- Doctor in Colorado painkiller case gets 6 months in prison Updated: Feb-08-16 8:56 pm
MONTROSE, Colorado - One of two doctors accused of overprescribing painkillers at clinics in western Colorado has been sentenced to six months in federal prison followed by a year of supervised release, the first six months of which will be spent in home detention.
- Canada soccer head Montagliani to run for CONCACAF president Updated: Feb-08-16 5:48 pm
TORONTO - Canadian Soccer Association president Victor Montagliani says he is running for president of soccer's governing body for North and Central America and the Caribbean, whose past three presidents have been charged with corruption by U.S. prosecutors.
- French ex-minister in court over tax fraud, money laundering Updated: Feb-08-16 12:18 pm
PARIS - Jerome Cahuzac was the face of France's fight against tax evaders - until he was forced to acknowledge that he himself was dodging taxes, hiding money in tax havens around the world.
- Authorities close German unit of Canada's Maple Financial Updated: Feb-07-16 9:01 am
BERLIN - German authorities have ordered the closure of Maple Bank after the Canadian-owned company was investigated for alleged tax evasion and money laundering.
- Feds: Drug dealer used cake shop to launder money Updated: Feb-06-16 4:11 pm
VIRGINIA BEACH, Virginia - A couple who co-owns a Virginia Beach bakery is facing federal money laundering and drug charges.
- Texas traffic stop yields nearly $1.3M, 2 Oregon men held Updated: Feb-06-16 1:29 pm
HENRIETTA, Texas - Two Oregon men have been arrested during a North Texas traffic stop when their SUV yielded nearly $1.3 million.
- North Dakota case delayed because of murder-for-hire trial Updated: Feb-05-16 5:34 pm
BISMARCK, North Dakota - The federal trial for a woman accused of bilking investors in a North Dakota oil patch trucking firm has been delayed so she can testify in the ongoing murder-for-hire trial of her ex-husband.
- Lawyer: Mexican actress willing to talk about drug capo Updated: Feb-04-16 10:56 pm
LOS ANGELES - An attorney for actress Kate del Castillo said Thursday she is willing to talk to Mexican authorities about her encounters with Joaquin "El Chapo" Guzman and felt "betrayed" and "used" by actor Sean Penn, who wrote a lengthy article about his meeting with the drug kingpin after the actress introduced the two men.
- Wisconsin attorney reinstated after overturned conviction Updated: Feb-04-16 11:30 am
MADISON, Wisconsin - The Wisconsin Supreme Court has reinstated the license of a Kenosha lawyer two years after a federal court overturned his conviction for money laundering.
- Indictment: Landfill redeveloper lied to get state contract Updated: Feb-03-16 2:23 pm
TRENTON, New Jersey - Authorities say a businessman lied to environmental officials to secure a contract to turn a contaminated landfill in northern New Jersey into a solar farm.
- Widow of Illinois cop who staged suicide pleads not guilty Updated: Feb-03-16 1:55 pm
WAUKEGAN, Illinois - The wife of a disgraced Illinois police officer who staged his suicide to appear he was gunned down in the line of duty, sparking an intensive manhunt, pleaded not guilty Wednesday to charges she assisted her husband in siphoning money from a youth program.
- Middle school teacher indicted in drug case Updated: Feb-03-16 1:34 pm
ABERDEEN, Mississippi - A federal grand jury has indicted a teacher at a middle school in Columbus on drug charges and money laundering.
- Grand Forks man gets 20 years for role in fentanyl overdoses Updated: Feb-01-16 5:23 pm
FARGO, North Dakota - A 20-year-old Grand Forks man who pleaded guilty to a role in a case involving numerous overdoses centered on the powerful synthetic drug powdered fentanyl has been sentenced to 20 years in prison.
- Man admits role in doctor's alleged money laundering scheme Updated: Feb-01-16 5:10 pm
TRENTON, New Jersey - New Jersey authorities say a man has admitted his role in a scheme in which a doctor allegedly used more than two dozen "phantom employees" to help launder $3.6 million in earnings and avoid paying taxes.
- Singapore seizes bank accounts in Malaysian fund probe Updated: Feb-01-16 10:41 am
SINGAPORE - Singapore announced Monday that it has seized a large number of bank accounts in a probe into alleged misappropriations related to an indebted Malaysian state investment fund.
- Treasury sanctions 2 for laundering money for Hezbollah Updated: Jan-28-16 3:06 pm
WASHINGTON - The Treasury Department is sanctioning two Lebanese men suspected of laundering money for the Iran-backed Hezbollah militant group.
- Former Brazil president reacts to investigation of apartment Updated: Jan-28-16 2:10 pm
SAO PAULO - Former Brazilian President Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva is angry over a prosecutor saying a luxury apartment that he once thought of buying could be part of a scheme to launder money from the corruption scandal buffeting state-owned oil company Petrobras.
- Phoenix man accused of running fraudulent tax-prep business Updated: Jan-27-16 5:00 am
PHOENIX - A federal grand jury has indicted a woman of running a fraudulent tax-preparation business from her north Phoenix home.
- Man pleads guilty to trafficking heroin in Snohomish County Updated: Jan-26-16 2:04 am
EVERETT, Washington - A 29-year-old man accused of selling drugs in Snohomish County for years is set to be sentenced for drug trafficking, money laundering and witness intimidation.
- 2 Missouri men plead guilty in cooking oil theft ring Updated: Jan-20-16 7:48 am
SPRINGFIELD, Missouri - Two men from Joplin have pleaded guilty to participating in a scheme that sold cooking oil stolen from restaurants in five states.
- Rome court acquits ex-Vatican accountant of corruption Updated: Jan-18-16 12:33 pm
ROME - A court in Rome Monday acquitted an Italian monsignor, who was fired from his job as a Vatican accountant, of corruption, a defense lawyer for the priest said.
- Man admits to running check counterfeiting scheme Updated: Jan-16-16 2:59 pm
TRENTON, New Jersey - A northern New Jersey man has admitted running a counterfeiting scheme that deposited 300 bogus checks across four states.
- Former Mexico politician held in Spain on suspicion of fraud Updated: Jan-16-16 10:29 am
MADRID - A Spanish court has ruled that a prominent former Mexican politician who was arrested on a Spanish warrant should be held in custody while officers investigate alleged corruption.
- Ex-Kauai lieutenant charged with theft, money laundering Updated: Jan-15-16 7:39 am
HONOLULU - A former lieutenant for the Kauai Police Department has been arrested on charges that she stole $75,000 in federal grant money from the department.
- Former CEO of Vann's faces fraud, money laundering charges Updated: Jan-14-16 2:31 pm
MISSOULA, Montana - The former CEO of a Montana appliance and electronics store has been indicted on federal charges alleging he defrauded the employee-owned company his father-in-law founded, forcing it into bankruptcy in August 2012.