- Rwanda names 24 baby mountain gorillas in annual tradition Updated: Sep-05-15 9:47 am
KINIGI, Rwanda - Rwanda named two-dozen baby mountain gorillas in an annual ceremony Saturday that highlights the African country's efforts to protect the endangered animals, which attract large numbers of foreign tourists to the volcano-studded forests where they live.
- Horse industry worries about plans to curb casino subsidies Updated: Sep-04-15 11:14 am
BOSTON - Horse track operators and breeders are concerned the good times might be trotting to a close as some states move to rein in a lucrative subsidy that's helped prop up their long suffering-industry.
- Ex-animal shelter director pleads not guilty to charges Updated: Sep-04-15 8:20 am
MOULTON, Alabama - The former director of a north Alabama animal shelter has pleaded not guilty to charges of animal abuse and neglect.
- Los Angeles reduces kill rate at animal shelters Updated: Sep-03-15 8:42 pm
LOS ANGELES - An audit says one in four animals at Los Angeles shelters was euthanized last year but the city is making progress toward its goal of becoming a "no-kill" city.
- East Illinois village considers allowing coyote hunts Updated: Sep-03-15 12:35 pm
TOLONO, Illinois - A small community in eastern Illinois is debating whether to allow the hunting of coyotes as a way of controlling their population.
- Lost Australian sheep yields 30 sweaters worth of fleece Updated: Sep-03-15 7:41 am
CANBERRA, Australia - A lost, overgrown sheep found in Australian scrubland was shorn for perhaps the first time on Thursday, yielding 40 kilograms (89 pounds) of wool - the equivalent of 30 sweaters - and shedding almost half his body weight.
- Wildlife officials limit bears hunters can kill to 320 Updated: Sep-02-15 10:34 pm
FORT LAUDERDALE, Florida - Florida wildlife officials have approved the killing of 320 black bears next month during the state's first bear hunting season in more than 20 years.
- Court strips lesser prairie chicken of federal protection Updated: Sep-02-15 7:49 pm
MIDLAND, Texas - A federal court in Texas has stripped the lesser prairie chicken of Endangered Species Act protections, a victory for oil and gas companies that argued conservation efforts are working.
- Sandy to end use of gas chamber in euthanizing animals Updated: Sep-02-15 4:31 pm
SALT LAKE CITY - The city of Sandy is banning the gas chamber in favor lethal injection in euthanizing animals.
- Attorney general clears most proposed state ballot questions Updated: Sep-02-15 2:08 pm
BOSTON - The state's attorney general cleared the way on Wednesday for supporters of more than 20 proposed ballot questions, including ones calling for the legalization of recreational marijuana use, to proceed with efforts to place the measures before Massachusetts voters next year.
- Pocatello shelter forced to kill cats to stop viral outbreak Updated: Sep-02-15 8:04 am
POCATELLO, Idaho - The city of Pocatello says the entire population of cats at its animal shelter will be euthanized to stop the spread of an upper respiratory infection outbreak.
- Sheridan planning to hunt city-dwelling deer Updated: Aug-30-15 1:28 pm
SHERIDAN, Wyoming - Deer looking to put down roots in Sheridan find everything they need within city limits: abundant forage, lack of natural predators and plenty of space to settle down and start a family.
- Cecil and Caitlyn heat up the Halloween costume wars early Updated: Aug-28-15 9:46 pm
NEW YORK - Who gets to decide what grown people wear for Halloween?
- Environmentalists press on with Maine lynx trapping lawsuit Updated: Aug-28-15 1:09 pm
PORTLAND, Maine - A coalition of environmental groups is pressing ahead with a lawsuit it says will provide more protection for Maine's lynx, despite new trapping restrictions adopted by the state to safeguard the animals.
- Movie debuting about abused dog named 'Gucci' Updated: Aug-28-15 9:11 am
FLORENCE, Alabama - Doug James smiles when reminiscing about his "rock star" best friend.
- Officers find ball python in Nampa neighborhood Updated: Aug-28-15 5:10 am
NAMPA, Idaho - Nampa police officers are looking for the owners of a ball python after the reptile was found slithering across the street of a residential neighborhood.
- 32 cats, 1 bird rescued from Merrimack County hoarding house Updated: Aug-28-15 5:05 am
HOOKSETT, New Hampshire - New Hampshire animal safety officials say they have rescued 32 cats and one bird from a Merrimack County hoarding home.
- California Assembly OKs ending use of bullhooks on elephants Updated: Aug-27-15 6:41 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - The California state Assembly has passed a bill to ban the use of bullhooks to guide and discipline elephants.
- McDonald's, Tyson cut ties with farmer tied to abuse video Updated: Aug-27-15 12:25 pm
NEW YORK - McDonald's and its supplier Tyson Foods say they've cut ties with a chicken farmer after an advocacy group released a video taken with a hidden camera that the group said showed abusive practices at its farm.
- Humane Society says new videos document walking horse abuse Updated: Aug-25-15 6:53 pm
NASHVILLE, Tennessee - Three years after a prominent Tennessee walking horse trainer pleaded guilty to abuse charges following the release of undercover videos, a new horse abuse investigation is under way.
- Officials in Dakotas look to contain invasive zebra mussels Updated: Aug-25-15 11:46 am
SIOUX FALLS, South Dakota - An invasive species of mollusks seen sporadically in the Dakotas in past years is establishing a population in two river systems - but state officials hope to prevent the zebra mussels from spreading to other reservoirs.
- Texas lab criticized over handling of monkeys for study Updated: Aug-24-15 5:38 pm
DALLAS - A prestigious laboratory in Texas is under federal investigation after auditors issued a preliminary report saying it did not do enough to prevent the suffering of primates who were infected with a deadly virus for a study of the disease.
- Liberians look for help to care for research chimps Updated: Aug-24-15 4:34 pm
CHIMPANZEE ISLAND, Liberia - Eleven chimpanzees rushed out from the bush and descended from trees to the shore, making jubilant sounds to greet the speed boat bringing food.
- Authorities bust dogfight as it happens in Chester County Updated: Aug-24-15 3:43 pm
RICHBURG, South Carolina - Authorities say they busted a dogfight as it happened in Chester County and arrested three people.
- Officials find neglected horses with 3-foot-long hooves Updated: Aug-24-15 11:16 am
HAGERSTOWN, Maryland - The Humane Society of Washington County is investigating a situation that recently resulted in the euthanization of a miniature mare and the rescue of two emaciated horses from a property in Washington County.