- Unknown assailants attack German politician's Leipzig home Updated: Nov-24-15 10:16 am
BERLIN - German police say one or more assailants threw rocks through the apartment windows of Saxony's justice minister, and then threw stink bombs into the home.
- Merkel: 10 years in office and no signs of stopping Updated: Nov-21-15 7:21 am
BERLIN - Angela Merkel marks her 10th anniversary at the helm of Germany on Sunday, becoming only the third post-World War II chancellor to hit that milestone. Over Merkel's decade in charge, she has presided over Germany's strong re-emergence on the world scene - showing leadership in the European financial crisis, pioneering the use of renewable energies and embracing a role as a key negotiator in the Ukraine conflict and a moral authority in Europe's migrant crisis.
- Germany charges 2 with supporting a terrorist organization Updated: Nov-19-15 11:35 am
BERLIN - German federal prosecutors say they have charged two Turkish men with supporting a foreign terrorist organization for allegedly sending money and equipment to a group fighting in Syria.
- Messaging app block IS-propaganda channels Updated: Nov-18-15 6:34 pm
BERLIN - The creators of a popular messaging app called Telegram say they are acting to stop the Islamic State group from distributing propaganda to a wide audience through the service.
- Bundesliga ponders security after Hannover attack threat Updated: Nov-18-15 10:26 am
FRANKFURT, Germany - This weekend's Bundesliga matches will go on as scheduled despite security worries following the threat of an attack that forced authorities to call of the friendly between Germany and the Netherlands.
- Germany cancel Netherlands match after 'serious bomb threat' Updated: Nov-17-15 6:58 pm
HANNOVER, Germany - The friendly soccer game between Germany and the Netherlands was canceled 90 minutes before kickoff on Tuesday due to the suspected threat of a bomb at the stadium.
- Guo Jie, oldest surviving Olympian, dies at 103 Updated: Nov-16-15 9:57 pm
BEIJING - Guo Jie, a former Chinese discus thrower who was the world's oldest surviving Olympian, has died. He was 103.
- Former German spy goes on trial on treason charges Updated: Nov-16-15 1:26 pm
BERLIN - A 32-year-old former German spy has admitted providing classified information to the CIA, saying he acted out of boredom and frustration, the dpa news agency reported Monday.
- Paris attacks provoke fresh migrant fears in Europe Updated: Nov-15-15 12:39 am
BERLIN - The news that one of the assailants in the Paris attacks may have crossed into Europe with refugees fleeing Syria is raising the fierce debate over Europe's immigration policy to a new pitch.
- Germany's Merkel grapples with strife at home over migrants Updated: Nov-13-15 4:51 pm
BERLIN - German Chancellor Angela Merkel has been looking unusually vulnerable as she prepares to meet the world's top leaders this week, struggling to slow a huge influx of migrants amid mounting demands to do just that.
- Microsoft to keep German customers' cloud data in country Updated: Nov-12-15 12:39 am
BERLIN - Microsoft may soon be one of the first U.S. cloud-computing companies to let Europeans store their online data closer to home, a response to fears that U.S. data centers are more vulnerable to snooping by the U.S. government.
- Report: Germany spied on FBI, US companies, French minister Updated: Nov-11-15 11:08 am
BERLIN - German public radio station rbb-Inforadio reported Wednesday that the country's foreign intelligence agency spied on the FBI and U.S. arms companies, adding to a growing list of targets among friendly nations the agency allegedly eavesdropped on.
- Syria's swimming sisters find new home in German waters Updated: Nov-10-15 2:23 am
BERLIN - Sarah and Ysra Mardini pull bathing caps over their long, black hair and slide into the water, disappearing among the throng of swimmers with powerful, practiced strokes.
- Idris Elba to open for Madonna in Berlin Updated: Nov-09-15 6:57 pm
LOS ANGELES - Idris Elba is co-starring with Madonna on stage - not screen.
- Britain: All of Europe will benefit from EU reforms Updated: Nov-03-15 9:24 am
BERLIN - Britain's finance minister argued Tuesday for reforms to the European Union that would help keep his country in the bloc and that he insisted would benefit all members, including more open markets and less regulation.
- East German who announced Berlin Wall opening dies at 86 Updated: Nov-01-15 10:52 am
BERLIN - Guenter Schabowski, the senior East German official whose cryptic announcement that the communist country was opening its fortified border precipitated the fall of the Berlin Wall in 1989, died Sunday at 86.
- Police: Suspected killer of migrant boy admits 2nd slaying Updated: Oct-30-15 10:08 am
BERLIN - A German man arrested in the slaying of a 4-year-old migrant boy from Bosnia has confessed to killing another child, prosecutors said Friday.
- Germany in talks with China on bringing pandas to Berlin Updated: Oct-29-15 10:38 am
BERLIN - Chancellor Angela Merkel says Germany has opened talks with China aimed at bringing two giant pandas to Berlin's zoo.
- Berlin memorial to Nazis' Gypsy victims vandalized Updated: Oct-29-15 7:48 am
BERLIN - Authorities say that a large swastika and the word "vergasen," or "to gas," were found daubed at Germany's memorial to the hundreds of thousands of Gypsies, or Roma, who were killed by the Nazis.
- Iranian man arrested in Germany on spying charges Updated: Oct-28-15 12:01 pm
BERLIN - German authorities say they have arrested a 31-year-old Iranian man on suspicion he was spying for Tehran on an opposition group.
- Germany: Afghan influx unacceptable, many will have to leave Updated: Oct-28-15 8:09 am
BERLIN - Germany's top security official complained Wednesday of an "unacceptable" influx of Afghans from relatively safe areas of their country, and warned that many of them will have to return home.
- German condom maker hits legal trouble over packaging claim Updated: Oct-27-15 11:28 am
BERLIN - A German condom manufacturer has run into legal trouble with a claim that a packet of seven of its products "corresponds to up to 21 orgasms."