- Vatican gets mixed report card on finance reforms Updated: Dec-12-13 8:19 am
- Pope prays in Rome's posh shopping district Updated: Dec-08-13 12:56 pm
- Correction: Vatican-Legion of Christ story Updated: Dec-06-13 8:59 am
- Pope forms commission to advise on sex abuse Updated: Dec-05-13 1:34 pm
- Religion news in brief Updated: Dec-04-13 12:12 pm
- Pope prays for 12 nuns abducted in Syria by rebels Updated: Dec-04-13 6:41 am
- Pope gets boost for reform from unlikely source Updated: Dec-03-13 2:02 pm
- Netanyahu gives pope book by father on Inquisition Updated: Dec-02-13 11:52 am
- Troubled Vatican bank names consultant as manager Updated: Nov-30-13 9:07 am
- Pope ramps up charity office to be near poor, sick Updated: Nov-28-13 2:07 pm
- Pope wants closer look at Vatican's finance reform Updated: Nov-28-13 11:40 am
- Pope bundles up for chilly outdoor audience Updated: Nov-27-13 5:19 am
- Pope issues mission statement for papacy Updated: Nov-26-13 4:15 pm
- Putin meets pope and Berlusconi in Italy Updated: Nov-25-13 5:53 pm
- Vatican unveils bone fragments said to be Peter's Updated: Nov-24-13 6:38 am
- Pope warns Olympic leaders over commercialization Updated: Nov-23-13 10:02 am
- Pope meets FIFA chief, Italy-Argentine rugby teams Updated: Nov-22-13 9:23 am
- Pope offers words of comfort on Philippine typhoon Updated: Nov-21-13 1:47 pm
- Public exhibit of St. Peter relics revives debate Updated: Nov-18-13 12:25 pm
- Pope jokes he's a pharmacist, prescribing prayers Updated: Nov-17-13 9:10 am
- Pope out with cold, cancels morning audiences Updated: Nov-15-13 11:17 am
- Vatican to put St. Peter relics on display Updated: Nov-13-13 3:35 pm
- Pope-Russian Orthodox talks precede Putin visit Updated: Nov-12-13 8:14 am
VATICAN CITY - European inspectors gave the Vatican a mixed report card Thursday in its efforts to comply with international norms to fight money laundering and terror financing: While they praised the speedy overhaul of its legal code, they said the jury is still out about how those new laws are being implemented.
ROME - Pope Francis, in the heart of Rome's fanciest shopping district, prayed on Sunday that the poor are never forgotten.
VATICAN CITY - In a story Dec. 5 about the wedding of a former Legion of Christ priest, The Associated Press reported erroneously that the Legion said less than 4 percent of Legion priests had been abused. Less than 4 percent have been accused of sexual abuse, according to the Legion.
VATICAN CITY - Pope Francis has responded to complaints that he has largely ignored the clerical sex abuse scandal by assembling a panel of experts to advise the Holy See on protecting children from pedophiles and helping abuse victims heal.
Christmas tree is lit outside U.S. Capitol amid hymns
VATICAN CITY - Pope Francis called Wednesday for prayers for 12 Orthodox nuns who were taken by force from their convent in Syria by opposition fighters. Religious officials in the region have said the women were being held against their will, but a Syrian opposition activist said they were merely taken away for their own safety.
VATICAN CITY - Pope Francis' efforts to reform the Machiavellian Vatican bureaucracy have gotten a vote of confidence from an unlikely source.
VATICAN CITY - Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu on Monday gave Pope Francis a book about the Inquisition in Spain written by his late father, an expert on the Catholic Church's forced conversion and expulsion of Jews in the 15th century.
VATICAN CITY - The troubled Vatican bank announced its new top manager Saturday, promoting an outside consultant who had stepped in when the bank's top two managers resigned amid scandal last summer.
VATICAN CITY - When he was archbishop of Buenos Aires, Pope Francis was known to sneak out at night and break bread with the homeless, sit with them literally on the street and eat with them, as part of his aim to share the plight of the poor and let them know someone cared.
VATICAN CITY - Pope Francis on Thursday named his top assistant to look into the work of two commissions of inquiry he set up last summer to investigate the finances of the troubled Vatican bank and Holy See administration.
VATICAN CITY - A chilly Pope Francis has cheered the thousands of pilgrims who braved a cold snap belting Italy to attend his weekly general audience, saying they were courageous to come out.
VATICAN CITY - Pope Francis denounced the global financial system that excludes the poor as he issued the mission statement for his papacy on Tuesday, saying he wants the Catholic Church to get its hands dirty as it seeks to bring solace and mercy to society's outcasts.
VATICAN CITY - Russian President Vladimir Putin had a busy first day in Rome on Monday, going from the pope to a "Pussy Riot" protest to dinner at the palazzo of his old friend, Silvio Berlusconi.
VATICAN CITY - The Vatican publicly unveiled a handful of bone fragments purportedly belonging to St. Peter on Sunday, reviving the scientific debate and tantalizing mystery over whether the relics found in a shoe box truly belong to the first pope.
VATICAN CITY - Pope Francis has met a large delegation of Olympic leaders, and used the occasion to issue a warning over the commercialization of athletes.
VATICAN CITY - Pope Francis met Friday with the head of FIFA and members of the Italian and Argentine national rugby teams.
VATICAN CITY - Pope Francis has offered words of comfort to Filipinos about the deadly typhoon that devastated the island nation.
VATICAN CITY - The Vatican's decision to publicly exhibit the purported relics of the Apostle Peter for the first time has spotlighted the intense scientific debate over whether the bones actually belong to the first pope.
VATICAN CITY - Joking that he's like a pharmacist, Pope Francis is promoting prayer as medicine for the heart.
VATICAN CITY - Pope Francis canceled his morning audiences Friday because of a cold, the first time the industrious pope is known to have slowed his busy schedule due to illness.
VATICAN CITY - The Vatican says that relics believed to be those of St. Peter, the first pope, will be put on public display in a ceremony later this month.