- Hundreds of German cinemas refuse to show 'Avengers' film Updated: Apr-27-15 3:55 am
BERLIN - Several hundred movie theaters in Germany have refused to screen the new "Avengers" film in a dispute over rental fees with Disney.
- Seattle high school juniors boycott state test Updated: Apr-24-15 9:52 am
SEATTLE - High school juniors have been playing hooky this week, but not just to blow off steam. The students are protesting the state's new tests tied to the Common Core standards.
- Elway on Demaryius Thomas' absence: 'makes no sense' Updated: Apr-23-15 10:56 pm
ENGLEWOOD, Colorado - Denver Broncos general manager John Elway disagrees with Pro Bowl receiver Demaryius Thomas' strategy to skip the team's offseason program while angling for a long-term contract.
- IOC: Ukraine president Poroshenko against sports boycotts Updated: Apr-22-15 12:17 pm
LAUSANNE, Switzerland - The International Olympic Committee says that Ukraine state President Petro Poroshenko does not support boycotts of sports events.
- Purdue faculty urge repeal of religious objections law Updated: Apr-20-15 5:38 pm
WEST LAFAYETTE, Indiana - Purdue University faculty leaders are calling on the General Assembly to repeal a law that sparked boycotts and protests amid fears it would allow discrimination against gays and others.
- Thousands skip NY tests, raising questions about evaluations Updated: Apr-16-15 6:24 pm
NEW YORK - Some New York school districts are reporting that 60 to 70 percent of students did not take this week's mandated English tests, raising questions about how the growing "opt-out" movement may affect federal funds as well as teacher evaluations that are supposed to be pegged to the tests.
- New York districts report varying test participation rates Updated: Apr-14-15 7:10 pm
BUFFALO, New York - Tens of thousands of students sat out the first day of New York's statewide Common Core testing Tuesday in protest of the high-stakes assessments used to measure student and teacher performance.
- Montgomery officials debate ways to commemorate bus boycott Updated: Apr-14-15 5:04 am
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - Montgomery officials say they have begun planning how to celebrate the 60th anniversary of a bus boycott often cited as the start of the civil rights movement.
- Thousands likely to sit out New York English, math tests Updated: Apr-13-15 4:26 pm
BUFFALO, New York - Parent leaders of the movement to boycott New York's standardized tests say opting children out could do more for their education than the tests themselves.
- First bacteria-infected olive trees felled in Italy Updated: Apr-13-15 3:53 pm
ROME - Forestry officials in southern Italy have cut down the first of thousands of olive trees infected with deadly bacteria in a controversial bid to prevent its spread.
- Firefighters boycott French Quarter Festival work over pay Updated: Apr-11-15 3:20 pm
NEW ORLEANS - New Orleans Fire Chief Timothy McConnell says some firefighters refused to show up for voluntary shifts Friday at the French Quarter Festival because festival organizers were paying a lower-than-planned rate for the work.