- Construction frenzy in Beirut alters city skyline Updated: Apr-20-14 11:10 am
- Vicksburg building up for National Register Updated: Apr-19-14 11:04 am
- Group works to preserve Revolutionary War site Updated: Apr-19-14 9:35 am
- Brewers seek to rekindle Belgium's love of beer Updated: Apr-18-14 5:43 am
- Days after shooting, 'Virunga' debuts at Tribeca Updated: Apr-17-14 10:22 pm
- Correction: Charleston-World Heritage story Updated: Apr-16-14 10:37 am
- Festival celebrating Caddo culture scheduled Updated: Apr-16-14 3:25 am
- 6 Tenn. sites added to National Register Updated: Apr-15-14 4:05 am
- Restoration nears for historic Iowa City cabins Updated: Apr-13-14 3:59 pm
- Shipwreck off Fla slated to be underwater preserve Updated: Apr-13-14 12:23 pm
- Dingell, Levin introduce Heritage Area legislation Updated: Apr-09-14 6:41 pm
- Group wants to recognize Hog Island fig Updated: Apr-05-14 10:37 am
- Volunteers excavate Ohio Civil War island prison Updated: Apr-04-14 7:12 pm
- Tribes draw knowledge from monolingual speakers Updated: Apr-04-14 2:39 am
- Tribal cultural center closed due to water damage Updated: Apr-03-14 10:55 am
- Cambodia's Angkor temples added to Street View Updated: Apr-03-14 6:50 am
- 3 more SD properties added to National Register Updated: Mar-31-14 12:49 pm
- Des Moines considers demolishing downtown YMCA Updated: Mar-30-14 12:55 pm
- Tradition a delicate balance for Florida tribes Updated: Mar-29-14 1:17 am
- NH town library on national historic register Updated: Mar-27-14 9:34 am
- Trail of Tears site added to national register Updated: Mar-24-14 3:49 pm
- 10 NC historic spots added to national register Updated: Mar-23-14 12:55 pm
- US schools add Vietnamese to dual immersion Updated: Mar-22-14 3:10 pm
- Threatened Chesapeake Bay island recognized Updated: Mar-21-14 2:08 pm
- Modern home divides historic Southern neighborhood Updated: Mar-21-14 1:46 pm
BEIRUT - One by one, the old traditional houses of Beirut are vanishing as luxury towers sprout up on every corner, altering the city's skyline almost beyond recognition amid an ongoing construction frenzy seemingly immune to tensions from the civil war raging next door.
VICKSBURG, Mississippi - State archivists have recommended the former Monte Carlo building in Vicksburg be included on the National Register of Historic Places.
SYLVANIA, Georgia - More than two centuries after a daring British surprise attack routed American forces at Brier Creek, new efforts are underway to preserve one of Georgia's least explored Revolutionary War sites.
DWORP, Belgium - The ruby lettering on the front of the old corner pub "In de Welkom" has peeled almost beyond recognition. Owner Leza Wauters, a tough 87-year-old, is holding on to her business but can't say how much longer. Sooner or later, yet another bar with a warm "Welcome" will be gone.
NEW YORK - Days after the director of Africa's oldest national park was shot by gunmen, a documentary about those who protect Virunga National Park from armed poachers and encroaching oil interests premiered at the Tribeca Film Festival.
CHARLESTON, South Carolina - In a story April 7 about Charleston seeking World Heritage status, The Associated Press reported erroneously that Charleston's application must be submitted to the National Park Service by January 2016. That date is only a target for completing the application, not a deadline.
OKLAHOMA CITY - A festival celebrating the Caddo culture will be held in Oklahoma City.
NASHVILLE, Tennessee - Six Tennessee sites have been added to the National Register of Historic Places.
IOWA CITY, Iowa - More than a century's worth of history, dating back to the first settlers of Johnson County, can be found in the weathered oak logs of two Iowa City cabins.
ST. PETERSBURG, Florida - A 19th century shipwreck in the waters off St. Petersburg is slated to become the state's 12th underwater archaeological preserve.
DETROIT - U.S. Rep. John Dingell and U.S. Sen. Carl Levin have introduced legislation that would maintain federal funding for the MotorCities National Heritage Area, which is set to expire Sept. 30.
WILLIS WHARF, Virginia - An international organization wants to add President Grover Cleveland's celebrated Hog Island fig to a collection of distinguished foods to be preserved for future generations.
JOHNSON ISLAND, Ohio - Civil War history hides under a grassy field tucked amid barren trees on Johnson Island, a patch of land in Sandusky Bay where captured Confederate prisoners were confined 150 years ago.
BRIGGS, Oklahoma - Mack Vann sits in the living room of his single-story home in rural Oklahoma with the television blaring, a news reporter giving details of the latest grisly crime to hit the state.
SHAWNEE, Oklahoma - The Citizen Potawatomi Nation says its Cultural Heritage Center has been closed because of water damage.
PHNOM PENH, Cambodia - The spectacular temples of Cambodia's Angkor civilization have been incorporated into Google's Street View, a boost to the impoverished country's tourism industry that also adds urgency to efforts to preserve the sprawling historic site.
PIERRE, South Dakota - Three more South Dakota properties have been added to the National Register of Historic Places.
DES MOINES, Iowa - When Steve King, deputy state historic preservation officer, looks at the Des Moines Riverfront YMCA, he sees a downtown landmark and an example of midcentury architecture, an era that emphasized functionality and clean building lines.
MIAMI - Cobalt blues and salmon pinks flash by like a meteor shower during a new moon as a group of middle school students parade through the main hall of the Miccosukee Embassy in Miami.
NORTH HAMPTON, New Hampshire - The North Hampton Library in New Hampshire has been named to the National Register of Historic Places.
OKLAHOMA CITY - A site where Cherokee Indians disbanded following the Trail of Tears is among six new properties on the National Register of Historic Places.
RALEIGH, North Carolina - Ten North Carolina properties and districts ranging from a cotton mill to an estate are now part of the National Register of Historic Places.
GARDEN GROVE, California - When Thuy Vo Dang came to the U.S. as a young girl, her English took off. Her parents sent her to Vietnamese school on the weekends to learn her native language, but she eventually had to study it in graduate school to become fully literate.
RICHMOND, Virginia - Tangier Island, a speck of land in the middle of the Chesapeake Bay where islanders speak a hybrid English accent, is headed to the state's catalog of historic places and a likely spot on the National Register of Historic Places.
RALEIGH, North Carolina - Architect Louis Cherry sees the two-story structure - with its exposed beams, masonry piers, deep overhangs and shallow-pitched roof - as a "contemporary interpretation" of the Craftsman-style homes that dot the city's Historic Oakwood District.