- Egyptian policeman sentenced to 8 years over a vet death Updated: Feb-09-16 10:48 am
CAIRO - An Egyptian court on Tuesday sentenced a policeman to eight years in prison for beating a veterinarian to death, in a case that sparked public anger over rampant police abuses.
- Sushil Koirala, Nepal's former prime minister, dies at 78 Updated: Feb-09-16 8:14 am
KATHMANDU, Nepal - Sushil Koirala, a former Nepalese prime minister and leader of the nation's largest political party, has died in Kathmandu. He was 78.
- The Latest: Former Mayor Buddy Cianci laid to rest Updated: Feb-08-16 4:32 pm
PROVIDENCE, Rhode Island - The Latest on Buddy Cianci, the wisecracking politician who led the city of Providence during a turbulent and troubled six terms as mayor, being laid to rest (all times local):
- Providence says goodbye to colorful ex-Mayor Buddy Cianci Updated: Feb-08-16 3:30 pm
PROVIDENCE, Rhode Island - Providence said goodbye on Monday to former Mayor Buddy Cianci, the wisecracking king of one-liners who led the city during a turbulent and troubled six terms.
- Memorial service scheduled for slain Seaside police officer Updated: Feb-08-16 9:56 am
SEASIDE, Oregon - A memorial service has been scheduled for Sgt. Jason Goodding, the Seaside police officer killed while trying to make an arrest.
- NYC man killed by falling crane eulogized as generous, kind Updated: Feb-07-16 6:53 pm
NEW YORK - A pedestrian killed by a collapsing crane was eulogized Sunday as a man of kindness and generosity as the final remnants of the crumpled steel were removed from the Manhattan street where they fell.
- The Latest: NYC mayor issues construction crane safety plan Updated: Feb-07-16 3:20 pm
NEW YORK - The Latest on the collapse of a construction crane, which killed a pedestrian (all times local):
- Cliven Bundy talks grazing contracts at Finicum funeral Updated: Feb-07-16 2:59 pm
KANAB, Utah - Cliven Bundy spoke against grazing contracts Friday during a funeral for an Oregon occupation leader who urged ranchers to disavow their contracts with the government.
- Smoking materials likely cause of Flight 93 memorial fire Updated: Feb-06-16 7:04 pm
SHANKSVILLE, Pennsylvania - Discarded smoking material is strongly suspected as the cause of a 2014 fire that struck the Flight 93 National Memorial, according to a report released Saturday.
- Memorial for fallen law officers to be dedicated Feb. 13 Updated: Feb-06-16 3:55 am
SIERRA VISTA, Arizona - A Feb. 13 dedication is planned in Sierra Vista for a new memorial honoring law enforcement officers who died in the line of duty in Cochise County.
- Funeral held for jump shot pioneer Kenny Sailors Updated: Feb-05-16 11:46 pm
LARAMIE, Wyoming - Kenny Sailors, the college basketball Hall of Famer credited by some with being the first to use the modern jump shot, was remembered at his funeral as a deeply religious man who inspired others to always do their best.
- Political leaders attend Powers' funeral Updated: Feb-05-16 6:56 pm
LOUISVILLE, Kentucky - Bidding farewell to Georgia Davis Powers, her family, friends and admirers turned the civil-right icon's funeral into a celebration of a life that broke down barriers for women and African-Americans.
- 12 bus routes detoured for Buddy Cianci funeral Updated: Feb-05-16 12:54 pm
PROVIDENCE, Rhode Island - Twelve bus routes will be detoured and bus stops relocated to accommodate the funeral procession for former Providence Mayor Buddy Cianci.
- Upstate NY veterans to honor WWII's heroic Four Chaplains Updated: Feb-05-16 6:23 am
MECHANICVILLE, New York - A memorial event is being held at an upstate New York veterans organization to commemorate the sacrifices of a group of World War II Army clergymen known as the Four Chaplains.
- The Latest: Hundreds mourn slain 13-year-old at funeral Updated: Feb-04-16 7:44 pm
BLACKSBURG, Virginia - The Latest on charges against two Virginia Tech students in the death of a 13-year-old girl (all times local):
- State leaders pay tribute to Georgia Davis Powers Updated: Feb-04-16 6:59 pm
FRANKFORT, Kentucky - When Regena Thomas took office last decade as New Jersey's secretary of state, her thoughts turned to her mentor in Kentucky - civil rights icon and longtime state legislator Georgia Davis Powers.
- DA: Police fired 12 shots at man who fatally stabbed K-9 Updated: Feb-04-16 6:36 pm
PITTSBURGH - Prosecutors say Pittsburgh-area police shot 12 times at a man they killed after he fatally stabbed a police dog.
- The Latest: Political leaders join in tribute to Powers Updated: Feb-04-16 4:32 pm
FRANKFORT, Kentucky - The Latest on a memorial service in the Kentucky Capitol for Georgia Davis Powers, a civil-rights icon and the first African-American woman elected to the state Senate. (all times local):
- Celine Dion says late husband protected, grounded her Updated: Feb-04-16 3:22 pm
LAS VEGAS - Celine Dion's husband protected her from the gritty business details of her career as he struck the deals that defined her superstar status, including saying yes to her mega hit from "Titanic" when she wanted to say no.
- Indictment: Landfill redeveloper lied to get state contract Updated: Feb-03-16 2:23 pm
TRENTON, New Jersey - Authorities say a businessman lied to environmental officials to secure a contract to turn a contaminated landfill in northern New Jersey into a solar farm.
- VA medical center in Ohio honors 4 WWII chaplains Updated: Feb-03-16 7:33 am
DAYTON, Ohio - A public memorial service in southwest Ohio is honoring four U.S. Army chaplains who died while helping other soldiers in World War II.
- Funeral services Saturday for former football star Miller Updated: Feb-02-16 4:06 am
FULTON, Mississippi - Funeral services for former football star Maikhail Miller are set for Saturday.
- Memorial service remembers Lance Cpl. Ty Hart Updated: Feb-01-16 3:33 pm
STAYTON, Oregon - "How do you measure a man like Ty? Take a look around."
- Famed character actor Abe Vigoda recalled as a class act Updated: Feb-01-16 8:37 am
NEW YORK - Nobody who knew "The Godfather" and "Barney Miller" actor Abe Vigoda made mourners smile through their tears Sunday faster than comedian and friend Gilbert Gottfried.
- Funeral scheduled for Indianapolis principal struck by bus Updated: Feb-01-16 8:09 am
INDIANAPOLIS - Mourners are remembering an Indianapolis elementary school principal who was struck and killed by a school bus while pushing students to safety.