- Houston-area sheriff's deputy remembered during funeral Updated: Sep-04-15 5:40 pm
HOUSTON - Thousands of law enforcement officers stood at attention to form a wall Friday outside one of Houston's largest churches as a 21-gun salute and flyover by police helicopters were carried out in honor of a slain sheriff's deputy.
- Missouri trooper eulogized as focused, religious, ethical Updated: Sep-04-15 4:47 pm
DARDENNE PRAIRIE, Missouri - A 25-year-old Missouri State Highway Patrol trooper killed last week when his cruiser crashed while pursuing a motorcyclist was eulogized Friday as a gifted athlete and focused, budding law enforcer guided by fierce spirituality.
- Lost body, wrong corpse at viewing leads to lawsuit Updated: Sep-04-15 12:38 pm
COLUMBUS, Ohio - A family who says their deceased relative's body was misplaced and the wrong corpse displayed for a private viewing has sued a funeral company in Ohio.
- LL Bean stores in Freeport to close for leader's memorial Updated: Sep-04-15 12:22 pm
FREEPORT, Maine - The L.L. Bean flagship store that's open 24/7 year-round will close for the memorial service next weekend for longtime leader Leon Gorman, who died this week at age 80.
- Mandel remembered as architect of modern Maryland Updated: Sep-03-15 8:04 pm
PIKESVILLE, Maryland - Maryland politicians from both parties remembered former Gov. Marvin Mandel on Thursday for his lasting innovations to state government and his quiet but highly effective talent for politics.
- Funeral set for St. Paul firefighter who collapsed Updated: Sep-03-15 6:17 pm
ST. PAUL, Minnesota - A funeral has been scheduled for a St. Paul firefighter who collapsed at his fire station and died of cardiac arrest.
- Shootout at Los Angeles funeral leaves 1 critically injured Updated: Sep-02-15 10:49 pm
LOS ANGELES - A shootout at the Los Angeles funeral for a man killed in a gang attack has left one person critically wounded.
- Maine man killed in Afghanistan suicide attack laid to rest Updated: Sep-02-15 5:58 pm
EXETER, Maine - A civilian contractor who was killed in a suicide attack on a NATO convoy in Afghanistan was remembered Wednesday as a family man who served his community and defended his country.
- School shooter texted 'I'm sorry' to family before killings Updated: Sep-02-15 12:19 am
SEATTLE - Minutes before a Washington state high school freshman fatally shot four friends and then himself, he sent a group text message to his family outlining his funeral wishes and apologizing to the parents of the teenagers he was about to kill.
- The Latest: Funeral concludes for slain TV cameraman Updated: Sep-01-15 1:12 pm
ROANOKE, Virginia - The latest on the funeral for Adam Ward, the WDBJ-TV cameraman who was fatally shot by a former co-worker on live TV Wednesday in Moneta, Virginia (all times local):
- Latest on Texas deputy: Lawyer says man had mental illness Updated: Aug-31-15 8:02 pm
HOUSTON - Here are the latest developments regarding the fatal shooting of a suburban Houston sheriff's deputy (all times local):
- Memorial held in New York for Broadway actor who died at 21 Updated: Aug-31-15 7:52 pm
NEW YORK - Dozens of friends, colleagues and former classmates of a rising Broadway actor who had already made history at just 21 years old gathered in Central Park on Monday to mourn his accidental death.
- From creativity to corruption, Mandel was a political force Updated: Aug-31-15 5:19 pm
ANNAPOLIS, Maryland - A colorful and complex figure in Maryland politics, Marvin Mandel was seen by some as an innovator who reorganized state government to be more efficient. For others, he was forever stained by his conviction for selling the powers of office.
- Silence at Vatican funeral for ex-envoy in sexual abuse case Updated: Aug-31-15 2:03 pm
VATICAN CITY - Eight minutes of silence instead of a homily marked the Vatican funeral Monday of a former papal diplomat, whose trial on charges of possession of child pornography and sexual abuse of minors had begun this summer in a Holy See courtroom.
- Thousands mourn fallen firefighters in Washington state Updated: Aug-30-15 9:16 pm
WENATCHEE, Washington - Several thousand people gathered Sunday to honor three U.S. Forest Service firefighters killed battling wildfires in Washington state.
- Poland's mixed feelings over memorial to rescuers of Jews Updated: Aug-30-15 5:58 pm
WARSAW, Poland - As a Catholic Pole, Elka shouldn't even have been in the ghetto of Czestochowa, in southern Poland. But the nanny was so devoted to the 12-year-old Jewish boy she had raised since infancy that she refused to leave. She ended up being sent to the Treblinka death camp - where she was murdered with the Jews.
- Hundreds mourn slain 9-year-old Ferguson girl Updated: Aug-30-15 3:25 pm
ST. LOUIS - Hundreds gathered to remember a 9-year-old girl who was killed when shots were fired into her Ferguson home as she did homework on her mother's bed.
- Memorial service for 3 firefighters Sunday at 1 p.m. Updated: Aug-29-15 3:13 pm
WENATCHEE, Washington - A service for the three firefighters who died while battling the Okanogan complex of wildfires last week will be held at 1 p.m. Sunday at the Toyota Center in Wenatchee.
- Vatican: Heart attack killed ex-envoy charged with sex abuse Updated: Aug-29-15 11:46 am
VATICAN CITY - The former papal envoy to the Dominican Republic, who went on trial at the Holy See this summer for alleged sexual abuse of minors, died of a heart attack, according to initial autopsy results, the Vatican said Saturday.
- Emmett Till relatives gather at boy's grave 60 years later Updated: Aug-28-15 7:20 pm
ALSIP, Illinois - The legacy of the lynching of thousands of black people in America was recalled when the death 60 years ago in Mississippi of just one - Emmett Till - was commemorated Friday at his gravesite in a suburban Chicago cemetery.
- 29 to become citizens at DC's MLK memorial Updated: Aug-28-15 2:18 am
WASHINGTON - Twenty-nine people will become citizens during a ceremony at the Martin Luther King Jr. memorial in Washington.
- Slain security guard remembered as 'incredible human being' Updated: Aug-27-15 11:19 pm
NEW YORK - A security guard who was killed on the job at a federal government office building last week was a loving person and "incredible human being" whose death has been a terrible blow to his fellow guards, more than 200 mourners were told at a memorial service Thursday night for Idrissa Camara.
- Service Saturday for teen who died in fire escape fall Updated: Aug-27-15 1:28 pm
MINNEAPOLIS - A memorial service will be held this weekend in Minneapolis for a teenage boy who fell to his death from a fire escape.
- Slain labor commissioner's body lies in repose at Capitol Updated: Aug-27-15 11:28 am
OKLAHOMA CITY - Oklahoma Labor Commissioner Mark Costello's body is lying in repose in the second-floor rotunda of the state Capitol.
- Italy police keep peace at memorial for gangster clan head Updated: Aug-26-15 12:29 pm
ROME - Police formed human chains to keep the peace Wednesday outside a discreet memorial service for a local clan leader after his ostentatious funeral prompted complaints from lawmakers and even the Vatican newspaper that it glorified the mob.