- Obama focusing on condolences, not gun laws, in Oregon visit Updated: Oct-09-15 3:33 am
WASHINGTON - President Barack Obama is bringing words of comfort and sympathy to grieving families of victims of the shooting rampage in Roseburg, Oregon.
- Police: Multiple shots fired into Cleveland State apartment Updated: Oct-09-15 3:31 am
CLEVELAND - Cleveland police say they're looking for a suspect who fired numerous shots at an apartment building on the campus of Cleveland State University.
- 1 dead, 1 hurt in shooting outside Leesburg restaurant Updated: Oct-09-15 3:31 am
LEESBURG, Florida - Police say one person has been killed and another injured in a shooting outside a Bojangles' Famous Chicken 'n Biscuits restaurant in Leesburg.
- Accuser of officer acquitted of rape speaks out Updated: Oct-09-15 3:01 am
BOYNTON BEACH, Florida - The 21-year-old woman who accused a recently acquitted former Boynton Beach police officer of raping her says she is pushing ahead with a lawsuit against the former officer and the city she says condoned his behavior.
- Suspects in tantra teacher's death booked on murder warrants Updated: Oct-09-15 2:39 am
SAN FRANCISCO - Three young people suspected in the shooting death of a tantra yoga teacher in Northern California have been booked on murder warrants, police said Thursday.
- Death row in Texas gets its first new inmate of the year Updated: Oct-09-15 2:05 am
HOUSTON - Texas' death row is getting its first inmate of 2015, ending a 10-month hiatus in death sentences imposed by juries in the nation's most active capital punishment state.
- Boy, 15, charged in sexual assault of student in Kansas City Updated: Oct-09-15 1:57 am
KANSAS CITY, Missouri - A 15-year-old boy has been charged in the sexual assault of another student on the campus of the African-Centered College Preparatory Academy in Kansas City.
- Appeals court sides with California regents in UCLA attack Updated: Oct-09-15 1:25 am
LOS ANGELES - A state appeals court says a woman who was attacked by a classmate at UCLA cannot hold the university responsible.
- Memphis voters elect first white mayor since 1991 Updated: Oct-09-15 12:33 am
MEMPHIS, Tennessee - Incumbent A C Wharton Jr. conceded defeat in Memphis' mayoral election Thursday to a city council member who will become the city's first white mayor in nearly a quarter-century.
- City to pay $6.5M settlement to family of man shot by cop Updated: Oct-08-15 11:53 pm
NORTH CHARLESTON, South Carolina - City officials in South Carolina approved a $6.5 million settlement Thursday with the family of an unarmed black man fatally shot by a white police officer who was captured on cellphone video firing at the man's back as he ran away.
- LA school district suspends campus film shoots Updated: Oct-08-15 11:23 pm
LOS ANGELES - The Los Angeles Unified School District has temporarily banned movie and TV filming on campuses after a report that some shoots disrupted activities and damaged school equipment.
- Southern California woman guilty of killing husband Updated: Oct-08-15 11:00 pm
SAN DIEGO - A Southern California woman who claimed she accidentally shot her husband during an argument in their bedroom has been convicted of second-degree murder.
- US airman who thwarted French train attack stabbed in brawl Updated: Oct-08-15 9:42 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - Airman 1st Class Spencer Stone, celebrated as a hero for helping to stop a terror attack on a French train over the summer, was stabbed and seriously wounded outside a bar in his hometown early Thursday in what police said was an alcohol-related brawl.
- 2 suspects arrested in killings of 3 in Beeville Updated: Oct-08-15 9:21 pm
BEEVILLE, Texas - Two men have been arrested and charged with murder in the fatal shooting of two men and a woman at a South Texas home.
- Man found fatally shot in Capitol Heights Updated: Oct-08-15 8:59 pm
CAPITOL HEIGHTS, Maryland - Prince George's County Police say a man was found fatally shot near his home in Capital Heights.
- Man charged with raping fiancee's 12-year-old daughter Updated: Oct-08-15 8:50 pm
SHARPSBURG, Georgia - Police say a man recently released from a Georgia prison has been charged with raping his fiancee's 12-year-old daughter.
- Seattle Police: Man shot in leg in Rainier Valley Updated: Oct-08-15 8:23 pm
SEATTLE - Seattle police say they are investigating after a 24-year-old man was shot in the leg in Rainier Valley.
- Man indicted in August slaying in Salisbury Updated: Oct-08-15 8:17 pm
SALISBURY, Maryland - Maryland State Police say a man has been indicted on murder charges in the fatally shooting of a man in Salisbury.
- The Latest: Airman who helped stop train attack called tough Updated: Oct-08-15 8:13 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - The latest on the stabbing of a U.S. airman who helped stop a gunman on a French passenger train (all times local):
- Authorities:Phoenix man arrested in 1992 murder case in Ohio Updated: Oct-08-15 8:04 pm
PHOENIX - Authorities say a Phoenix man has been arrested in connection with a 1992 murder case in Ohio.
- Sheriff's office withdrawing from accrediting agency Updated: Oct-08-15 7:59 pm
TULSA, Oklahoma - An embattled Oklahoma sheriff's office said it has withdrawn from a national law enforcement accrediting agency after its sheriff was indicted by a grand jury called to investigate the agency after a volunteer deputy fatally shot an unarmed man in April.
- Reno police arrest man in killing of mother after standoff Updated: Oct-08-15 7:54 pm
RENO, Nevada - A man who kept a Reno police SWAT team at bay in an armed standoff in Stead has been arrested as a suspect in the killing of his 72-year-old mother.
- Authorities release 911 calls in Phoenix freeway shootings Updated: Oct-08-15 7:24 pm
PHOENIX - Authorities on Thursday released audio from 911 calls made by people whose cars were hit by bullets during a string of Phoenix freeway shootings.
- Judge agrees to delay trial in Las Vegas 'road rage' case Updated: Oct-08-15 7:20 pm
LAS VEGAS - A Nevada judge made it clear Thursday that he was angry to have to postpone a closely watched murder and conspiracy trial for two co-defendants charged with killing a Las Vegas mom in a shootout in a neighborhood cul-de-sac.
- NY judge awards $2.5M in disabled woman's sex assaults Updated: Oct-08-15 6:54 pm
ALBANY, New York - A New York judge on Thursday awarded $2.5 million to the estate of a disabled woman who was sexually assaulted multiple times in 2009 at a state group home in Orange County.