- Back to Beijing for 2nd Olympics in 14 years Updated: Jul-31-15 10:13 am
KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia - Throughout more than 120 years of Olympic history, no city has hosted both the winter and summer games. Now, Beijing will be the first do it - and in the span of just 14 years.
- Muted reaction in Almaty as Kazakh city's Olympic bid fails Updated: Jul-31-15 8:30 am
ALMATY, Kazakhstan - Within minutes of the announcement that Almaty's bid to host the 2022 Winter Olympics had failed, it was almost as if it had never happened.
- Chinese vice premier, Kazakh prime minister head delegations Updated: Jul-31-15 12:00 am
KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia - Kazakhstan Prime Minister Karim Massimov will head the Almaty delegation and Chinese Vice Premier Liu Yandong will lead the Beijing team in the final presentations to the IOC ahead of the vote for the 2022 Winter Olympics.
- Star athletes pitch for Beijing, Almaty ahead of 2022 vote Updated: Jul-29-15 2:55 am
KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia - Former NBA star Yao Ming and Sochi Olympic bronze medalist figure skater Denis Ten differ in height by exactly two feet. The towering basketballer is representing Beijing's bid for the 2022 Olympics, and the diminutive figure skater is boosting the bid from Almaty, Kazakhstan.
- A look at Almaty's bid for the 2022 Winter Olympics Updated: Jul-28-15 4:53 am
ALMATY, Kazakhstan - The Central Asian city of Almaty is vying with Beijing to host the 2022 Winter Olympics. The winner will be selected Friday in a vote of the International Olympic Committee in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. Here's a quick look at Almaty's bid:
- Almaty offers traditional winter setting in 2022 Olympic bid Updated: Jul-28-15 4:51 am
ALMATY, Kazakhstan - Instead of grand talk about how the Olympics will break new ground by going to a majority-Muslim country for the first time, or by making their first visit to Central Asia, Almaty's bid for the 2022 Winter Games is about tradition.
- Bach: Facilities and sustainability key to winning 2022 bid Updated: Jul-27-15 10:09 am
KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia - The vote to determine which city will host the 2022 Winter Olympics will come down to the quality of sports facilities for athletes and sustainability, International Olympic Committee president Thomas Bach said Monday.
- Beijing touts experience, facilities in 2022 Olympic bid Updated: Jul-27-15 2:32 am
BEIJING - Beijing has marketed its bid to host the 2022 Winter Olympics as the reliable choice, despite concerns about a lack of natural snow, notoriously bad air pollution and warnings about the government's treatment of political dissidents and minority groups.
- Glacial melt blamed for flood in Central Asian city Almaty Updated: Jul-23-15 2:11 pm
MOSCOW - Officials in Kazakhstan say a flood that forced the evacuation of hundreds of people from the outskirts of the country's largest city was due to the rapid melting of a glacier in the nearby mountains.
- Human rights groups criticize both 2022 Winter Olympic bids Updated: Jul-23-15 9:26 am
Watchdog groups criticized the human rights records of China and Kazakhstan on Thursday, just over a week before the IOC decides on whether to award the 2022 Winter Olympics to Beijing or Almaty.