- Decatur twins win award from governor Updated: Dec-19-13 6:24 pm
- Colorado Springs council overrides 3 budget vetoes Updated: Dec-19-13 1:37 pm
- Report: Policy allows governor to veto bias cases Updated: Dec-19-13 12:53 pm
- GOED to attend SHOT Show next month in Las Vegas Updated: Dec-19-13 5:19 am
- Panel: Cap Md. budget growth to 4 percent Updated: Dec-18-13 6:31 pm
- Judge who issued NSA ruling often bucks executive Updated: Dec-17-13 11:23 pm
- Tribe sues New Mexico over gaming negotiations Updated: Dec-17-13 5:25 pm
- Congress may be asked to join NY-NJ bridge probe Updated: Dec-16-13 7:34 pm
- Rice proposes lawsuit against Obama Updated: Dec-16-13 9:19 am
- Maine gov's office: Records requests overwhelm Updated: Dec-15-13 8:28 am
- Speaker to Obama: Jan. 28 for State of the Union Updated: Dec-13-13 1:50 pm
- State prison a sore spot in Utah's tech corridor Updated: Dec-11-13 6:32 pm
- Excerpts from recent Minnesota editorials Updated: Dec-11-13 3:34 pm
- Mead plan would speed Wyo. orphan well cleanup Updated: Dec-10-13 8:16 pm
- State responds to Cindy Hill's records lawsuit Updated: Dec-10-13 5:28 pm
- Colorado Editorial Roundup Updated: Dec-10-13 11:32 am
- Del. state offices closed in New Castle County Updated: Dec-10-13 7:14 am
- Washington's Inaugural Bible to be displayed Updated: Dec-09-13 1:04 am
- Correction: NY Corruption Commission story Updated: Dec-06-13 1:56 pm
- AP files open records lawsuits against NM governor Updated: Dec-05-13 5:06 pm
- Utah's state plane is no luxury jet Updated: Dec-05-13 2:06 pm
- Memorial Friday, funeral Saturday for Allain Updated: Dec-03-13 6:32 pm
- Suspicious letter at gov office had baby powder Updated: Dec-03-13 3:02 pm
- Ga. state officials warn of holiday DUI danger Updated: Dec-03-13 4:06 am
- Former Mississippi Gov. Bill Allain dies at 85 Updated: Dec-02-13 6:06 pm
DECATUR, Alabama - Spend a couple of minutes with paternal twins Tyler and Trevor Parrish and you forget both are in wheelchairs.
COLORADO SPRINGS, Colorado - The Colorado Springs City Council overrode three budget vetoes by Mayor Steve Bach, setting up a potential court challenge over the mayor's ability to move money within the budget.
SACRAMENTO, California - A long-secret policy allows California's governor to veto employment discrimination cases against public agencies without explanation or disclosure, a state legislative report has revealed.
PIERRE, South Dakota - The Governor's Office of Economic Development and a dozen communities will promote South Dakota next month during the Shooting, Hunting and Outdoor Trade (SHOT) Show in Las Vegas.
ANNAPOLIS, Maryland - A Maryland legislative panel on Wednesday recommended that budget spending be capped at 4 percent growth for the next fiscal year.
WASHINGTON - Richard Leon, the judge who declared that the National Security Agency's bulk collection of millions of Americans' telephone records is likely unconstitutional, has a long record of taking on executive branch actions.
ALBUQUERQUE, New Mexico - One of New Mexico's American Indian tribes is suing the state over failed negotiations concerning its gambling compact, alleging that Gov. Susana Martinez's administration is proposing to collect an illegal tax without providing the tribe with any benefits.
TRENTON, New Jersey - A New Jersey state lawmaker wants Congress to investigate the agency responsible for traffic jams caused by unannounced lane closings approaching the George Washington Bridge into New York City.
FLORENCE, South Carolina - U.S. Rep. Tom Rice is proposing that the House of Representatives sue the Obama administration for overstepping the powers of the executive branch.
AUGUSTA, Maine - A Maine legislative panel is examining whether to set a deadline for government officials to release documents sought under freedom-of-information laws, but those officials argue it can take months to fulfill such requests because of a bombardment of queries seeking hundreds of pages of records.
WASHINGTON - Mark your calendars: House Speaker John Boehner has invited President Barack Obama to deliver the State of the Union address on Jan. 28.
SALT LAKE CITY - The Utah State Prison's location in the middle of a bustling tech corridor near Salt Lake City could create a "lost opportunity" for business growth because it stands in the way of such a vibrant hub of commerce, a top economic official for the governor told lawmakers Wednesday.
Duluth News Tribune, Dec. 10
CHEYENNE, Wyoming - The governor's office released a proposal Tuesday to vastly speed up the rate at which Wyoming plugs and reclaims abandoned oil and gas wells.
CHEYENNE, Wyoming - Attorneys for the state contend Wyoming schools Superintendent Cindy Hill is not entitled to certain records and correspondence from the governor's office and the state Department of Education.
A sampling of recent editorials from Colorado newspapers:
WILMINGTON, Delaware - Delaware's governor says state offices in New Castle County are closed in anticipation of wintry weather.
AUSTIN, Texas - The Bible on which George Washington placed his hand the first time he took the oath of office as U.S. president will go on display for one-day only at the Lyndon B. Johnson Presidential Library in Austin.
ALBANY, New York - In a story Dec. 4 about New York's corruption commission, The Associated Press erroneously reported a power given to the governor under the Moreland Act. It authorizes creation of a commission to investigate the executive branch, not the legislative branch.
SANTA FE, New Mexico - The Associated Press filed lawsuits Thursday against Gov. Susana Martinez and administration agencies for refusing to release records about her work and travel schedules, cell phone calls and expenses of the security officers who travel with the governor.
PROVO, Utah - When you compare Utah's official airplanes that shuttle Gov. Gary Herbert around the state to the humongous jetliner that flies the President of the United States around it would be safe to say Utah's version is a compact car with a couple of extra features and that the president's plane is a Rolls-Royce.
JACKSON, Mississippi - A memorial service for former Mississippi Gov. Bill Allain will be held Friday at the state Capitol in Jackson, and the funeral will be Saturday in Natchez.
SPRINGFIELD, Illinois - State officials say a "suspicious letter" that caused an evacuation at Gov. Pat Quinn's constituent services office in Springfield contained baby powder.
ATLANTA - The Governor's Office of Highway Safety is reminding travelers to find a designated driver to curb alcohol-related crashes during the holiday season.
JACKSON, Mississippi - Former Mississippi Gov. Bill Allain, a Democrat who appointed significant numbers of women and minorities to government jobs and strengthened the executive branch by removing legislators from state boards, died Monday. He was 85.