- Bear cub killed after hit by motorcycle, driver injured Updated: Apr-29-16 8:42 am
JEFFERSON TOWNSHIP, New Jersey - A motorcyclist was injured after hitting and killing a bear cub in New Jersey.
- Grizzly bears in Grand Teton Park attract onlookers Updated: Apr-28-16 4:39 pm
JACKSON, Wyoming - Newly emerged from their winter dens, grizzly bears are wandering out in the open in Grand Teton National Park, drawing crowds of wildlife watchers, photographers and others seeking a glimpse - from a safe distance.
- Grizzly bear monitoring project continues in Glacier park Updated: Apr-28-16 12:10 pm
WEST GLACIER, Montana - A long-term program to monitor grizzly bears in the Northern Continental Divide Ecosystem continues this summer in Glacier National Park.
- Man who hallucinated bear attack, caused havoc is sentenced Updated: Apr-27-16 4:46 am
ST. JOHNSBURY, Vermont - A Vermont man who caused havoc after a drug-induced hallucination led him to fear an imaginary bear attack will serve a minimum of two more years in prison.
- Correction: Alaska-Bear Mauling story Updated: Apr-26-16 4:08 pm
JUNEAU, Alaska - In stories April 20 and earlier about the mauling of a University of Alaska Southeast outdoors professor leading students in a mountaineering class, The Associated Press reported erroneously a student had to hike to a different area to get cell reception to call for help. Alaska State Troopers now say the student was seeking a satellite signal not cellphone reception.
- Grizzly bear known as 'Scarface' killed by hunter last fall Updated: Apr-26-16 9:59 am
BOZEMAN, Montana - Montana wildlife officials have confirmed that a grizzly bear known as "Scarface" to some Yellowstone National Park biologists and visitors was shot and killed during a confrontation with a hunter north of Gardiner last fall.
- Bear tranquilized, removed from upstate New York tree dies Updated: Apr-26-16 6:52 am
CORTLAND, New York - Officials say a bear that was tranquilized and pushed from a tree in upstate New York has died.
- Bear complaints up as hungry bruins emerge from mild winter Updated: Apr-25-16 4:49 pm
AUGUSTA, Maine - Maine's black bears are emerging from their dens earlier than normal after a mild winter and getting an early start on pawing through trash cans, bird feeders and food for livestock.
- Bear in the 'burbs: Cub sent packing after romp near homes Updated: Apr-25-16 1:39 pm
DUARTE, California - A bear cub seen rooting through garbage cans and wandering in a suburban Los Angeles County foothill community was captured and released back into the wild.
- Weight loss plans show results at Peoria-area wildlife park Updated: Apr-22-16 3:00 pm
HANNA CITY, Illinois - Wildlife Prairie Park is seeing promising results with the weight loss plans it implemented for many of the animals living at the facility outside of Peoria.
- Biologists trapping, tagging Yellowstone grizzlies in May Updated: Apr-22-16 11:16 am
BOZEMAN, Montana - Wildlife officials say they will begin trapping bears inside Yellowstone National Park in early May.
- Monroe the Bear gets a 'spa day' Updated: Apr-22-16 5:05 am
BLOOMINGTON, Indiana - Monroe the Bear just got treated to a makeover.
- Only US grizzly recovery coordinator retiring after 35 years Updated: Apr-21-16 2:42 pm
The nation's first and only grizzly bear recovery coordinator is stepping down after 35 years, saying the threatened species has recovered enough for him to retire.
- The Latest: Students airlifted amid fears of bear's return Updated: Apr-20-16 8:53 pm
JUNEAU, Alaska - The Latest on the mauling of a university professor in Alaska (all times local):
- Grizzly mauls bear hunter; hunting partner kills bear Updated: Apr-18-16 4:06 pm
ANCHORAGE, Alaska - A 77-year-old bear hunter is recovering from injuries suffered when he was mauled by a grizzly.
- Black bear sighting puts spotlight on Indiana readiness Updated: Apr-18-16 12:38 pm
INDIANAPOLIS - Wildlife officials in Indiana say they're not sure what they would do if they caught a black bear wandering the state's border with Michigan.
- 5-month-old polar bear cub makes her debut at Ohio zoo Updated: Apr-15-16 4:59 pm
COLUMBUS, Ohio - A 5-month-old female polar bear cub has made quite a playful debut at an Ohio zoo.
- Montana bear expert, advocate Chuck Jonkel dies at 85 Updated: Apr-14-16 8:02 pm
MISSOULA, Montana - Pioneering bear researcher and advocate Charles "Chuck" Jonkel died of natural causes at a Montana nursing home, his son Jamie Jonkel said.
- Wildlife officials mull consequences of delisting grizzlies Updated: Apr-14-16 2:56 pm
CODY, Wyoming - The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service is bracing for legal challenges as it prepares to remove the Yellowstone grizzly bear from the endangered species list.
- Lawsuit over Maine bear hunt referendum dismissed as moot Updated: Apr-14-16 2:11 pm
PORTLAND, Maine - Maine's highest court has rejected a lawsuit stemming from a failed referendum to ban bear hunting techniques deemed to be inhumane.
- Reno wildlife workers help 4 orphaned bear cubs Updated: Apr-14-16 11:13 am
RENO, Nevada - A Reno wildlife sanctuary is working to take care of four orphaned black bear cubs.
- Bears emerging early have run-ins with Montana residents Updated: Apr-13-16 3:02 pm
HELENA, Montana - The chicken-killer had been caught red-pawed, but because he was a first-time offender, he was released on his own recognizance.
- Pennsylvania man fined $18K for poaching deer, wildlife Updated: Apr-13-16 11:52 am
DEFIANCE, Pennsylvania - A western Pennsylvania man has been fined more than $18,000 for illegally killing more than 66 animals and collecting various illegal trophies, including dozens of flying squirrel tails, deer and bear skulls and owl talons.
- Bear that roamed into Indiana captured, killed in Michigan Updated: Apr-13-16 8:29 am
STEVENSVILLE, Michigan - A black bear that roamed into Indiana from southwestern Michigan last summer has been captured and euthanized after becoming aggressive and trying to get into homes, authorities said.
- Bear cub injured in brush fire recovering at Tampa zoo Updated: Apr-13-16 7:24 am
TAMPA, Florida - A bear cub that was rescued from a central Florida brush fire is recovering at Tampa's Lowry Park Zoo.