- Myanmar pardons China loggers among nearly 7,000 prisoners Updated: Jul-30-15 6:56 am
YANGON, Myanmar - More than 150 Chinese workers sentenced to life in prison for illegal logging were freed in Myanmar on Thursday under a massive presidential pardon that included nearly 7,000 prisoners.
- Communist-era prison commander handed 20-year year sentence Updated: Jul-24-15 8:13 am
BUCHAREST, Romania - A court on Friday set a 20-year sentence for a communist-era prison commander convicted of crimes against humanity in the deaths of 12 inmates, in the first such trial in Romania.
- UN accredits Freedom Now in a victory for the United States Updated: Jul-20-15 7:20 pm
UNITED NATIONS - The United Nations on Monday approved U.N. accreditation for the non-profit organization Freedom Now which works to free prisoners of conscience around the world in a victory for the United States and a defeat for China and other opponents.
- Romania seeks 25-year sentence for communist prison chief Updated: Jul-14-15 1:38 pm
BUCHAREST, Romania - Romanian prosecutors say they are seeking up to 25 years in prison for a communist-era prison commander charged in the deaths of 12 political prisoners decades ago.
- Thai military court to release 14 students ahead of trial Updated: Jul-07-15 7:47 am
BANGKOK - A military court in Thailand said Tuesday it will release 14 student activists from detention but they will still face sedition charges - and the prospect of years in prison - for defying the junta's ban on political gatherings.