- Judge: Protesters must leave closed Catholic church June 5 Updated: May-29-15 5:43 pm
SCITUATE, Massachusetts - The clock is once again ticking for parishioners ordered to leave a shuttered Catholic church south of Boston where they have staged a protest for nearly 11 years.
- Nevada high court overturns $500K award in priest abuse case Updated: May-29-15 3:58 pm
LAS VEGAS - The Nevada Supreme Court has overturned a $500,000 jury award to a man who said he was groped in 1984 as a 13-year-old by a Catholic priest who had a history of sexual abuse in Wisconsin before being sent to a Las Vegas parish.
- Vatican official linked to Philadelphia faces Italy inquiry Updated: May-29-15 3:26 pm
PHILADELPHIA - A Vatican official with a role in organizing Pope Francis' September visit to Philadelphia is under investigation in Italy.
- Navajo Nation president's wife has been mysteriously absent Updated: May-29-15 3:14 pm
FLAGSTAFF, Arizona - The Office of the First Lady on the Navajo Nation has for years served as a ceremonial post for wives of presidents to promote literacy, healthy living, the arts and anti-drunken driving efforts.
- Pope praises 'heroism' of parents who decided not to abort Updated: May-29-15 1:56 pm
VATICAN CITY - Pope Francis has praised the "heroism" of parents of gravely ill children who chose not to abort.
- Top-ranking Mormon leader heads to hospice as cancer worsens Updated: May-29-15 12:59 pm
SALT LAKE CITY - A top-ranking Mormon leader, 92-year-old L. Tom Perry, is headed to hospice as his cancer spreads aggressively.
- Death toll from Baghdad hotel bombings rises to 15 Updated: May-29-15 10:40 am
BAGHDAD - The death toll from car bombs that targeted two prominent hotels in Baghdad a day earlier rose to 15 people, with another 42 wounded, Iraqi officials said Friday, as the Islamic State group claimed responsibility for the attack.
- Suicide bomber strikes Shiite mosque in Saudi, killing 4 Updated: May-29-15 9:42 am
RIYADH, Saudi Arabia - A suicide bomber blew himself up in the parking lot of a Shiite mosque in eastern Saudi Arabia during Friday prayers, killing four people in the second such attack in as many weeks claimed by the Islamic State group.
- Biblical soap opera enjoying ungodly success in Brazil Updated: May-29-15 8:22 am
RIO DE JANEIRO - The actress agonizes on her deathbed, her hair and makeup impeccable, as the hunky male lead clutches her hand. Tears pour down his face while her eyelids flutter to a final close.
- Vatican's anti-money laundering norms taking hold Updated: May-29-15 7:49 am
VATICAN CITY - The Vatican's financial watchdog agency said Friday it received 147 reports of suspicious financial transactions last year, a sign that tough new anti-money laundering norms are taking hold at its scandal-marred bank.
- College, Billy Graham Association partner for program Updated: May-29-15 7:04 am
MONTREAT, North Carolina - Montreat College has partnered with the Billy Graham Evangelistic Association to offer a Preaching and Evangelism concentration as part of the school's Bible and Religion program.
- McCrory vetoes NC religious objection bill on gay marriage Updated: May-28-15 10:01 pm
RALEIGH, North Carolina - North Carolina Gov. Pat McCrory vetoed Thursday a religious exemption bill that would allow some court officials to avoid gay marriage duties.
- NC gov. vetoes bill on religious objection to gay marriage Updated: May-28-15 9:47 pm
RALEIGH, North Carolina - North Carolina Gov. Pat McCrory has vetoed a religious exemption bill that would allow some court officials to avoid gay marriage duties.
- Indiana lawmakers won't study LGBT protections this summer Updated: May-28-15 7:19 pm
INDIANAPOLIS - Indiana lawmakers won't spend the summer discussing whether to grant statewide civil rights protections to lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender residents despite lingering fallout over a new religious objections law.
- 2 ex-Guantanamo detainees to tie knot with Uruguayan women Updated: May-28-15 6:58 pm
MONTEVIDEO, Uruguay - Two former Guantanamo Bay detainees are planning to tie the knot with women from their adopted home of Uruguay.
- Shocking ads ignite debate about abortion ban in Chile Updated: May-28-15 5:56 pm
SANTIAGO, Chile - The video shows a woman climbing a stairwell, her belly visibly pregnant, as she offers suggestions: Make sure there are no security cameras. Be careful not to look down or you might regret it.
- Pope joining gallery of murals on Philadelphia buildings Updated: May-28-15 5:19 pm
PHILADELPHIA - Philadelphia boasts a large and colorful cast of characters painted on buildings across the city - and now Pope Francis will join the crowd.
- Study says girls seek sisterhood - not just marriage - in IS Updated: May-28-15 3:46 pm
LONDON - The notion that young women are traveling to Syria solely to become "jihadi brides" is simplistic and hinders efforts to prevent other girls from being radicalized, new research suggests.
- Northern Ireland bakery owners to appeal 'gay cake' verdict Updated: May-28-15 1:47 pm
LONDON - The owners of a Northern Ireland bakery that refused to bake a cake supporting gay marriage said Thursday they would appeal their conviction for discrimination.
- Philadelphia Archdiocese teachers reject proposed contract Updated: May-28-15 11:24 am
PHILADELPHIA - Teachers at the Philadelphia Archdiocese's 17 high schools have rejected a proposed one-year contract.
- Christian schools in Israel say budget cuts hurt community Updated: May-28-15 8:26 am
RAMLE, Israel - It was an unlikely display of protesters: nuns cloaked in white, a black-clad priest clutching a golden scepter and dozens of Arab schoolchildren picketing outside the hulking headquarters of Israel's Education Ministry. Their message, raised high on large banners: "Take your hands off our schools."
- Lawsuit accuses Notre Dame professor of sexual assault Updated: May-28-15 8:03 am
SOUTH BEND, Indiana - A Roman Catholic priest who is a theology professor at the University of Notre Dame is accused of sexually abusing an unidentified boy more than 30 years ago in a lawsuit filed against him, the Archdiocese of San Antonio and a former priest who is believed to have gone into hiding more than a decade ago.
- Dalai Lama urges Aung San Suu Kyi to help Rohingya Muslims Updated: May-28-15 7:10 am
NEW DELHI - The Dalai Lama has urged Aung San Suu Kyi, Myanmar's pro-democracy icon and a fellow Nobel Peace Prize laureate, to speak out to protect her country's persecuted Rohingya Muslims amid a human trafficking crisis, a newspaper reported Thursday.
- UK Methodist Church apologizes for past sexual abuse cases Updated: May-28-15 6:58 am
LONDON - Britain's Methodist Church said Thursday it had found almost 2,000 reports of physical and sexual abuse within the institution over more than half a century, and has apologized for failing to protect the victims.
- Lutheran pastor also a Scotch whisky reviewer Updated: May-28-15 4:14 am
HARTLAND TOWNSHIP, Michigan - A Livingston County reverend wrote a book, and its subject matter might surprise you. "The Angels' Portion: A Clergyman's Whisky Narrative" is a collection of Scotch whisky reviews that reads more like a collection of creative short stories.