- New Oklahoma prisons chief: Facilities crumbling, morale low Updated: Feb-10-16 6:52 pm
OKLAHOMA CITY - A longtime Republican political operative who previously headed the Federal Emergency Management Agency now has the daunting task of leading Oklahoma's overcrowded and underfunded prison system, which has come under increasing scrutiny after a series of problematic executions.
- Angela Davis stopped from visiting separatist in Spain jail Updated: Feb-07-16 10:55 am
MADRID - A delegation including American rights activist Angela Davis has been turned away from a Spanish prison where it tried to visit imprisoned Basque separatist politician Arnaldo Otegi.
- China reduces sentences for 11 Uighurs, including Canadian Updated: Feb-03-16 3:52 am
BEIJING - A court in western China has reduced the sentences of 11 Uighurs convicted of terrorism and endangering state security, including a naturalized Canadian preacher whose life term had been sharply criticized by Ottawa.
- Sexwale to meet South African federation over FIFA campaign Updated: Feb-01-16 8:16 am
FIFA presidential candidate Tokyo Sexwale will meet with senior South African Football Association officials on Tuesday for an "update" amid reports that the millionaire businessman's home federation is frustrated over his lackluster campaign.
- Myanmar's army-backed gov't frees 20 political prisoners Updated: Jan-22-16 9:51 am
YANGON, Myanmar - Myanmar's military-backed government released at least 20 political prisoners Friday, just a few months before it is scheduled to hand over power to an elected pro-democracy party. But human rights groups hedged their praise, noting that a court on the same day sentenced a peace activist to prison for a Facebook posting.