- After lauding ties with China, US lists the rights abuses Updated: Jun-25-15 2:46 pm
WASHINGTON - After heralding U.S. ties with China this week, the State Department shed light Thursday on an issue that got little public attention during the high-level talks in Washington: human rights.
- Cuba rights group: 60 political prisoners remain on island Updated: Jun-19-15 6:52 pm
HAVANA - A leading non-governmental human rights group says 60 political prisoners remain behind bars in Cuba, significantly fewer than last year.
- Bahraini opposition leader released after 4 years Updated: Jun-19-15 6:50 pm
MANAMA, Bahrain - A top Bahraini opposition leader was released Friday after more than four years in prison for his role in protests calling for reform in the Gulf kingdom.
- Bahrain Shiite opposition leader sentenced to 4 years Updated: Jun-16-15 8:38 am
MANAMA, Bahrain - A Bahraini court sentenced the country's leading Shiite opposition figure to four years in prison on Tuesday amid an ongoing crackdown on dissent in the tiny island kingdom.
- Spain ex-premier arrives in Caracas to help jailed leaders Updated: Jun-07-15 9:28 pm
CARACAS, Venezuela - A former Spanish prime minister has arrived in Venezuela, where he intends to help lawyers defending imprisoned opposition leader Leopoldo Lopez and Caracas mayor Antonio Ledezma, who is under house arrest.
- Monument honoring Cuban political prisoners destroyed Updated: Jun-06-15 3:04 am
MIAMI - Miami police are investigating after someone destroyed a monument erected years ago in honor of Cuban political prisoners.
- Jailed mayors' hunger strike rallies Venezuelan opposition Updated: Jun-04-15 5:50 pm
CARACAS, Venezuela - A hunger strike by two high-profile imprisoned politicians is generating excitement among members of a Venezuelan opposition that has seemed mostly disengaged since 2014's fiery protests.