- Amish school shooter's kin: Horror, then healing Updated: Dec-09-13 8:37 am
- Philippine gov't, rebels sign power-sharing accord Updated: Dec-09-13 8:08 am
- Group seeks to extend time abuse victims can sue Updated: Dec-09-13 8:01 am
- Turkish PM on uncertain footing as elections loom Updated: Dec-09-13 6:41 am
- Dalai Lama to miss Mandela memorial in SAfrica Updated: Dec-09-13 6:02 am
- Polish court approves crucifix in parliament Updated: Dec-09-13 4:43 am
- Indian heartland votes give BJP boon over Congress Updated: Dec-08-13 10:16 pm
- Indiana religious, civic leaders praise Mandela Updated: Dec-08-13 8:14 pm
- Wisconsin Capitol gets Festivus pole for holidays Updated: Dec-08-13 4:52 pm
- Alamo followers claim ownership of properties Updated: Dec-08-13 4:25 pm
- New protests at Egypt's Al-Azhar university Updated: Dec-08-13 3:43 pm
- Central African leader: I can't control fighters Updated: Dec-08-13 2:31 pm
- Pope prays in Rome's posh shopping district Updated: Dec-08-13 12:56 pm
- Seizure of nuns stokes Syrian Christian fears Updated: Dec-08-13 12:32 pm
- Woman's Christian Temperance Union targeting pot Updated: Dec-08-13 11:12 am
- Satanists seek spot on Oklahoma Statehouse steps Updated: Dec-08-13 11:07 am
- 115-year-old quilt found in Omaha church archives Updated: Dec-07-13 6:11 pm
- France, AU send more troops to African nation Updated: Dec-07-13 5:30 pm
- Few heirs apparent to Mandela's symbol of freedom Updated: Dec-07-13 11:35 am
- Ohio Amish girl won't be forced to renew chemo Updated: Dec-06-13 8:23 pm
- Judge orders Colo. cake-maker to serve gay couples Updated: Dec-06-13 6:38 pm
- Victim advocates seek more data on accused clergy Updated: Dec-06-13 4:25 pm
- Founder to be reinterred as a US monastery closes Updated: Dec-06-13 1:31 pm
- Church's nativity brings Christmas story to life Updated: Dec-06-13 10:04 am
- Utah governor, Mormon church praise Mandela Updated: Dec-06-13 9:56 am
STRASBURG, Pennsylvania - Once a week, Terri Roberts spends time with a 13-year-old Amish girl named Rosanna who sits in a wheelchair and eats through a tube. Roberts bathes her, sings to her, reads her stories. She can only guess what's going on inside Rosanna's mind because the girl can't talk.
MANILA, Philippines - Philippine officials have signed a power-sharing accord with the country's largest Muslim rebel group and expect to sign a final peace pact with the insurgents next month to end a decadeslong rebellion in the volatile south.
BOSTON - Child welfare advocates are calling on the head of the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Boston to back legislation that would extend the time victims of childhood sexual abuse could file lawsuits.
ANKARA, Turkey - After dominating Turkish politics for a decade, Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan is entering election season on uncertain footing - without the support of key groups that had powered his previous electoral wins and facing divisions within his own party.
NEW DELHI - The Dalai Lama will not attend memorial services for fellow Nobel Peace Prize laureate Nelson Mandela in South Africa, where the Buddhist spiritual leader has twice been unable to obtain a visa, a spokesman said Monday.
WARSAW, Poland - A Polish court has rejected a complaint by non-believing lawmakers against the presence of a Roman Catholic crucifix in parliament.
NEW DELHI - India's main Hindu nationalist party trounced the nationally ruling Congress in four heartland states and knocked them out of the Indian capital in a ballot contest closely watched for clues to next year's general election.
INDIANAPOLIS - Religious and civic leaders and Hoosiers of different races, faiths and ages praised Nelson Mandela on Sunday as a model of reconciliation, understanding and perseverance.
MADISON, Wisconsin - Where do a 30-foot Christmas tree, a nativity-like scene that mocks religion and a Festivus pole peacefully coexist?
TEXARKANA, Arkansas - Several followers of convicted evangelist Tony Alamo have filed ownership claims to properties in Fouke and Fort Smith that a federal judge has ruled can be sold to partially satisfy a $30 million judgment Alamo owes in a civil lawsuit.
CAIRO - Egyptian police fired tear gas Sunday in an attempt to disperse supporters of the country's ousted Islamist president protesting at the dormitories of an Islamic university in Cairo.
BANGUI, Central African Republic - The rebel-leader-turned-president of Central African Republic acknowledged Sunday that he doesn't have total control over former allies who are accused of killing scores of civilians. He said even "an angel from the sky" could not solve all his country's problems.
ROME - Pope Francis, in the heart of Rome's fanciest shopping district, prayed on Sunday that the poor are never forgotten.
DAMASCUS - Syrian Christians offered prayers Sunday for a group of more than a dozen nuns and orphanage workers held by rebels for nearly a week, fueling fears in the minority community that they are being targeted by extremists among the fighters seeking to oust President Bashar Assad.
PORTLAND, Maine - The mansion that serves as Maine headquarters of the Woman's Christian Temperance Union lay largely fallow until recently, with drug needles, liquor bottles and pornographic magazines littering the grounds. Now, in the state where Prohibition had its roots and in a city that just legalized recreational marijuana, the WCTU is overhauling the building and looking to reinvent itself.
OKLAHOMA CITY - In their zeal to tout their faith in the public square, conservatives in Oklahoma may have unwittingly opened the door to a wide range of religious groups, including satanists who are seeking to put their own statue next to a Ten Commandments monument on the Statehouse steps.
OMAHA, Nebraska - A woman searching through church archives recently found a 115-year-old quilt that pieces together parts of Omaha's history.
BANGUI, Central African Republic - France and the African Union on Saturday announced plans to deploy several thousand more troops into embattled Central African Republic, as thousands of Christians fearing reprisal attacks sought refuge from the Muslim former rebels who now control the country after days of violence left nearly 400 people dead - and possibly more.
The passing of Nelson Mandela leaves a waning number of global figures representing freedom and resilience against oppression - and a changing world that makes it harder for anyone to approach Mandela's iconic power.
TOLEDO, Ohio - A court-appointed guardian is dropping her attempt to force an 11-year-old Amish girl with leukemia to resume chemotherapy after she and her parents fled their home to avoid treatment.
DENVER - A baker who refused to make a wedding cake for a same-sex ceremony must serve gay couples despite his religious beliefs or face fines, a judge said Friday.
MINNEAPOLIS - Advocates for victims of sexual abuse by clergy members say they will continue to push for more information about priests who have been accused of molesting children.
CAMDEN, New Jersey - A New Jersey diocese will be moving the remains of a French-born Dominican friar who was a founder of religious communities dedicated to reciting the rosary.
CUMBERLAND, Indiana - There are drive-thru restaurants and drive-thru banks, but a drive-thru nativity scene?
SALT LAKE CITY - Top Utah elected officials are praising Nelson Mandela, saying the world has lost one of its greatest leaders.