- Planned march shows cracks in Venezuela opposition movement Updated: May-27-15 3:31 pm
CARACAS, Venezuela - One of Venezuela's most high-profile politicians has called an anti-government march on Saturday, but the main opposition coalition is not endorsing the protest, underscoring fissures among critics of the country's socialist government.
- Jailed Venezuelan leader starts hunger strike, urges protest Updated: May-23-15 11:43 pm
CARACAS, Venezuela - Jailed opposition leader Leopoldo Lopez said he is beginning a hunger strike and called for a mass anti-government protest next week in a video leaked Saturday.
- Kuwait court upholds 2-year sentence against activist Updated: May-18-15 7:41 am
KUWAIT CITY - Kuwait's supreme court on Monday upheld a verdict and the two-year prison sentence against opposition leader Musallam al-Barrack on charges he insulted the country's ruler, his lawyer said.
- Myanmar court hands hard-labor sentences to 6 activists Updated: May-15-15 8:52 pm
YANGON, Myanmar - A Myanmar court imposed new sentences with hard labor for six prominent activists who are already serving prison terms for political activities.
- US: Trade pact best leverage to improve Vietnam human rights Updated: May-15-15 5:13 pm
WASHINGTON - Vietnam's desire to be in the Trans-Pacific Partnership free-trade pact is the best leverage Washington has to press for improved human rights there, a senior U.S. official said.
- Indonesia lifts travel ban for foreign journalists to Papua Updated: May-10-15 10:03 am
MERAUKE, Indonesia - Indonesia's president on Sunday announced the lifting of a travel ban for foreign journalists to the country's easternmost province, a day after freeing five Papuan political prisoners, part of government efforts to improve human rights in Papua.
- Former sheriff headed to prison to donate political money Updated: May-03-15 12:28 pm
MYRTLE BEACH, South Carolina - An attorney for James Metts says the former Lexington County sheriff who's been sentenced to prison plans to give almost $105,000 in unused political contributions to charities.