- Booker T. Washington High gets listed on historic registry Updated: Oct-03-15 4:05 am
SHREVEPORT, Louisiana - Booker T. Washington High School in Shreveport has gained approval for listing on the National Register of Historic Places.
- Bush says NFL's Washington Redskins name not offensive Updated: Sep-30-15 6:43 pm
MIAMI - Delving into a decades-long controversy, Republican presidential candidate Jeb Bush said the name of the Washington Redskins football team is not offensive to Native Americans.
- Event marks Dearborn neighborhood's historic designation Updated: Sep-30-15 9:52 am
DEARBORN, Michigan - A celebration is planned for a Dearborn neighborhood that's been added to the National Register of Historic Places.
- National Register of Historic Places adds 5 from Oklahoma Updated: Sep-25-15 3:55 am
OKLAHOMA CITY, Oklahoma - The Oklahoma Historical Society has announced five new additions in the state to the National Register of Historic Places.
- Pope Francis warns US bishops against 'divisive' language Updated: Sep-23-15 9:46 pm
Pope Francis told U.S. bishops on Wednesday they should avoid "harsh and divisive" language and create a church with the warmth of a "family fire" as he laid out a vision for American Catholicism far from the defensive stands on social issues that have put church leaders at the center of the culture wars.
- Experts and locals scrambling to document Syria's heritage Updated: Sep-23-15 2:38 am
BEIRUT - Scientists are slipping 3-D cameras into Syria to local activists and residents to scan antiquities. A U.S.-funded project aims to provide local conservators with resources to help safeguard relics. Inside Syria, volunteers scramble to document damage to monuments and confirm what remains.
- 2 SD parks added to National Register of Historic Places Updated: Sep-21-15 7:43 pm
SIOUX FALLS, South Dakota - Two Sioux Falls parks have been added to the National Register of Historic Places.
- Meeting to discuss Portsmouth historic district Updated: Sep-20-15 12:30 pm
PORTSMOUTH, New Hampshire - A downtown historic district in Portsmouth is under consideration for listing on the National Register of Historic Places.
- 40th annual Scottish festival in high gear this weekend Updated: Sep-19-15 1:20 pm
LINCOLN, New Hampshire - The 40th annual New Hampshire Highland Games and Festival is filling Loon Mountain with traditional dance, music and athletic competitions.
- State Historic Preservation Office seeks public comment Updated: Sep-15-15 2:16 am
PIERRE, South Dakota - The State Historic Preservation Office is seeking public comment on preservation needs and projects through Oct. 31.
- Scant sympathy for refugees in Europe's ex-communist east Updated: Sep-11-15 11:04 am
RIGA, Latvia - When Latvia last month decided to accept 250 of the tens of thousands of refugees seeking shelter in Europe, hundreds of protesters including elderly people and families with children rallied outside Parliament with placards warning that the foreigners would bring doom upon the Baltic country. A smattering of slogans spoke darkly of a threat to "white nations."
- Paris Egypt exhibit holds defiant message for Islamic State Updated: Sep-10-15 2:27 pm
PARIS - French President Francois Hollande and archaeological officials have used an exhibit in Paris of two preserved ancient Egyptian cities as a defiant example that the world will not be cowed by Islamic State militants who recently destroyed ancient Syrian heritage sites in Palmyra and killed a local archaeologist.
- Pope will find US church struggling to hold onto Latinos Updated: Sep-09-15 4:57 pm
GAINESVILLE, Georgia - The St. John Paul II Pastoral Center, a Roman Catholic mission, sits at the rough end of a former strip mall in the shadow of an Arby's. The space, church leaders say, was once used as a nightclub and movie theater, a history now hidden by multiple coats of paint, pews brought in from other congregations, and a stone-and-wood shrine to Our Lady of Guadalupe, the patroness of the Americas especially revered by Mexicans.
- Asheville council approves historic preservation plan Updated: Sep-09-15 3:47 pm
ASHEVILLE, North Carolina - The Asheville City Council has voted unanimously to establish a plan to preserve historic buildings in the city and in Buncombe County.
- W.Va. Black Heritage Festival features food, fun and culture Updated: Sep-05-15 9:31 am
CLARKSBURG, West Virginia - When Angela Jennings began quizzing her straight-A nephew about black history, she was surprised at how little he knew.