- Vatican's anti-money laundering norms taking hold Updated: May-29-15 7:49 am
VATICAN CITY - The Vatican's financial watchdog agency said Friday it received 147 reports of suspicious financial transactions last year, a sign that tough new anti-money laundering norms are taking hold at its scandal-marred bank.
- 2 to plead guilty in Los Angeles fashion district raids Updated: May-28-15 11:07 pm
LOS ANGELES - A father and son have agreed to plead guilty to crimes stemming from an investigation into suspected money laundering for Mexican drug cartels in the Los Angeles fashion district.
- Former FIFA member Blazer's plea seems key to investigation Updated: May-28-15 11:27 am
NEW YORK - Former FIFA executive committee member Chuck Blazer appears to have provided key information that has been central to the Justice Department's soccer corruption investigation, linking other officials in the Americas to a series of schemes.
- FIFA now subject to federal probes in US, Switzerland Updated: May-27-15 8:24 am
ZURICH - FIFA's reputation for corruption has reignited spectacularly two days before a presidential election expected to give Sepp Blatter four more years at the head of world soccer.
- Man sentenced to 18 months for money laundering Updated: May-27-15 6:14 am
NEWPORT NEWS, Virginia - A 19-year-old man from Smithfield was sentenced to serve 18 months in prison on convictions for conspiracy to commit money laundering and harboring a fugitive.
- NW Indiana accountant accused of fraud faced 34 counts Updated: May-21-15 5:59 pm
HAMMOND, Indiana - A federal grand jury has indicted the owner of a northwest Indiana accounting firm on 34 counts, a prosecutor said Thursday.
- Man sentenced for money laundering Updated: May-21-15 4:05 pm
NEW ORLEANS - A Slidell man has been sentenced to 2½ years in prison for money laundering.
- Prosecutors file new charge against former top Utah lawman Updated: May-20-15 4:57 pm
SALT LAKE CITY - Prosecutors have filed a new money laundering charge against former Utah Attorney General John Swallow.
- Ex-SC State board chairman sentenced to 5 years in prison Updated: May-20-15 1:39 pm
COLUMBIA, South Carolina - The former board chairman of South Carolina State University in Orangeburg has been sentenced to five years in prison for his role in a kickback and corruption scheme.
- Swedish top banks deemed easy prey for criminals, terrorists Updated: May-19-15 5:29 am
STOCKHOLM - Sweden's financial watchdog agency has fined top banks Nordea and Handelsbanken after finding serious shortcomings in their efforts to prevent money laundering.
- Caesars Palace could face up to $20 million in federal fines Updated: May-12-15 4:01 pm
LAS VEGAS - Caesars Palace could face paying between $12 million and $20 million worth of fines stemming from a federal investigation into how the casino prevents or detects money laundering.
- Traffic stop in South Texas yields more than $600K Updated: May-09-15 9:59 am
WESLACO, Texas - Authorities have seized bundles of cash adding up to $620,000 during a South Texas traffic stop.
- Suspended priest dubbed Monsignor Meth gets over 5-year term Updated: May-07-15 8:37 pm
HARTFORD, Connecticut - A suspended Roman Catholic priest dubbed Monsignor Meth apologized Thursday for running a methamphetamine distribution ring and letting down scores of friends and parishioners.
- UK police arrest 7 in fraud linked to Syria extremists Updated: May-06-15 9:29 am
LONDON - British police say they have arrested seven men as part of an investigation into an alleged fraud linked to extremists in Syria.
- Judge blocks release of couple in drug money laundering case Updated: Apr-30-15 6:32 pm
WICHITA, Kansas - A federal judge on Thursday blocked a Texas magistrate judge's order that allowed the release of a couple accused of laundering cartel drug money at a small southwest Kansas bank.