- Newberry salon owner killed; 1 arrested Updated: Aug-27-15 6:11 pm
NEWBERRY, South Carolina - Police are investigating the death of a hair salon owner in Newberry.
- Prosecutors: Lottery scam leader deserves severe sentence Updated: Aug-27-15 6:11 pm
BISMARCK, North Dakota - U.S. prosecutors say the sentence for a man convicted in North Dakota of leading a Jamaican lottery scam should reflect the "severe mental anguish" he caused his victims.
- Judge OKs questioning of jurors in capital case Updated: Aug-27-15 6:02 pm
ATHENS, Alabama - A judge says defense lawyers alleging juror misconduct can question members of the panel that convicted a north Alabama man of capital murder earlier this year.
- Memories, tears mark newscast a day after on-air shootings Updated: Aug-27-15 5:59 pm
ROANOKE, Virginia - The colleagues of two journalists shot to death on live television returned to their morning show Thursday with memories, tears and a determination to carry on.
- Woman dies after former boyfriend shot her during rampage Updated: Aug-27-15 5:50 pm
ATHENS, Georgia - Authorities say a woman has died after she was shot by her former boyfriend during a rampage in northeast Georgia.
- Virginia shootings make for tough media decisions Updated: Aug-27-15 5:48 pm
NEW YORK - In an era when anyone can go online and find video of terrorist beheadings, police shootings and other carnage, major news organizations applied their own standards to coverage of this week's killing of a TV news crew in Virginia and showed only carefully selected portions of the footage.
- On-air shooter threatened to make 'headlines,' showed anger Updated: Aug-27-15 5:45 pm
MONETA, Virginia - On the day he was fired from a Virginia TV station, Vester Flanagan pressed a wooden cross into his boss' hand as two police officers walked him to the door. "You'll need this," he said.
- Teen charged in death of 12-year-old neighbor due in court Updated: Aug-27-15 5:43 pm
SALT LAKE CITY - A teenager charged with luring a 12-year-old neighbor from her home and killing her is set to appear in court Thursday.
- Oklahoma court affirms life sentence in missing wife's death Updated: Aug-27-15 5:40 pm
OKLAHOMA CITY - The Oklahoma Court of Criminal Appeals has upheld the life prison sentence of a 42-year-old man convicted of killing his wife.
- Sentencing continues for case related to troopers' deaths Updated: Aug-27-15 5:26 pm
FAIRBANKS, Alaska - The sentencing hearing for a man convicted of evidence tampering in the deaths of two Alaska State Troopers will be continued next week.
- Man charged in death of 9-year-old girl in Ferguson Updated: Aug-27-15 5:17 pm
ST. LOUIS - A suburban St. Louis man was charged Thursday with killing a 9-year-old girl who was sitting on her mother's bed doing her homework when shots were fired into her home.
- Father punches man being sentenced for daughter's slaying Updated: Aug-27-15 5:16 pm
DETROIT - A father punched a man being sentenced for the beating death of his 3-year-old daughter.
- Defense in Memphis officer shooting can't get evidence yet Updated: Aug-27-15 5:03 pm
MEMPHIS, Tennessee - A judge says defense attorneys for a man charged with killing a Memphis police officer cannot receive video evidence and the officer's daily activities log from the police department ahead of a preliminary hearing.
- Records: Parents of slain Ohio boys rejected state care plan Updated: Aug-27-15 4:58 pm
BELLEFONTAINE, Ohio - Records show the parents of three young boys whose mother is suspected of suffocating them rejected Ohio's care plan for the family earlier this year.
- Off-duty Houston officer shoots combative hospital patient Updated: Aug-27-15 4:57 pm
HOUSTON - A combative patient at St. Joseph Medical Center was shot and critically wounded Thursday during a fight with two off-duty police officers who were hurt while struggling to subdue him, a hospital official said.
- With 2 killings this week, Louisiana police deaths rising Updated: Aug-27-15 4:55 pm
BATON ROUGE, Louisiana - Police badges in Louisiana are banded with black ribbons more than usual this year, a grim reminder that officer deaths are on the rise with two killings just this week alone.
- Slain TV reporter, cameraman were eager young journalists Updated: Aug-27-15 4:54 pm
ROANOKE, Virginia - Alison Parker seemed destined for the anchor chair. Adam Ward was upbeat, the kind of cameraman everyone wanted to work with in the wee hours of the morning.
- Deliberations begin in New Hampshire prep school rape trial Updated: Aug-27-15 4:52 pm
CONCORD, New Hampshire - Jurors deliberating the fate of a former prep school senior charged with raping a freshman were left to decide Thursday who was more credible: the defendant, who credited "divine inspiration" with helping him end their escalating sexual encounter, or the accuser, who couldn't recall telling a friend what sex acts she was prepared to perform.
- Board punts decision on embattled Albuquerque schools chief Updated: Aug-27-15 4:41 pm
ALBUQUERQUE, New Mexico - The new but embattled superintendent of New Mexico's largest school district has been granted a reprieve after school board members put off making a decision Thursday regarding his future at the helm of the troubled district.
- Guilty verdict in Lowndes County murder trial Updated: Aug-27-15 4:38 pm
COLUMBUS, Mississippi - A Lowndes County jury has convicted a Columbus man of murder and aggravated assault in a 2014 shooting inside the coliseum at the local fairgrounds that left one person dead and another injured.
- Indiana doctor charged in 3 deaths gives up license for now Updated: Aug-27-15 4:33 pm
INDIANAPOLIS - The Indiana Medical Licensing Board has temporarily suspended the license of a doctor who's facing criminal charges alleging he overprescribed prescription painkillers that resulted in three deaths.
- Man charged in Jewish site deaths: Judge denying fair trial Updated: Aug-27-15 4:32 pm
OLATHE, Kansas - A man accused of killing three people at two Kansas Jewish sites has been ordered to begin his defense this week, but it's unclear how much evidence he will be allowed to submit.
- Anchor's shock at live TV slayings shifts to poise, strength Updated: Aug-27-15 4:32 pm
ROANOKE, Virginia - The wide-eyed, open-mouthed look of shock on the face of WDBJ-TV anchor Kim McBroom was seen worldwide after her two co-workers were fatally shot on live television. But as her grieving newsroom went back to work, and she showed poise and strength Thursday as the on-camera leader of a team that refused to give in.
- Hostage standoff ends with officer shooting armed suspect Updated: Aug-27-15 4:20 pm
SALT LAKE CITY - A suicidal man holding his wife and three small children hostage was fatally shot Wednesday in West Jordan when an officer climbed a ladder, stepped through a second floor window and stood between the kids and the armed suspect, police said.
- Helena man pleads not guilty in child's death Updated: Aug-27-15 4:13 pm
HELENA, Montana - A 25-year-old Helena man has pleaded not guilty to deliberate homicide in the death of his girlfriend's 2-year-old daughter.