- FIFA reforms panel makes little progress at 1st meeting Updated: Sep-03-15 10:05 am
BERN, Switzerland - A FIFA-appointed panel driving reforms of the crisis-hit governing body has announced little progress after its first meeting.
- Japan beats Cambodia 3-0 in World Cup qualifier Updated: Sep-03-15 10:02 am
SAITAMA, Japan - Japan eased past Cambodia 3-0 on Thursday to secure its first win of World Cup qualifying while South Korea thrashed Laos 8-0 to stay undefeated.
- 2018 World Cup qualifier: Australia 5, Bangladesh 0 Updated: Sep-03-15 9:38 am
PERTH, Australia - Australia scored four times in the opening half hour before going on to beat Bangladesh 5-0 on Thursday in an Asian confederation qualifying match for the 2018 World Cup.
- Arsenal striker Danny Welbeck has surgery on left knee Updated: Sep-03-15 9:35 am
LONDON - Arsenal says striker Danny Welbeck will be "out for a period of months" after having surgery on his left knee.
- Bayern Munich sets up training camp for refugee children Updated: Sep-03-15 9:12 am
MUNICH - Bayern Munich is to create a training camp for refugee children and adolescents while donating a further 1 million euros ($1.1 million) toward refugee projects in response to the European migrant crisis.
- Froome pulls out of Spanish Vuelta with broken foot Updated: Sep-03-15 8:51 am
MADRID - Chris Froome pulled out of the Spanish Vuelta on Thursday after fracturing a bone in his right foot.
- North Dakota expanding athlete stipends to all sports Updated: Sep-03-15 7:36 am
GRAND FORKS, North Dakota - The University of North Dakota says it will begin providing stipends to scholarship athletes in all sports beginning next year.
- Derby's American owners sell to 'Candy Crush' entrepreneur Updated: Sep-03-15 7:33 am
DERBY, England - Derby's American owners have sold the English second-tier club to a local businessman who made a fortune through the "Candy Crush Saga" mobile game.
- Toure missing as Ivory Coast launches African title defense Updated: Sep-03-15 6:26 am
CAPE TOWN, South Africa - Ivory Coast begins the defense of its African title this weekend without Yaya Toure after the team captain asked not to be selected while he considers his international future.
- Itawamba Community College names Bozeman as assistant coach Updated: Sep-03-15 5:42 am
FULTON, Mississippi - Itawamba Community College has named Eric Bozeman as the Indians' new assistant basketball coach.
- France hopes to retain title with Tony Parker back in team Updated: Sep-03-15 4:46 am
FRANKFURT, Germany - Tony Parker is back and France will be looking to retain the title at the European Basketball Championship that starts over the weekend in four cities across the continent.
- Germany midfielder Marco Reus breaks toe in left foot Updated: Sep-03-15 4:38 am
FRANKFURT, Germany - Borussia Dortmund attacking midfielder Marco Reus has been ruled out of Germany's European Championship qualifiers against Poland and Scotland after breaking his big toe in his left foot.
- Chile rises in top 10 of FIFA rankings led by Argentina Updated: Sep-03-15 4:29 am
ZURICH - Copa America winner Chile rises two places to No. 8 in the FIFA rankings still led by Argentina.
- FIFA World Rankings List Updated: Sep-03-15 4:17 am
ZURICH - FIFA world rankings published Thursday (August position in parentheses):
- Chung says AFC broke election rules ahead of FIFA vote Updated: Sep-03-15 3:40 am
SEOUL, South Korea - South Korean billionaire Chung Mong-joon has accused the Asian Football Confederation of breaking electoral and ethical rules by lobbying for rival candidate Michel Platini in the upcoming FIFA presidential election.
- SD bullpen can't hold lead for Kennedy in loss to Rangers Updated: Sep-03-15 3:39 am
SAN DIEGO - After a miserable first two months, Ian Kennedy has been a different pitcher.
- Giants swept out of LA in 2-1 loss to 1st-place Dodgers Updated: Sep-03-15 2:33 am
LOS ANGELES - After staggering through 26 games against playoff-contending teams with a 10-16 record, the San Francisco Giants face a slew of lesser competition.
- Kershaw's 15 Ks lead Dodgers over Giants 2-1 Updated: Sep-03-15 2:08 am
LOS ANGELES - Once Dodgers manager Don Mattingly crossed the foul line without signaling the bullpen in the ninth inning, Clayton Kershaw knew he was safe to finish off the San Francisco Giants.
- D-backs fail to contain Gonzalez om 9-4 loss to Rockies Updated: Sep-03-15 1:50 am
DENVER - Chip Hale's high-percentage move was spoiled by Carlos Gonzalez.
- Gonzalez has 2 HRs, 7 RBIs as Rockies beat D-backs, 9-4 Updated: Sep-03-15 1:38 am
DENVER - After struggling at the start of the season, Carlos Gonzalez is finishing up strong.
- O'Malley, Morrison shine late, lift Seattle over Astros 8-3 Updated: Sep-03-15 1:29 am
HOUSTON - Houston was tied with the Seattle Mariners in the eighth inning on Wednesday night when Astros reliever Pat Neshek did something he had not done in his nine years in the majors.
- Giving up the long ball hurts Cards in 4-3 loss to Nationals Updated: Sep-03-15 1:27 am
ST. LOUIS - Tyler Lyons did well enough as a fill-in starter for the St. Louis Cardinals, Brandon Moss hit another mammoth home run and the offense erased a seventh-inning deficit for the third straight game.
- O'Malley, Morrison shine late, lift Seattle over Astros 8-3 Updated: Sep-03-15 1:02 am
HOUSTON - Rookie Shawn O'Malley was born and grew up in Washington in a family full of Seattle Mariners fans.
- Locke struggles, Brewers beat Pirates for 5th time in row Updated: Sep-03-15 1:00 am
MILWAUKEE - Pittsburgh Pirates manager Clint Hurdle won't make a rash decision about Jeff Locke's spot in the rotation after another subpar start.
- Slipper to lead Australia in rugby test vs United States Updated: Sep-03-15 12:55 am
SYDNEY - James Slipper will fill in as captain for Stephen Moore in Australia's rugby union test against the United States in Chicago this weekend, becoming the first prop to lead the Wallabies in almost four decades.