- Sheridan planning to hunt city-dwelling deer Updated: Aug-30-15 1:28 pm
SHERIDAN, Wyoming - Deer looking to put down roots in Sheridan find everything they need within city limits: abundant forage, lack of natural predators and plenty of space to settle down and start a family.
- Cecil and Caitlyn heat up the Halloween costume wars early Updated: Aug-28-15 9:46 pm
NEW YORK - Who gets to decide what grown people wear for Halloween?
- Environmentalists press on with Maine lynx trapping lawsuit Updated: Aug-28-15 1:09 pm
PORTLAND, Maine - A coalition of environmental groups is pressing ahead with a lawsuit it says will provide more protection for Maine's lynx, despite new trapping restrictions adopted by the state to safeguard the animals.
- Movie debuting about abused dog named 'Gucci' Updated: Aug-28-15 9:11 am
FLORENCE, Alabama - Doug James smiles when reminiscing about his "rock star" best friend.
- Officers find ball python in Nampa neighborhood Updated: Aug-28-15 5:10 am
NAMPA, Idaho - Nampa police officers are looking for the owners of a ball python after the reptile was found slithering across the street of a residential neighborhood.
- 32 cats, 1 bird rescued from Merrimack County hoarding house Updated: Aug-28-15 5:05 am
HOOKSETT, New Hampshire - New Hampshire animal safety officials say they have rescued 32 cats and one bird from a Merrimack County hoarding home.
- California Assembly OKs ending use of bullhooks on elephants Updated: Aug-27-15 6:41 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - The California state Assembly has passed a bill to ban the use of bullhooks to guide and discipline elephants.
- McDonald's, Tyson cut ties with farmer tied to abuse video Updated: Aug-27-15 12:25 pm
NEW YORK - McDonald's and its supplier Tyson Foods say they've cut ties with a chicken farmer after an advocacy group released a video taken with a hidden camera that the group said showed abusive practices at its farm.
- Humane Society says new videos document walking horse abuse Updated: Aug-25-15 6:53 pm
NASHVILLE, Tennessee - Three years after a prominent Tennessee walking horse trainer pleaded guilty to abuse charges following the release of undercover videos, a new horse abuse investigation is under way.
- Officials in Dakotas look to contain invasive zebra mussels Updated: Aug-25-15 11:46 am
SIOUX FALLS, South Dakota - An invasive species of mollusks seen sporadically in the Dakotas in past years is establishing a population in two river systems - but state officials hope to prevent the zebra mussels from spreading to other reservoirs.
- Texas lab criticized over handling of monkeys for study Updated: Aug-24-15 5:38 pm
DALLAS - A prestigious laboratory in Texas is under federal investigation after auditors issued a preliminary report saying it did not do enough to prevent the suffering of primates who were infected with a deadly virus for a study of the disease.
- Liberians look for help to care for research chimps Updated: Aug-24-15 4:34 pm
CHIMPANZEE ISLAND, Liberia - Eleven chimpanzees rushed out from the bush and descended from trees to the shore, making jubilant sounds to greet the speed boat bringing food.
- Authorities bust dogfight as it happens in Chester County Updated: Aug-24-15 3:43 pm
RICHBURG, South Carolina - Authorities say they busted a dogfight as it happened in Chester County and arrested three people.
- Officials find neglected horses with 3-foot-long hooves Updated: Aug-24-15 11:16 am
HAGERSTOWN, Maryland - The Humane Society of Washington County is investigating a situation that recently resulted in the euthanization of a miniature mare and the rescue of two emaciated horses from a property in Washington County.
- Guilford County animal shelter reopens after investigation Updated: Aug-23-15 12:05 pm
GREENSBORO, North Carolina - Animals are being adopted again from the Guilford County Animal Shelter, which closed for almost a week following an investigation into charges of cruelty and mismanagement.
- Kansas City Zoo's geriatric care includes arthritis therapy Updated: Aug-23-15 11:14 am
KANSAS CITY, Missouri - Treating elephant arthritis is among the challenges the Kansas City Zoo is facing as its animals live longer.
- Idaho animal shelter slashes euthanasia rate Updated: Aug-22-15 4:10 pm
RUPERT, Idaho - South-central Idaho officials say they have slashed the number of dogs euthanized at an animal shelter.
- Woman hopes to run cat cafe in Grand Island Updated: Aug-22-15 10:58 am
GRAND ISLAND, Nebraska - If Cara Hunter's vision becomes a reality, Grand Island will join an exclusive club of U.S. cities.
- Spain: New leftist mayors turn back on bullfighting Updated: Aug-22-15 9:19 am
VILLAFRANCA DE LOS CABALLEROS, Spain - Bullfights or schoolbooks? A new breed of local officials in Spain are asking.
- Ellisville to use police to control deer population Updated: Aug-21-15 8:26 am
ELLISVILLE, Missouri - Aldermen in Ellisville have given police authority to use rifles to reduce the growing deer population in the St. Louis County town.
- Police find badly burned dog corpse in Coatesville Updated: Aug-21-15 6:43 am
COATESVILLE, Pennsylvania - Animal welfare officials have launched an investigation after discovering a dog's charred corpse inside a dumpster in a town outside Philadelphia.
- 4 stray dogs burned with chemical agent in LA County Updated: Aug-20-15 10:17 pm
LOS ANGELES - Four stray dogs have been attacked and severely burned with a chemical agent over the past few weeks in Lancaster, with two so badly injured they had to be euthanized, authorities said.
- Nebraska officials: Iowa animals will be up for adoption Updated: Aug-20-15 6:08 pm
OMAHA, Nebraska - The Nebraska Humane Society says more than two dozen dogs, 14 chinchillas, two parrots and a horse rescued from a residence in western Iowa will be up for adoption soon.
- Mason City animal shelter adding space for more cats Updated: Aug-20-15 5:37 pm
MASON CITY, Iowa - The Humane Society of North Iowa is making more room for more cats at its Mason City animal shelter.
- Topeka Zoo denies claims that their elephants are lonely Updated: Aug-20-15 11:20 am
TOPEKA, Kansas - Topeka Zoo officials are denying claims that the zoo's two elephants are suffering from a lack of social interaction.