- Highway Patrols in 5 states ramp up for Sturgis rally Updated: Jul-31-15 7:53 am
BISMARCK, North Dakota - Highway Patrol troopers in states bordering western South Dakota are giving extra attention to traffic flocking to the Sturgis Motorcycle Rally.
- Zimbabwe: American lion killer's extradition being sought Updated: Jul-31-15 7:31 am
HARARE, Zimbabwe - Zimbabwe intends to seek the extradition of an American dentist who killed a lion that was lured out of a national park and shot with a bow and a gun, and the process has already begun, a Cabinet minister said Friday.
- 8 rescued after Indianapolis Zoo Skyline ride malfunctions Updated: Jul-31-15 7:10 am
INDIANAPOLIS - Eight people including at least three children have been rescued after the Indianapolis Zoo's Skyline ride left them stranded for about two hours in a cart 30 feet in the air.
- Balsams gets permission to withdraw water for snowmaking Updated: Jul-31-15 7:07 am
DIXVILLE, New Hampshire - Developers planning to restore a historic resort in the economically distressed North Country have received permission from the state to withdraw water from the Androscoggin River for snowmaking activities.
- MGM Resorts hires former Nevada congressman to brand casino Updated: Jul-31-15 6:19 am
LAS VEGAS - Former Nevada Congressman Steven Horsford is helping MGM Resorts International make sure the casino company keeps its word to Prince George's County officials and hires at least half its workforce for MGM National Harbor in Maryland from the county and contracts with minority-owned businesses.
- Motor City fast becoming Detroit Bike City Updated: Jul-31-15 4:15 am
DETROIT - They seem to be everywhere you look around the city: people on bikes.
- Big Orlando land deal fuels talk of new resort or theme park Updated: Jul-31-15 3:10 am
ORLANDO, Florida - One of the largest tracts of vacant land in Orlando's tourism corridor could soon have a new owner - fueling speculation about a new theme park, giant resort or convention hotel.
- New York streamlines process for buying hunting licenses Updated: Jul-31-15 3:10 am
ALBANY, New York - New York state environmental officials say they are streamlining the process for buying hunting licenses.
- Men charged with catching too many lobsters Updated: Jul-31-15 3:10 am
KEY WEST, Florida - A southwest Florida man and his adult sons are facing charges after wildlife officials say the men captured too many lobsters around the Keys.
- Ohio State Fair breaks opening day attendance record Updated: Jul-31-15 3:10 am
COLUMBUS, Ohio - The Ohio State Fair had a record-breaking opening day.
- Arctic-bound ship leaves Portland after oil drilling protest Updated: Jul-30-15 10:53 pm
PORTLAND, Oregon - A Royal Dutch Shell icebreaker that was the target of environmental protesters left Portland, Oregon, on Thursday bound for an Arctic drilling operation after a tense standoff ended with kayakers and activists who had dangled from a bridge to block its path.
- Alabama man gets second chance to build dream motorcycle Updated: Jul-30-15 7:44 pm
TUSCALOOSA, Alabama - "Perseverance" means the steady persistence in a course of action, especially in spite of difficulties, obstacles or discouragement. "Perseverance" is also the name of Tim Martin's Harley-Davidson Road Glide.
- Confederate flags left near Rev. Martin Luther King's church Updated: Jul-30-15 5:16 pm
ATLANTA - Police worked Thursday to identify two white males who were caught on surveillance camera laying Confederate battle flags neatly on the ground near the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr.'s church.
- Barnett Reservoir deer hunt draw begins Updated: Jul-30-15 4:33 pm
JACKSON, Mississippi - The Pearl River Valley Water Supply District begins taking applications Friday for deer hunts at Ross Barnett Reservoir.
- Waterloo whitewater, kayak park proposed to city officials Updated: Jul-30-15 3:57 pm
WATERLOO, Iowa - Plans were unveiled this week to Waterloo officials for a proposed $2.6 million whitewater park and kayak course along the east bank of the Cedar River in the city's downtown area.
- Springfield's historic sites see decline in visitors Updated: Jul-30-15 3:55 pm
SPRINGFIELD, Illinois - Despite an increase in tourism across Illinois last year, most of the historic sites in Springfield saw a decline in attendance during the first half of this year.
- Parents sue Las Vegas-area water park over boy's injuries Updated: Jul-30-15 3:28 pm
HENDERSON, Nevada - The parents of a 6-year-old boy who was pulled from a wave pool at a Las Vegas-area water park have filed a lawsuit claiming that the boy now has severe neurological impairments.
- Construction on culture center still years from completion Updated: Jul-30-15 2:34 pm
OKLAHOMA CITY - Officials estimate that construction on the planned American Indian Cultural Center and Museum in Oklahoma City is at least two years away from being finished.
- County, state fairs cut back harness racing in Illinois Updated: Jul-30-15 2:28 pm
DUQUOIN, Illinois - The decline of harness racing in Illinois continues as several county fairs and both state fairs reduce the number of racing days this summer amid the current state budget stalemate.
- Trump turns golf trip into extension of campaign trail Updated: Jul-30-15 1:55 pm
TURNBERRY, Scotland - Donald Trump turned a brief trip to a golf tournament in Scotland into an extension of his presidential campaign trail when he attended the Women's British Open at his plush Turnberry resort on Thursday.
- Grant to fund access for disabled at Shakepeare Festival Updated: Jul-30-15 1:28 pm
PORTLAND, Oregon - The Shakespeare Festival is spending a $250,000 grant on making a courtyard more accessible to people using wheelchairs, canes and walkers.
- Once endangered, peregrine falcons now thriving in Vermont Updated: Jul-30-15 12:26 pm
RUTLAND, Vermont - Once considered endangered, peregrine falcons are having a great year in Vermont.
- Wyoming Highway Patrol prepares for motorcycle rally traffic Updated: Jul-30-15 12:10 pm
CODY, Wyoming - Wyoming Highway Patrol is getting ready to handle increased motorcycle traffic during next week's 75th annual Sturgis Motorcycle Rally in South Dakota.
- Wildlife activist concern over oil on Uganda-Congo border Updated: Jul-30-15 7:37 am
KAMPALA, Uganda - Activists are urging Uganda's government to reverse a decision to open for oil drilling a wildlife park on Uganda's border with Congo.
- A Life Lesson: Children learn agriculture, taxes Updated: Jul-30-15 7:05 am
GILLETTE, Wyoming - Kids have a lot to worry about these days.