of Nazi-era Jewish art dealers, a panel set up by the German government said Thursday.
BERLIN - A Berlin hospital that has been treating Yulia Tymoshenko says the former Ukrainian prime minister has been released from their care and plans to return to Kiev.
BERLIN - Germany's foreign minister says he's confident Western nations and Russia have resolved a key stumbling block to the deployment of international observers in Ukraine.
BERLIN - German Chancellor Angela Merkel says she is "thoroughly impressed" by new Italian Premier Matteo Renzi's plans for economic reform.