- Opponents of 'religious freedom' bill warn of discrimination Updated: May-06-15 7:52 pm
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - Opponents of a bill that would allow Alabama probate judges and ministers to refuse to marry gay couples on religious grounds say the legislation could open the door to broader discrimination.
- GOP presidential candidate Rubio headlines Phoenix events Updated: May-06-15 7:48 pm
PHOENIX - Republican presidential candidate Marco Rubio made a whirlwind stop in Arizona on Wednesday as he tries to drum up support for his 2016 campaign.
- Latest on Texas attack: NYPD: Assessing threat to blogger Updated: May-06-15 7:31 pm
6 p.m. CDT
- Texas gay discrimination bill opens complex father-son split Updated: May-06-15 7:13 pm
HOUSTON - Beau Miller and Patrick Summers have been partners for four years, but last December was the first time they spent Christmas at Miller's parents' home.
- Baltimore mayor seeks federal civil-rights probe of police Updated: May-06-15 7:12 pm
BALTIMORE - Baltimore's mayor was emphatic last week: She did not want federal oversight of her police department.
- Texas lawmakers advance abortion bills with little debate Updated: May-06-15 6:49 pm
AUSTIN, Texas - Abortion is again seizing the spotlight at the Texas Capitol - but largely only in small doses that haven't drawn the kind of heated debate and high emotion that dominated last session.
- Chicago OKs $5.5M in reparations for police torture victims Updated: May-06-15 6:46 pm
CHICAGO - Chicago's leaders took a step Wednesday typically reserved for nations trying to make amends for slavery or genocide, agreeing to pay $5.5 million in reparations to the mostly African-American victims of the city's notorious police torture scandal and to teach schoolchildren about one of the most shameful chapters of Chicago's history.
- Same-sex couples offered new marriage license applications Updated: May-06-15 6:43 pm
BOISE, Idaho - Six same-sex couples in northern Idaho who received marriage licenses before state officials say a federal court made such unions legal are being given a unique state-approved opportunity for a do-over.
- House Health Committee advances bills restricting abortions Updated: May-06-15 6:28 pm
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - The House Health Committee on Wednesday advanced a series of restrictions that opponents say would ban most abortions in the state.
- Utah professor defends signing anti-gay marriage court brief Updated: May-06-15 6:19 pm
LOGAN, Utah - A Utah State University professor is the most recent educator to defend himself after signing an amicus brief that argues against gay marriage.
- Proposed legislation would expand concealed weapons in Ohio Updated: May-06-15 6:13 pm
COLUMBUS, Ohio - A series of proposed gun laws would expand concealed weapons in Ohio by potentially allowing them in places like churches or day cares and letting certain gun owners carry concealed weapons without a permit.
- SC auditors fault department on abortion clinic reviews Updated: May-06-15 5:58 pm
COLUMBIA, South Carolina - South Carolina's Department of Health and Environmental Control hasn't consistently inspected the state's three licensed abortion clinics as required by law, which could result in serious problems for patients, auditors reported Wednesday.
- Jesse Jackson keeps pressure on Silicon Valley to diversify Updated: May-06-15 5:31 pm
SAN FRANCISCO - Jesse Jackson renewed his call Wednesday for the technology industry to make workforce diversity as high a priority as product innovation.
- Hearing held for former Inkster officer in motorist beating Updated: May-06-15 4:37 pm
INKSTER, Michigan - A judge has scheduled a probable cause hearing for a police officer charged in the beating of a black motorist following a traffic stop in the Detroit suburb of Inkster.
- Edmond school district to update playgrounds Updated: May-06-15 4:37 pm
EDMOND, Oklahoma - Edmond school officials have approved a $375,000 project to ensure all elementary school playgrounds are accessible for children with disabilities.
- La. House panel OKs bill prohibiting sex-selection abortion Updated: May-06-15 4:31 pm
BATON ROUGE, Louisiana - A proposal to ban abortions in Louisiana based on gender sailed through the House health care committee Wednesday.
- Ky. candidate takes a shot at rival as 'Christian Laettner' Updated: May-06-15 3:47 pm
LOUISVILLE, Kentucky - After this week, when gubernatorial candidate James Comer had to defend himself against allegations that he abused a former girlfriend in college, things seemingly couldn't get uglier in this bitterly contentious Republican primary.
- Study: Top tech firms bypassing Asian workers for exec jobs Updated: May-06-15 3:38 pm
SAN FRANCISCO - Google, Yahoo and other major technology companies are far more inclined to hire Asians as computer programmers than to promote them to become managers or executives, according to a study released Wednesday.
- Utah university suspends speech rules after lawsuit Updated: May-06-15 3:31 pm
SALT LAKE CITY - Dixie State University has suspended its campus speech rules amid a lawsuit from students who say the policies violated their right to free speech.
- New opposition protests in Macedonia follow violent clashes Updated: May-06-15 2:53 pm
SKOPJE, Macedonia - More than 1,000 opposition supporters protested outside Macedonia's parliament on Wednesday over the 2011 police killing of a student, a day after violence at a similar demonstration left 38 officers and one protester injured.
- State official: Clinton email practices 'not acceptable' Updated: May-06-15 2:53 pm
WASHINGTON - A high-ranking State Department official said Wednesday it's "not acceptable" for any agency employee to conduct government business on a private email server as former Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton did.
- Residents lobby Jonesboro panel to add protections for gays Updated: May-06-15 2:20 pm
JONESBORO, Arkansas - A group of people, including two ministers, are lobbying the Jonesboro City Council to consider an anti-discrimination ordinance extending protections for gay and lesbian city employees.
- Charlie Hebdo receives PEN award at literary gala in NYC Updated: May-06-15 1:49 pm
NEW YORK - Under armed security and a cloud of conflicted opinions and emotions, the French satirical magazine Charlie Hebdo was presented a freedom of expression award on Tuesday night from the PEN American Center.
- Abbott gets behind fast-moving religious objections bill Updated: May-06-15 1:23 pm
AUSTIN, Texas - Republican Texas Gov. Greg Abbott is publicly getting behind a religious objections bill that is moving fast after the U.S. Supreme Court heard historic arguments over gay marriage.
- Australian leader brushes off snub to diplomat's gay partner Updated: May-06-15 12:07 pm
CANBERRA, Australia - Australia's prime minister on Wednesday brushed off controversy over his office's treatment of the gay partner of the Australian ambassador to France.