- Hartford government again in turmoil, with new resignations Updated: May-04-16 8:22 am
HARTFORD, South Dakota - What was supposed to be a new era for city government in Hartford has instead begun with more disorder.
- Ex minister nominated to head 2018 Pyeongchang Winter Games Updated: May-04-16 5:55 am
SEOUL, South Korea - South Korean organizers have officially selected former government minister Lee Hee-beom as the new head of the 2018 Winter Olympics in Pyeongchang.
- The Latest: Mattiello: Lawmaker resigned amid federal probe Updated: May-03-16 4:46 pm
PROVIDENCE, Rhode Island - The Latest on the resignation of Rhode Island House Finance Committee Chairman Raymond Gallison (all times local):
- House finance committee chair quits amid budget talks Updated: May-03-16 3:59 pm
PROVIDENCE, Rhode Island - The chairman of Rhode Island's powerful House finance committee has resigned, but his lawyer wouldn't say why even as Gov. Gina Raimondo suggested there was trouble and referred questions about him to state police.
- Attorney general's office wants Hershey School board changes Updated: May-03-16 11:08 am
HERSHEY, Pennsylvania - The state attorney general's office is seeking the resignation of three board members at the Milton Hershey School for disadvantaged children over concerns the board may be violating terms of a 2013 settlement.
- Candidate running despite old unpaid campaign violation fine Updated: May-02-16 3:55 pm
BELLEVUE, Nebraska - A Bellevue businessman who has yet to pay a campaign violation fine is back on a public ballot as a candidate for City Council in the Omaha suburb.
- Arkansas governor's top aide departing at end of month Updated: May-02-16 2:16 pm
LITTLE ROCK, Arkansas - Former state Sen. Michael Lamoureux is stepping down as Gov. Asa Hutchinson's chief of staff at the end of this month, the Republican governor's office announced Monday.
- Kansas House approves changes in judicial selection process Updated: May-01-16 1:42 am
TOPEKA, Kansas - A proposal approved in the Kansas House would give the secretary of state a role in how the nine-member commission that names three finalists for each high court vacancy elects its members.
- South Africa: Opposition leader warns president to step down Updated: Apr-30-16 3:05 pm
JOHANNESBURG - Fiery South African opposition politician Julius Malema told 40,000 cheering supporters that President Jacob Zuma should step down before the army turns on him because of the corruption allegations against him.
- San Francisco chief releases racist texts, orders training Updated: Apr-29-16 5:04 pm
SAN FRANCISCO - San Francisco's police chief said Friday that he has ordered that all officers finish an anti-harassment class within the next month amid a racist texting scandal that has rocked the department already dogged by fatal shootings of unarmed minority suspects.
- 4 finalists chosen for Rhode Island College president's job Updated: Apr-29-16 4:46 pm
PROVIDENCE, Rhode Island - The search committee for the president of Rhode Island College has recommended four finalists to the Council on Postsecondary Education.
- Stutzman, Young near end of biting GOP Senate campaign Updated: Apr-29-16 2:08 pm
INDIANAPOLIS - The farmer versus the U.S. Marine - those are the wholesome self-portraits the two candidates seeking Indiana's Republican nomination for U.S. Senate have tried their best to paint for voters ahead of Tuesday's primary election.
- Sisters to pay problematic former city manager $100,000 Updated: Apr-29-16 11:24 am
SISTERS, Oregon - Sisters has agreed to pay a former city manager who was the subject of a number of complaints a severance package worth $100,000.
- State representative resigning to run Mississippi AARP group Updated: Apr-28-16 4:14 pm
JACKSON, Mississippi - A state representative is leaving the Legislature to lead the Mississippi chapter of the AARP.
- Judge pleads no contest, gets probation, must resign Updated: Apr-27-16 3:37 pm
YORK, Pennsylvania - A suspended central Pennsylvania district judge accused of having groped a woman who appeared in his courtroom has pleaded no contest to an official oppression count.
- Oregon nurse pleads not guilty to sexually abusing patients Updated: Apr-27-16 1:22 pm
HILLSBORO, Oregon - A man accused of sexually abusing patients while working as a nurse at a Beaverton clinic has pleaded not guilty.
- Gov. Brown fires Oregon Lottery director Updated: Apr-27-16 5:56 am
PORTLAND, Oregon - Oregon Lottery Director Jack Roberts was fired by Gov. Kate Brown on Tuesday over what the governor's office called "management problems."
- Reaction after jury deadlocks on key charges against auditor Updated: Apr-26-16 7:35 pm
TACOMA, Washington - A jury on Tuesday failed to reach a verdict on key charges in the federal fraud trial of Washington State Auditor Troy Kelley and acquitted him on the single count where they could agree. Here is reaction to those developments:
- Salt Lake mayor appoints interim police chief as new leader Updated: Apr-26-16 4:44 pm
SALT LAKE CITY - An interim Salt Lake City police chief who's overseen the department amid rising protests over police shootings since his boss's forced resignation was appointed to the job full time on Tuesday.
- Atlanta deputy chief named new police chief in Durham Updated: Apr-26-16 2:54 pm
DURHAM, North Carolina - Atlanta Deputy Police Chief Cerelyn J. Davis has been appointed as Durham's new police chief.
- Moldovan anti-government protesters scuffle with police Updated: Apr-24-16 2:34 pm
CHSINAU, Moldova - Protesters scuffled with police who fired tear gas at them Sunday during a march in the Moldovan capital attended by thousands who were demanding the resignation of the government and early elections. More than a dozen people were injured.
- Burrage resigns from Oklahoma Tax Commission Updated: Apr-22-16 7:06 pm
OKLAHOMA CITY - The Oklahoma Tax Commission says its chairman is stepping down after a little more than a year in office.
- 2 front-runners face off in Baltimore mayoral race Updated: Apr-22-16 5:47 pm
BALTIMORE - Just one day ahead of the anniversary of the worst riot Baltimore had seen in more than 40 years, its residents will head to the polls to determine who will lead the city for the next four years.
- Rep. Schaeffer resigns, Chaudhuri appointed in Senate Updated: Apr-22-16 4:55 pm
RALEIGH, North Carolina - There have been more comings and goings at the North Carolina General Assembly before this year's work session begins on Monday.
- Romania party chief gets 2-year suspended sentence for fraud Updated: Apr-22-16 3:10 pm
BUCHAREST, Romania - A Romanian court on Friday handed a two-year suspended prison sentence to the chairman of Romania's main political party for voting fraud in a referendum to impeach Romania's former president.