- Kentucky governor restores voting rights for some felons Updated: Nov-24-15 2:21 pm
FRANKFORT, Kentucky - About 15 years ago, Mantell Stevens spent 30 days in jail for drug possession. He has not been able to vote since then.
- Jennifer Donnals named Gov. Haslam's press secretary Updated: Nov-24-15 4:01 am
NASHVILLE, Tennessee - Jennifer Donnals has been named the new press secretary for Gov. Bill Haslam.
- 'School choice' community wary of new governor Edwards Updated: Nov-23-15 5:31 pm
BATON ROUGE, Louisiana - Gov.-elect John Bel Edwards' alliances with education unions and traditional public school leaders are drawing concern that Louisiana's next governor will seek to revisit legislative battles over charter schools and the state's voucher program.
- Edwards names team to lead transition to governor's office Updated: Nov-23-15 4:01 am
NEW ORLEANS - Gov.-elect John Bel Edwards has picked seven people to lead his transition into the governor's office.
- Sanders: 'Democratic socialism' means security, freedom Updated: Nov-19-15 4:20 pm
WASHINGTON - Democratic presidential candidate Bernie Sanders said Thursday that economic security is essential to Americans achieving true freedom, a central tenant in his political philosophy of "democratic socialism."
- Utah lawmakers defend trip to Switzerland Updated: Nov-19-15 11:51 am
SALT LAKE CITY - The vice chairman of the board of Utah Transit Authority has resigned after taking a controversial trip to Switzerland, although he says he stepped down for unrelated reasons.
- Schmidt declines bid for North Dakota governor's office Updated: Nov-18-15 6:05 pm
BISMARCK, North Dakota - Republican state Treasurer Kelly Schmidt says she has decided against a gubernatorial bid to succeed Gov. Jack Dalrymple, who is not seeking re-election in 2016.
- Kasich aides helped craft abortion restrictions Updated: Nov-18-15 1:43 pm
COLUMBUS, Ohio - Believing state legislators were solely responsible for abortion restrictions added to the 2013 budget bill, activists and editorialists across Ohio called on Gov. John Kasich to veto the provisions. What they didn't know at the time was that Kasich's office had a hand in developing some of the language.
- Groups sue Fallin's office over failure to produce records Updated: Nov-09-15 7:06 pm
OKLAHOMA CITY - An Oklahoma newspaper and a nursing home reform group sued Gov. Mary Fallin's office on Monday, claiming the governor is taking too long to respond to requests for documents under the state's Open Records Act.
- Governor: I'll call in National Guard to fight heroin abuse Updated: Nov-06-15 5:02 pm
PORTLAND, Maine - Maine's governor is threatening to call up the National Guard to fight an epidemic of heroin and other drugs if lawmakers don't hire more agents.
- LA mayor endorses, un-endorses and re-endorses Clinton Updated: Nov-05-15 8:40 pm
LOS ANGELES - Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti endorsed fellow Democrat Hillary Clinton for president. And then he didn't. And then he really did.
- Oklahoma governor appointment authority studied by lawmakers Updated: Nov-04-15 6:18 pm
OKLAHOMA CITY - Oklahoma lawmakers convened a legislative study Wednesday on expanding the governor's appointment authority to include the heads of state agencies and commissions, an idea critics said could make state government resemble the federal system and increase the influence of special interests.
- Ex-con former Bridgeport mayor wins comeback victory Updated: Nov-03-15 10:18 pm
BRIDGEPORT, Connecticut - An ex-convict who spent seven years in federal prison for corruption reclaimed the Bridgeport mayor's office Tuesday, completing a stunning comeback bid that tapped nostalgia for brighter days in Connecticut's largest city.
- Charlotte voters to pick city's 5th mayor in last 6 years Updated: Oct-31-15 5:09 pm
CHARLOTTE, North Carolina - The revolving door into the mayor's office in Charlotte will take another spin next week when voters choose that city's fifth chief executive in the last six years.
- San Diego to host inaugural World Beach Games in 2017 Updated: Oct-30-15 12:54 pm
WASHINGTON - San Diego will host the inaugural World Beach Games in 2017.
- Univ. of Richmond to hold presidential inauguration Updated: Oct-29-15 3:08 am
RICHMOND, Virginia - Ronald A. Crutcher is set to be inaugurated as the University of Richmond's 10th president.
- Governor's office tells Laurel to borrow for water system Updated: Oct-28-15 1:38 pm
LAUREL, Montana - Laurel leaders should take out a loan to pay the state's share of a new city water-intake system because the contingency funds meant for the project have been directed elsewhere, the governor's office said.
- Bergen County prosecutor says Christie plans to replace him Updated: Oct-27-15 3:09 pm
HACKENSACK, New Jersey - Gov. Chris Christie's office plans to replace a northern New Jersey prosecutor and has asked him when he plans to step down, the prosecutor said Tuesday.
- Obama puts White House light on diversity in American music Updated: Oct-27-15 4:36 am
WASHINGTON - Whether belting out lyrics to Al Green's "Let's Stay Together," leading a mournful congregation through "Amazing Grace," or tweeting his Spotify music playlist that includes Stevie Wonder and Nina Simone, President Barack Obama has shown that he's a pretty soulful guy.