- Correction: Iran-Nuclear story Updated: Aug-28-15 1:08 pm
VIENNA - In a story Aug. 19 about an arrangement over alleged past nuclear weapons work between Iran and the International Atomic Energy Agency, The Associated Press reported erroneously referred to Parchin as a "nuclear site." In fact, it is a military site where some believe nuclear weapons work may have occurred.
- Kazakhstan to host international uranium bank Updated: Aug-27-15 9:43 am
MOSCOW - The International Atomic Energy Agency and Kazakhstan have signed an agreement to establish a low-enriched uranium bank in the Central Asian country, a move that supporters say could reduce concerns about nuclear weapons proliferation.
- What the secret agreement between Iran and the UN says Updated: Aug-20-15 10:40 pm
VIENNA - An AP report has revealed that the U.N. International Atomic Energy Agency has agreed with Iran that Iranian experts and equipment will be used to inspect Iran's Parchin military site, located not far from Tehran, where Iran is suspected of conducting covert nuclear weapons activity more than a decade ago.
- Cruz brings undo-Obama message to GOP event in Cheyenne Updated: Aug-20-15 8:05 pm
CHEYENNE, Wyoming - Republican presidential candidate Ted Cruz campaigned at a Wyoming Republican Party fundraiser Thursday with tea-party-flavored promises to undo huge portions of President Barack Obama's legacy, from health care reform to a nuclear agreement with Iran.
- Russia looks to make food smuggling as serious as arms trade Updated: Aug-20-15 8:20 am
MOSCOW - Russian customs officials want to make smuggling banned Western foods a criminal offense as serious as dealing in radioactive materials or explosives.
- Second airship launched in test of missile defense system Updated: Aug-19-15 3:17 pm
On Wednesday, The North American Aerospace Defense Command launched the second of two helium-filled airships near Baltimore to test an East Coast missile defense system. The launch at the Army's Aberdeen Proving Ground completes the aerial part of the Joint Land Attack Cruise Missile Defense Elevated Netted Sensor System, or JLENS. Here's what it's all about:
- Air Force test-launches unarmed missile from California Updated: Aug-19-15 2:10 pm
VANDENBERG AIR FORCE BASE, California - The Air Force says an unarmed Minuteman 3 missile was launched from California in a test of the intercontinental ballistic missile system.
- AP Interview: Huckabee vows to shake up Mideast policies Updated: Aug-19-15 1:03 pm
JERUSALEM - Republican presidential hopeful Mike Huckabee on Wednesday vowed to abandon key American policies in the Mideast if he is elected next year, endorsing positions that would put the U.S. at odds with its closest allies.
- Democrat Menendez announces opposition to Iran nuclear deal Updated: Aug-18-15 2:47 pm
SOUTH ORANGE, New Jersey - New Jersey Sen. Bob Menendez announced on Tuesday his opposition to the Iran nuclear deal, the second Democratic senator to go against President Barack Obama, who is heavily lobbying for a congressional endorsement of the international accord.
- Britain's Hammond in China for security, climate talks Updated: Aug-12-15 10:34 am
BEIJING - British Foreign Secretary Philip Hammond said Wednesday that an international agreement to limit Iran's nuclear program could give impetus to efforts aimed at curbing North Korea's nuclear weapons program.
- US officials say they can tell if Iran is cheating on deal Updated: Aug-12-15 3:42 am
WASHINGTON - Despite a track record of misjudgments about weapons of mass destruction, U.S. intelligence officials say they are confident they can verify Iran's compliance with the recently completed nuclear deal.
- Schumer: If US quits deal, US sanctions still will hurt Iran Updated: Aug-11-15 2:00 pm
WASHINGTON - The lone Democratic senator to publicly oppose President Barack Obama's nuclear agreement with Iran said Tuesday that even if the U.S. backs away and other countries lift their sanctions, Iran still will feel meaningful pressure from the U.S. penalties.
- McConnell to Obama: Stop demonizing Iran deal opponents Updated: Aug-06-15 3:47 pm
WASHINGTON - President Barack Obama is treating his drive to win congressional approval for his nuclear deal with Iran like a political campaign, making attacks on opponents that need to stop, Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell said Thursday.
- France seeking new buyers for Mistral warships Updated: Aug-06-15 11:26 am
BRUSSELS - If you're looking for a boat to carry 16 helicopter gunships, 700 troops and up to 50 armored vehicles, the French may be ready to make you a super deal.
- US military tests ballistic missile interceptor off Hawaii Updated: Aug-03-15 6:40 pm
HONOLULU - The U.S. military said Monday it successfully tested an interceptor that can shoot down ballistic missiles as well as airplanes.
- US-China nuclear agreement passes congressional review Updated: Aug-03-15 4:33 pm
WASHINGTON - An agreement allowing American involvement in China's civilian atomic industry is set to be renewed for 30 years despite some stiff criticism from lawmakers over the Asian nation's record on nuclear proliferation.