- John Paul's legacy stained by sex abuse scandal Updated: Apr-21-14 2:28 am
- Pope Francis, huge crowd joyously celebrate Easter Updated: Apr-20-14 10:55 am
- Replica of 'Pieta' sculpture draws Easter visitors Updated: Apr-19-14 7:19 pm
- Pope seeks to bring faith to "ends of the Earth" Updated: Apr-19-14 4:56 pm
- Pope gives a lift to 2 kids in St. Peter's Square Updated: Apr-16-14 6:43 am
- Vatican responds to next round of UN abuse inquiry Updated: Apr-15-14 9:28 am
- Pope poses for 'selfies' after Palm Sunday homily Updated: Apr-13-14 11:11 am
- Pope assumes responsibility for priest sex abuse Updated: Apr-11-14 2:20 pm
- Pope meets ex-sex slaves, denounces trafficking Updated: Apr-10-14 10:58 am
- Pope blesses cross made from migrant boats Updated: Apr-09-14 12:54 pm
- Pope denounces slaying of Dutch Jesuit in Syria Updated: Apr-09-14 6:40 am
- Vatican ex-sex crimes prosecutor heads to Scotland Updated: Apr-07-14 3:28 pm
- Pope, Jordan's king have tea ahead of Mideast trip Updated: Apr-07-14 12:55 pm
- Vatican bank gets pope's blessing to keep going Updated: Apr-07-14 12:19 pm
- Pope presses anti-AIDS chastity strategy in Africa Updated: Apr-07-14 11:40 am
- Pope treats faithful to copies of the Gospels Updated: Apr-06-14 8:28 am
- Pope says he's happy to have a job Updated: Apr-05-14 1:34 pm
- Queen gives honey to pope, who has gift for George Updated: Apr-03-14 3:08 pm
- Francis recalls John Paul II's death 9 years ago Updated: Apr-02-14 5:32 pm
- No-frills canonization for Popes JPII, John XXIII Updated: Mar-31-14 9:22 am
- Suspected fraud plot foiled at Vatican bank Updated: Mar-30-14 8:16 am
- Vatican says it's willing, wants to help Venezuela Updated: Mar-28-14 4:48 pm
- Pope confesses his sins in Vatican basilica Updated: Mar-28-14 1:54 pm
- Obama, Francis find common ground - and divisions Updated: Mar-27-14 6:36 pm
- WHITE HOUSE NOTEBOOK: Obama meets Your Holiness Updated: Mar-27-14 5:16 pm
VATICAN CITY - Pope John Paul II is rightly credited with having helped bring down communism, of inspiring a new generation of Catholics with a globe-trotting papacy and of explaining church teaching on a range of hot-button issues as Christianity entered its third millennium.
VATICAN CITY - Marking Christianity's most hopeful day, Pope Francis made an Easter Sunday plea for peace and dialogue in Ukraine and Syria, for an end to terrorist attacks against Christians in Nigeria and for more attention to the hungry and neediest close to home.
PHOENIX - The spirit of Michelangelo's "Pieta" sculpture is being felt this Easter weekend thousands of miles away from Vatican City - outside a Phoenix charity's dining hall.
VATICAN CITY - Pope Francis baptized 10 people Saturday and urged them to bring their faith "to the ends of the Earth" as he presided over an Easter Vigil in St. Peter's Basilica.
VATICAN CITY - Pope Francis has given a lift to two lucky kids during his general audience in St. Peter's Square.
VATICAN CITY - The Vatican has responded to the latest round of U.N. sex abuse inquiries by suggesting it is only responsible for implementing a U.N. treaty against torture within the confines of the tiny Vatican City State.
VATICAN CITY - Pope Francis, marking Palm Sunday in a packed St. Peter's Square, ignored his prepared homily and spoke entirely off-the-cuff in a remarkable departure from practice. Later, he continued to stray from the script by hopping off his popemobile to pose for "selfies" with young people and also sipping tea passed to him from the crowd.
VATICAN CITY - Pope Francis said Friday he took personal responsibility for the "evil" of priests who raped and molested children, asking forgiveness from victims and saying the church must be even bolder in its efforts to protect the young. It was the first time a pope has taken personal responsibility for the sex crimes of his priests and begged forgiveness.
VATICAN CITY - Pope Francis denounced human trafficking as a crime against humanity Thursday after meeting with four women who were trafficked and forced into prostitution.
VATICAN CITY - Pope Francis has blessed a wooden cross made from the boats of migrants who have come ashore at the tiny Italian island of Lampedusa.
VATICAN CITY - Pope Francis has denounced the "brutal slaying" of an elderly Jesuit priest in Syria and called for an end to the violence.
VATICAN CITY - The Vatican is sending its former sex crimes prosecutor to Scotland this week to investigate "recent serious allegations of misconduct" surrounding disgraced Scottish Cardinal Keith O'Brien, who resigned last year after admitting to sexual misdeeds.
VATICAN CITY - Pope Francis gave his backing Monday to the scandal-tainted Vatican Bank to carry on provided it presses ahead with efforts to bring its banking practices up to international standards.
VATICAN CITY - Pope Francis has praised church workers in Africa who promote chastity as a key way to prevent the spread of HIV.
VATICAN CITY - Tens of thousands of faithful in St. Peter's Square have been treated to gifts from Pope Francis - pocket-sized copies of the Gospels which he hopes they'll keep handy and read daily.
VATICAN CITY - Pope Francis says he's happy because he has a job and the "inner peace" that comes with age.
VATICAN CITY - Queen Elizabeth II - bearing a basket of honey, whiskey and other goodies from the royal estates - paid a visit to Pope Francis at the Vatican on Thursday. The pontiff returned the courtesy with a gift for Prince George, Elizabeth's great-grandson.
VATICAN CITY - Pope Francis on Wednesday hailed Pope John Paul II's legacy as he marked the ninth anniversary of the Polish-born pontiff's death.
VATICAN CITY - The low-frills style of Pope Francis is having an effect on the upcoming canonizations of Popes John Paul II and John XXIII.
ROME - Two men toting a briefcase stuffed with false bond certificates purportedly worth trillions of euros (dollars) tried to bluff their way into the exclusive Vatican bank in a foiled fraud plot, Italian police said Sunday.
VATICAN CITY - The Vatican said Friday it was "willing and desirous" to intervene diplomatically in Venezuela's crisis after weeks of deadly unrest but says it must study expectations and options about what role it could play.
VATICAN CITY - Pope Francis has kneeled before a priest and confessed his sins in a St. Peter's Basilica ceremony he hopes will inspire others to seek forgiveness.
VATICAN CITY - Face to face for the first time, President Barack Obama and Pope Francis focused publicly on their mutual respect and shared concern for the poor on Thursday. But their lengthy private discussion also highlighted the deep differences between the White House and the Catholic Church on abortion and birth control.
VATICAN CITY - The exchange of gifts is a de rigueur part of every papal audience but Thursday's presentation had an unusually loud element to it. A metal support holding up the top of President Barack Obama's gift - a chest of seeds from the White House garden - twice crashed onto the marble floor of the pope's library as reporters and photographers rushed to get into position to record the moment for posterity.