- Death benefits approved for family of Boston officer Updated: May-28-15 3:04 pm
BOSTON - The State Retirement Board in Massachusetts has awarded a line-of-duty death benefit to the family of a police officer who was wounded in a shootout with the Boston Marathon bombers and died a year later.
- Woodburn police chief injured in bank bombing to retire Updated: May-28-15 6:17 am
WOODBURN, Oregon - Woodburn Police Chief Scott Russell will retire July 1 after 28 years with the department.
- Prosecutors seek 7 years for Boston Marathon bomber's friend Updated: May-27-15 10:38 pm
BOSTON - A college friend of Boston Marathon bomber Dzhokhar Tsarnaev might have prevented a university police officer's shooting death by helping authorities find Tsarnaev instead of helping him, the officer's family said in a court filing Wednesday.
- Bomb blast kills senior police officer in Egypt's Sinai Updated: May-27-15 11:56 am
EL-ARISH, Egypt - Egypt's Interior Ministry says a roadside bomb has killed a senior police officer in the northwestern region of the Sinai Peninsula, home of the country's Islamic State affiliate.
- Moldova police find Molotov cocktails, detonators, masks Updated: May-27-15 11:40 am
CHISINAU, Moldova - Moldovan police have found Molotov cocktails, detonators, mobile phones and masks at two locations in the capital Chisinau and suspect they were intended to be used against peaceful protesters.
- 4 Taliban militants die in attack in Afghan capital Updated: May-26-15 11:28 pm
KABUL, Afghanistan - An all-night siege in an upscale neighborhood of Afghanistan's capital ended in the early hours of Wednesday morning with the deaths of four heavily armed Taliban attackers, though no civilians or security personnel were injured or killed, an Afghan official said.
- AP News in Brief at 9:58 p.m. EDT Updated: May-26-15 11:06 pm
The Latest on weather: Third body pulled from swollen Blanco River; Texas death toll now 13
- UN says alarming spike in female suicide bombings in Nigeria Updated: May-26-15 6:38 pm
GUBIO, Nigeria - Children are now being seen as potential threats after an "alarming spike" in suicide bombings by girls and women used by Boko Haram militants in northeastern Nigeria, the U.N. children's agency said Tuesday.
- Man carrying box he said had bomb robs bank Updated: May-25-15 4:28 pm
HYATTSVILLE, Maryland - Authorities say a man carrying a box he claimed contained a bomb robbed a bank in Hyattsville.
- Son of Pakistan's president escapes bomb attack killing 3 Updated: May-25-15 3:49 am
QUETTA, Pakistan - Police say the son of Pakistan's president has escaped a roadside bomb attack unharmed after the blast killed three people and wounded 15.
- Army removes WWII bomb near London's Wembley Stadium Updated: May-22-15 11:52 am
LONDON - British police say the army has safely removed an unexploded World War II bomb found near London's Wembley Stadium.
- UK bomb maker sentenced to life for killing US soldier Updated: May-22-15 8:16 am
LONDON - A British man was sentenced Friday to life in prison for making a roadside bomb that killed a U.S. soldier in Iraq in 2007.
- Laramie man found guilty of plotting to kill man with bomb Updated: May-21-15 2:08 pm
LARAMIE, Wyoming - A jury has found a Laramie man guilty of plotting to use a homemade pipe bomb to kill the man his wife was reportedly having an affair with.
- Jury silent after sentencing Boston marathon bomber to death Updated: May-20-15 2:29 pm
BOSTON - The jurors in the trial of Boston Marathon bomber Dzhokhar Tsarnaev are lying low after months of being center stage in one of the most closely watched terror trials in the post-9/11 era.
- 3 suspects sought in tire shop firebombing that killed teens Updated: May-19-15 2:31 pm
LOS ANGELES - Los Angeles County Sheriff's investigators are searching for three male suspects in the firebombing of a Los Angeles-area tire shop that killed three teenagers.
- Khamenei's adviser dismisses Iran role in Argentina bombing Updated: May-19-15 12:19 am
BUENOS AIRES, Argentina - An adviser to Iran's supreme leader is dismissing accusations that he masterminded Argentina's worst terrorist attack and says that he and the Islamic Republic are innocent.
- Will death make Tsarnaev a martyr? Experts say it depends Updated: May-17-15 10:50 am
BOSTON - Does putting Boston Marathon bomber Dzhokhar Tsarnaev to death make him a martyr for the cause?
- Army weighs if ex-Green Beret hero should be dismissed Updated: May-16-15 10:52 am
RALEIGH, North Carolina - An Army officer stripped of a medal for heroism under fire and his right to call himself a Green Beret is fighting for his military career after accusations he tracked down and killed a suspected bomb-maker in Afghanistan.
- The Latest on Boston Marathon trial: 'The jury has spoken' Updated: May-15-15 5:31 pm
- Cop almost killed in Boston Marathon shootout returns to job Updated: May-15-15 1:44 pm
BOSTON - The transit police officer almost killed during a shootout with the Boston Marathon bombers has returned to work - with a promotion.
- Bin Laden top aide faces sentencing in embassy bombing case Updated: May-14-15 1:57 pm
NEW YORK - Defense lawyers are urging a federal judge to sentence a former top aide to Osama bin Laden to less than life in prison for his conviction in the deadly 1998 bombings of two U.S. embassies in Africa while prosecutors are calling for a life term, saying he has "grossly miscast himself as an opponent of violence."
- Gaza officials: 'Dozens' wounded by blast at Hamas base Updated: May-14-15 1:32 pm
GAZA CITY, Gaza Strip - Palestinian officials say dozens of people were injured when a bomb exploded at a training base used by the Islamic militant group Hamas, which rules the territory.
- Feds: Suspect in Islamic State case searched 'suicide' Updated: May-13-15 3:19 pm
CHICAGO - Federal prosecutors say a 19-year-old Chicago-area man accused of trying to join the Islamic State group searched the terms "suicide" and "suicide bombings" on his phone before his 2014 arrest.
- Tow truck hauling NYPD bomb vehicle kills man in W. Pa. Updated: May-12-15 8:19 am
CONNELLSVILLE, Pennsylvania - A man was killed when a tow truck hauling a New York Police Department bomb squad vehicle rear-ended his SUV on a western Pennsylvania road.
- What's next in the trial of the Boston Marathon bomber Updated: May-08-15 12:11 pm
BOSTON - The trial of Boston Marathon bomber Dzhokhar Tsarnaev is winding down after months of testimony about the deadly 2013 attack. Jurors have seen gruesome autopsy photos of the three people killed in the bombings and heard tearful stories from survivors. They've also listened to teachers and family members describe Tsarnaev as a kind, caring child who grew up in a dysfunctional family. Soon, the jury will begin deliberating his punishment: life in prison or the death penalty. Here's what's next in the trial: