- Phoenix police: Homicide suspect surrenders in Nogales Updated: May-06-15 2:38 pm
PHOENIX - Phoenix police say a man sought in the shooting death of his 18-year-old nephew has surrendered at a U.S.-Mexico border crossing station in Nogales.
- Exterminator goes on trial in Philadelphia doctor's death Updated: May-06-15 2:37 pm
PHILADELPHIA - A pediatrician researching tuberculosis, HIV and other infectious diseases was strangled by an exterminator after she questioned his work and was then tied up with equestrian gear and set on fire, a prosecutor said Wednesday in opening statements at his murder trial.
- Danish intelligence chief resigns before gun attack report Updated: May-06-15 2:37 pm
COPENHAGEN, Denmark - The head of Denmark's intelligence agency announced his resignation on Wednesday, hours before a government report was released criticizing some parts of the police response to the two fatal shooting attacks in Copenhagen in February.
- Relative: Mom charged with killing daughter cared for her Updated: May-06-15 2:37 pm
CLEVELAND - A woman charged with killing her adult daughter and dumping her body in a field raised three girls alone after her husband died and cared for her daughter very much, a relative said Wednesday.
- Wife testifies in husband's trial in Ashdown couple's deaths Updated: May-06-15 2:19 pm
ASHDOWN, Arkansas - A wife has testified in the murder trial of her husband in the 1997 deaths of an Ashdown couple and attempted killing of their baby.
- Latest on Texas attack: White House: Group's claim studied Updated: May-06-15 2:10 pm
1 p.m. CDT
- Hearing held for former Inkster officer in motorist beating Updated: May-06-15 2:10 pm
INKSTER, Michigan - A judge has scheduled a probable cause hearing for a police officer charged in the beating of a black motorist following a traffic stop in the Detroit suburb of Inkster.
- No charges in shooting death of man who was strangling woman Updated: May-06-15 2:04 pm
EUGENE, Oregon - Prosecutors won't be charging the 70-year-old Oregon man who shot and killed his friend to stop him from strangling a woman.
- Branstad denies Iowa inmates' requests for less prison time Updated: May-06-15 1:50 pm
DES MOINES, Iowa - Iowa Gov. Terry Branstad has denied five inmates' requests to lessen the long prison terms they are now serving.
- Marshall RB Steward Butler charged in beating of 2 gay men Updated: May-06-15 1:45 pm
HUNTINGTON, West Virginia - Marshall athletic director Mike Hamrick says backup running back Steward Butler has been suspended following his arrest in the beating of two gay men.
- Judge officially informs Gary man he faces the death penalty Updated: May-06-15 1:44 pm
CROWN POINT, Indiana - A northwestern Indiana judge has formally informed a Gary man charged in the slayings of two women and suspected in the deaths of five others that the state plans to seek the death penalty.
- Attorney: Suspect in son's dismemberment is 'doting' mother Updated: May-06-15 1:43 pm
MOUNT CLEMENS, Michigan - The defense attorney for a Michigan woman charged in her adult son's murder and dismemberment has described her to a jury as a doting mother.
- Waukegan to pay $7.5M to man wrongfully convicted of murder Updated: May-06-15 1:40 pm
WAUKEGAN, Illinois - The Waukegan City Council has voted to approve a $7.5 million settlement of a lawsuit filed by an Illinois man who wrongfully served nearly 20 years in prison for the 1992 rape and murder of an 11-year-old Waukegan girl.
- DA: Sheriff's story raises questions about shooting of woman Updated: May-06-15 1:31 pm
ATLANTA - A prosecutor says he has fundamental questions about a Georgia sheriff's account of conducting "police training exercises" when he accidentally shot a female real estate agent inside a model home for sale in a subdivision well outside his jurisdiction.
- Man charged in crash death convicted of reckless driving Updated: May-06-15 1:31 pm
LEXINGTON, Nebraska - A 45-year-old Overton man has taken a plea deal and been convicted in the crash death of a 63-year-old woman near Cozad last summer.
- Macedonia: 38 police, 1 protester hurt in overnight clashes Updated: May-06-15 1:25 pm
SKOPJE, Macedonia - Violent clashes overnight between protesters and police in the Macedonian capital Skopje left 38 officers and one protester injured, while 30 people were detained, authorities said Wednesday.
- Pa. officer charged with homicide in high-speed chase crash Updated: May-06-15 1:14 pm
NESQUEHONING, Pennsylvania - A northeastern Pennsylvania police officer faces charges of homicide by vehicle and involuntary manslaughter for an on-duty crash a year ago during which investigators say he reached speeds of more than 110 mph.
- Jurors convict man of killing Chicago officer, ex-official Updated: May-06-15 1:10 pm
CHICAGO - Jurors in Chicago have convicted a 24-year-old man in the shooting deaths of a Chicago police officer and a former Chicago Housing Authority official.
- AP EXPLAINS: What's next for jury in missing NYC boy case? Updated: May-06-15 12:52 pm
NEW YORK - The haunting case of missing first-grader Etan Patz has endured for almost four decades - and deliberations in the long-awaited murder trial stemming from his 1979 disappearance are enduring extraordinarily long, too.
- Governor lifts state of emergency for Baltimore Updated: May-06-15 12:46 pm
BALTIMORE - The mayor called on federal investigators Wednesday to look into whether this city's beleaguered police department uses a pattern of excessive force or discriminatory policing.
- Missouri woman pleads guilty in relatives' poisoning deaths Updated: May-06-15 12:44 pm
SPRINGFIELD, Missouri - A Missouri woman has admitted that she plotted with her mother to fatally poison her brother and father using antifreeze, and that she attempted to kill her sister the same way.
- Portland seeks $2 million grant to tackle rape kit backlog Updated: May-06-15 12:34 pm
PORTLAND, Oregon - About half of the rape kits collected by Portland police during a 29-year span have never been submitted to the state crime lab for testing.
- Beaufort County deputies investigate apparent homicide Updated: May-06-15 12:25 pm
OKATIE, South Carolina - Authorities in Beaufort County have released the name of a man who was shot in a homicide on the mainland side of Hilton Head Island.
- Truck driver seeks to withdraw plea in fatal 2014 crash Updated: May-06-15 12:22 pm
EASTON, Pennsylvania - A tractor-trailer driver sentenced to prison in a fiery fatal crash on Interstate 78 in northeastern Pennsylvania is asking a judge to allow him to withdraw his plea, citing medication he was taking.
- Trial of Iowan whose dog mauled girl set to begin Updated: May-06-15 11:46 am
NEWTON, Iowa - The trial of a Prairie City woman facing charges stemming from her dog's fatal attack on a 4-year-old girl is set to begin.