- Community Foundation for Southeast Michigan awards $26M Updated: Jun-29-15 9:14 am
DETROIT - The Community Foundation for Southeast Michigan has approved grants totaling more than $26 million.
- Golf tournament raises $1.5 million for charity Updated: Jun-29-15 7:01 am
CROMWELL, Connecticut - Travelers says the just concluded Travelers Championship golf tournament in Cromwell generated more than $1.5 million for charity.
- Boston Bar Foundation awards $950k for legal help to poor Updated: Jun-28-15 6:47 pm
BOSTON - The Boston Bar Foundation has awarded $950,000 in grants to 23 community organizations that work to provide legal services to low-income people.
- $1.8M estate gift benefits UW education students Updated: Jun-28-15 3:43 pm
LARAMIE, Wyoming - The University of Wyoming is receiving an estate gift of $1.8 million from former educator Raymond D. Kennedy, of Laramie.
- Donors raise $71K so far for Niobrara County flood victims Updated: Jun-28-15 3:32 pm
CASPER, Wyoming - The Niobrara Recovery Committee has raised over $71,500 and distributed about $38,800 of that to businesses and homeowners directly affected by the June 4 flood.
- Fundraising almost complete for Cedar Falls beach house Updated: Jun-28-15 11:38 am
CEDAR FALLS, Iowa - It's built like a brick ... beach house. Well, actually, it's concrete block.
- Fireworks fund high school activities in at least 2 cities Updated: Jun-28-15 10:50 am
FLORENCE, Alabama - Fireworks stands have begun opening in areas that allow such sales around the Shoals.
- Pork donation to fill Iowa food pantry freezers Updated: Jun-27-15 6:17 pm
IOWA FALLS, Iowa - Iowa food pantries will benefit from a donation of about 44,000 pounds of fresh boneless pork loins being made by the Deb and Jeff Hansen Foundation and Iowa Select Farms.
- Arkansas animal shelter seeks donations to stay open Updated: Jun-27-15 2:20 pm
PARAGOULD, Arkansas - The director of a northeast Arkansas animal shelter says the operation could close without community donations.
- Musicians 'lend down a hand' at Down Syndrome fundraiser Updated: Jun-27-15 12:04 pm
JACKSON, Tennessee - Country stars from Nashville came to Jackson to support the Down Syndrome Association of West Tennessee with live performances at the Casey Jones Amphitheater.
- RI Community Food Bank launches its summer food drive Updated: Jun-27-15 9:37 am
PROVIDENCE, Rhode Island - The Rhode Island Community Food Bank has launched its summer food drive to collect 150,000 pounds of food.
- Travelers Championship a boon for Connecticut charities Updated: Jun-26-15 11:21 am
CROMWELL, Connecticut - Before the golfers begin their final round at the Travelers Championship on Sunday, 19-year-old Brittany Vose will lead a group of about 300 people on a seventh annual walk around the course to raise money for pancreatic cancer research.
- State auditor to review University of Louisville Foundation Updated: Jun-25-15 10:20 pm
LOUISVILLE, Kentucky - Kentucky Auditor Adam Edelen said Thursday his office will review the University of Louisville Foundation following complaints about huge deferred compensation packages the foundation awarded to the school's president and other top campus officials.
- Oklahoma Republicans bemoan Supreme court health care ruling Updated: Jun-25-15 7:01 pm
OKLAHOMA CITY - Oklahoma's ruling Republicans bemoaned the U.S. Supreme Court's decision to allow the federal tax subsidies in President Barack Obama's health care overhaul, but some of the nearly 90,000 Oklahomans who receive the subsidies to make health insurance more affordable welcomed the ruling.
- Savers stores agree to changes after sued by Minnesota AG Updated: Jun-25-15 12:13 pm
MINNEAPOLIS - The Savers thrift store chain has agreed to improve transparency and will not solicit non-clothing donations without compensating charities as part of a settlement with Minnesota Attorney General Lori Swanson.
- Kresge Foundation awards fellowships for Detroit artists Updated: Jun-25-15 9:32 am
DETROIT - The Kresge Foundation has awarded its annual fellowships for Detroit literary and visual artists.
- Eastern Missouri's Red Cross gets $5 million donation Updated: Jun-25-15 8:46 am
ST. LOUIS - The family of the founder of Enterprise Rent-A-Car is donating $5 million to the American Red Cross of Eastern Missouri.
- Pennsylvania community receives rare coin from donor Updated: Jun-24-15 2:43 pm
ZELIENOPLE, Pennsylvania - Officials in a community north of Pittsburgh are "oohing" and "ahhing" in advance of their Fourth of July fireworks display.
- Kellogg Foundation provides funds for job training programs Updated: Jun-24-15 12:56 pm
JACKSON, Mississippi - Mississippi's 15 community colleges are getting a $6 million donation to boost education and job training for adults who didn't graduate from high school.
- US Open donates 70,000 pounds of leftover food to food banks Updated: Jun-24-15 11:16 am
LAKEWOOD, Washington - Pierce County food banks and are bursting with food such as honey-baked hams and tri-tip steaks after the U.S. Open at Chambers Bay donated roughly 70,000 pounds of leftovers.
- East Lansing library gets overhaul after $1.5 million gift Updated: Jun-24-15 8:46 am
EAST LANSING, Michigan - The East Lansing Public Library is getting an overhaul following a $1.5 million gift from an anonymous donor.
- 3 foundations donate $1M to Birthplace of Country Music Updated: Jun-24-15 6:25 am
BRISTOL, Virginia - The Birthplace of Country Music expects to use a new $1 million donation for programming, exhibits, improvements and as a cash reserve.
- California district continues with deal with Saudi colleges Updated: Jun-24-15 6:19 am
SANTA ANA, California - A Southern California college district has tentatively approved a contract to serve as a consultant to two Saudi Arabia all-male technical colleges despite widespread criticism by faculty and others.
- Liquor board OKs new rules after Oktoberfest controversy Updated: Jun-23-15 5:32 pm
SALT LAKE CITY - Utah's liquor board approved more flexible rules for granting event permits Tuesday, a year after receiving intense criticism when board members considered denying a permit to serve beer at an annual Oktoberfest celebration.
- Nonprofit works to raise $1M to help train assistance dogs Updated: Jun-23-15 10:13 am
WAYLAND, Michigan - A Michigan-based nonprofit that raises and trains assistance dogs is working to haul in $1 million in one day to help train more dogs and keep up with increasing demand for the animals.