- No. 25 Vols again face QB returning from injury in opener Updated: Sep-03-15 1:18 pm
KNOXVILLE, Tennessee - For the second straight year, Tennessee is beginning its season by facing a veteran quarterback coming back from injury.
- Twins rookie slugger Sano, closer Perkins out vs White Sox Updated: Sep-03-15 1:00 pm
- Summer makeover has 1st-place Mets primed for playoff run Updated: Sep-03-15 12:44 pm
NEW YORK - Thanks to a dramatic summer makeover, the New York Mets are pushing hard toward their first playoff appearance in nine years - with their oft-injured captain David Wright aboard for the ride.
- Hamilton considers closed cockpits in wake of driver deaths Updated: Sep-03-15 11:50 am
MONZA, Italy - Formula One leader Lewis Hamilton is giving serious thought to the possibility of closed cockpits following the death of fellow British driver Justin Wilson in IndyCar.
- Arsenal striker Danny Welbeck has surgery on left knee Updated: Sep-03-15 9:35 am
LONDON - Arsenal says striker Danny Welbeck will be "out for a period of months" after having surgery on his left knee.
- Froome pulls out of Spanish Vuelta with broken foot Updated: Sep-03-15 8:51 am
MADRID - Chris Froome pulled out of the Spanish Vuelta on Thursday after fracturing a bone in his right foot.
- Germany midfielder Marco Reus breaks toe in left foot Updated: Sep-03-15 4:38 am
FRANKFURT, Germany - Borussia Dortmund attacking midfielder Marco Reus has been ruled out of Germany's European Championship qualifiers against Poland and Scotland after breaking his big toe in his left foot.
- Giants swept out of LA in 2-1 loss to 1st-place Dodgers Updated: Sep-03-15 2:33 am
LOS ANGELES - After staggering through 26 games against playoff-contending teams with a 10-16 record, the San Francisco Giants face a slew of lesser competition.
- Kershaw's 15 Ks lead Dodgers over Giants 2-1 Updated: Sep-03-15 2:08 am
LOS ANGELES - Once Dodgers manager Don Mattingly crossed the foul line without signaling the bullpen in the ninth inning, Clayton Kershaw knew he was safe to finish off the San Francisco Giants.
- Gonzalez has 2 HRs, 7 RBIs as Rockies beat D-backs, 9-4 Updated: Sep-03-15 1:38 am
DENVER - After struggling at the start of the season, Carlos Gonzalez is finishing up strong.
- O'Malley, Morrison shine late, lift Seattle over Astros 8-3 Updated: Sep-03-15 1:29 am
HOUSTON - Houston was tied with the Seattle Mariners in the eighth inning on Wednesday night when Astros reliever Pat Neshek did something he had not done in his nine years in the majors.
- O'Malley, Morrison shine late, lift Seattle over Astros 8-3 Updated: Sep-03-15 1:02 am
HOUSTON - Rookie Shawn O'Malley was born and grew up in Washington in a family full of Seattle Mariners fans.
- Nola no match for Harvey as Phillies lose 9-4 to Mets Updated: Sep-03-15 12:47 am
NEW YORK - Aaron Nola can only hope his next matchup with Matt Harvey is much more competitive.
- Tejada has inside-the-park HR; Harvey, Mets top Phillies 9-4 Updated: Sep-03-15 12:17 am
NEW YORK - Matt Harvey felt dehydrated and Daniel Murphy had a sore quadriceps. Still, many New York Mets were smiling in the clubhouse as they packed up for their road trip late Wednesday night.
- Rays blow 2 leads and fall 7-6 to Orioles in 11 innings Updated: Sep-03-15 12:16 am
- Davis' HR in 11th inning gives Orioles 7-6 win over Rays Updated: Sep-02-15 11:57 pm
BALTIMORE - The music in the clubhouse was cranked to a deafening level, and almost everyone in the room was either laughing or wearing a broad smile.
- White Sox bats fail Rodon in 3-0 loss to Twins Updated: Sep-02-15 11:57 pm
MINNEAPOLIS - Chicago White Sox rookie Carlos Rodon was good enough to keep his team in the game Wednesday night.
- Feeling 'tight,' Serena Williams moves forward in Slam bid Updated: Sep-02-15 11:57 pm
NEW YORK - The enormity of what is at stake for Serena Williams at the U.S. Open - the first true Grand Slam in tennis in more than a quarter of a century - hit her Wednesday.
- Floyd returns from injury but Indians lose 5-1 to Jays Updated: Sep-02-15 11:27 pm
TORONTO - On a rough night for the Indians, Gavin Floyd's return gave everyone a something to smile about.
- Fan injured at Fenway Park expected to leave hospital Updated: Sep-02-15 10:14 pm
BOSTON - The Boston Red Sox say a fan who was injured at Fenway Park trying to catch a foul ball is expected to be released from a hospital Wednesday night.
- Giants pitcher Tim Lincecum seeks opinion on hip problem Updated: Sep-02-15 9:59 pm
LOS ANGELES - Tim Lincecum has sought another opinion on his hip to determine whether the two-time Cy Young Award-winning pitcher needs surgery.
- Mets to skip Syndergaard this weekend, Harvey once more Updated: Sep-02-15 8:57 pm
- Grizzlies rookie forward Jarell Martin fractures left foot Updated: Sep-02-15 8:32 pm
MEMPHIS, Tennessee - Memphis Grizzlies first-round draft pick Jarell Martin has a fractured left foot.
- Gray gives up milestone homer to Pujols, A's lose to Angels Updated: Sep-02-15 8:23 pm
OAKLAND, California - Sonny Gray's teammates had just given him a nice boost with three runs in the bottom of the first after the Angels put up a four-spot in the top half.
- After injuries, Tre Madden ready to run again for No. 8 USC Updated: Sep-02-15 8:21 pm
LOS ANGELES - Whenever Tre Madden got discouraged while he sat out two of the past three seasons with injuries, his Southern California teammates stepped in with positive thoughts and uplifting wishes.