- For Tunisia, Nobel is good news in troubled, violent year Updated: Oct-10-15 2:57 pm
TUNIS, Tunisia - The leader of a Tunisian human rights group that was among the winners of this year's Nobel Peace Prize said the honor has meaning not just for his country but for all those mired in war.
- Belarusian Nobel winner says Lukashenko to be re-elected Updated: Oct-10-15 12:22 pm
BERLIN - Svetlana Alexievich, the Belarusian author who just won the Nobel Prize for literature, said Saturday there is no doubt Alexander Lukashenko will be re-elected president this weekend because the process is entirely under his control.
- Nobel Peace Prize boosts struggling Tunisian democracy Updated: Oct-09-15 4:09 pm
TUNIS, Tunisia - It was the fall of 2013 and Tunisia's newfound democracy was in grave danger. The assassination of a left-wing politician had prompted the opposition to walk out of the constitutional assembly. The government was paralyzed, the constitution unfinished and the country on the brink of war.
- GLANCE: Tunisia, Nobel winner, shines as Arab Spring success Updated: Oct-09-15 3:30 pm
The Nobel Peace Prize announced Friday pointed to the relative success of Tunisia in building toward democracy after a 2011 uprising ousted a longtime dictator. That makes it a resounding exception among the nations of the Arab Spring revolts.
- Correction: Nobel-Literature story Updated: Oct-09-15 2:14 pm
MINSK, Belarus - In an Oct. 8 story about the Nobel Prize for literature, The Associated Press erroneously reported that the prize had been awarded only twice for non-fiction prior to 2015, to Winston Churchill and Bertrand Russell. The prize also was awarded in 1902 to Christian Mommsen, most noted for his historical writing on Rome.
- In Belarus, opposition artists express dissent underground Updated: Oct-09-15 12:10 pm
MINSK, Belarus - Belarus' crippled political opposition has been cautious in its criticisms ahead of Sunday's presidential election. Not so the country's underground artists.
- Things to know about the Nobel Peace Prize winner Updated: Oct-09-15 9:12 am
The group with a cumbersome name and some unlikely partners played a determining role in pulling Tunisia from the edge of civil war - and guiding it to the doorstep of democracy. Here are some things to know about this year's winner of the Nobel Peace Prize:
- The Latest: Nobel chair hopes prize may be example to Libya Updated: Oct-09-15 8:51 am
OSLO, Norway - The latest developments in the awarding of the 2015 Nobel Peace Prize. All times local.
- 'Overwhelmed' Nobel peace winner describes Tunisia's danger Updated: Oct-09-15 7:10 am
TUNIS, Tunisia - A Tunisian labor leader at the forefront of a democracy movement that won the Nobel Peace Prize says he hopes it's a boon to his nation - and an example to the world.
- Winners of Nobel Peace Prize since 1980 Updated: Oct-09-15 5:11 am
OSLO, Norway - The 2015 Nobel Peace Prize was announced Friday. Here is a list of winners of the award since 1980:
- Excerpts from the works of Nobel winner Svetlana Alexievich Updated: Oct-08-15 1:59 pm
NEW YORK - Excerpts from the works of Svetlana Alexievich, winner Thursday of the Nobel Prize for literature:
- The Latest: Scholar wonders about Putin reaction to Nobel Updated: Oct-08-15 1:21 pm
STOCKHOLM - Latest news from the awarding of the Nobel Prize in literature.
- Trio wins Nobel Prize for mapping how cells fix DNA damage Updated: Oct-07-15 9:35 pm
STOCKHOLM - Tomas Lindahl was eating his breakfast in England on Wednesday when the call came - ostensibly, from the Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences. It occurred to him that this might be a hoax, but then the caller started speaking Swedish.
- Nobel Prize in literature: What to look out for Updated: Oct-07-15 1:05 pm
STOCKHOLM - On Thursday, the winner of this year's Nobel Prize in literature will be announced by the first ever female permanent secretary of the Swedish Academy, Sara Danius. Will the prize awarding body choose to honor the occasion by picking a female winner? Will it break new ground by giving the prize to a journalist? Or will it rush to bestow the coveted prize on one of the many aging favorites? The secretive academy drops no hints on whom they are considering but that doesn't stop literature buffs from guessing. Here is a look at some of the themes and potential candidates being mentioned in this year's speculation:
- Nobel Prize for key discoveries about subatomic particles Updated: Oct-06-15 4:16 pm
STOCKHOLM - Two scientists won the Nobel Prize in physics Tuesday for key discoveries about a cosmic particle that whizzes through space at nearly the speed of light, passing easily through Earth and even your body.
- Carter to mediate dispute over MLK Bible, Nobel Peace Prize Updated: Oct-05-15 9:54 pm
ATLANTA - Former President Jimmy Carter is stepping in to help resolve a legal battle over the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr.'s traveling Bible and 1964 Nobel Peace Prize.
- 3 share Nobel medicine prize for tropical disease drugs Updated: Oct-05-15 1:47 pm
STOCKHOLM - The Nobel prize in medicine went Monday to three scientists hailed as "heroes in the truest sense of the word" for saving millions of lives with the creation of the world's leading malaria-fighting drug and another that has nearly wiped out two devastating tropical diseases.
- The Latest: Discovery on golf course inspired Nobel winner Updated: Oct-05-15 8:47 am
STOCKHOLM - Latest developments in the announcement of the Nobel Prize in Medicine (all times local):
- Controversial Nobel Prize winners Updated: Oct-03-15 11:39 am
STOCKHOLM - It's just a prize, right? Maybe so, but the Nobel Prizes have a way of sparking ferocious debate about whether the winners were worthy or whether the judges' decisions were politically biased.
- Nobel official's behind-scenes book overshadows peace prize Updated: Oct-02-15 9:24 am
STAVANGER, Norway - A book detailing the secret tussles behind some of the most controversial Nobel Peace Prizes in the last quarter century is having its own disruptive effect on the 2015 award.
- Davis Guggenheim transformed by making 'Malala' documentary Updated: Sep-30-15 2:31 pm
LOS ANGELES - Davis Guggenheim has made movies about world leaders (Barack Obama, Al Gore) and rock stars (U2, Jimmy Page, Jack White), but it's his new film about a girl and her dad that affected him most.
- Exhibit to focus on life of Nobel Peace Prize winner Wiesel Updated: Sep-26-15 11:28 am
BOSTON - An exhibit dedicated to the life and work of Nobel laureate Elie Wiesel is set to open at Boston University.
- Nobel Peace Prize committee says former secretary broke vow Updated: Sep-21-15 2:33 pm
HELSINKI - The secretive Nobel Peace Prize committee has accused its former secretary of a breach of trust by revealing details about its proceedings in a book published last week.
- Nobel official: Obama peace prize didn't have desired effect Updated: Sep-16-15 4:27 pm
STAVANGER, Norway - In a break with Nobel tradition, the former secretary of the Nobel Peace Prize committee says the 2009 award to President Barack Obama failed to live up to the panel's expectations.
- Illinois group supporting Emanuel AME for peace prize Updated: Sep-16-15 4:01 am
CHARLESTON, South Carolina - A group from the largest township in Illinois is proposing that Emanuel AME Church and the City of Charleston receive the Nobel Peace Prize for the way the community handled the aftermath of the Charleston church shootings.